Proposal: Let's Help WPG, Your Team's Offer For Trouba

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'll come up with a genuine offer and try not to offend Jets fans.

This actually hurts to type out.

Leafs offer:
Morgan Rielly
Nazem Kadri

Jets offer:
Jacob Trouba
Jack Roslovic
Mathieu Perrault

Interesting offer, all players involved are very good. Congrats on a real offer

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I like the original offer. Gardiner is garbage, the guy was exposed in the last playoff. Anything to damage a competitor in the west is welcome.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, 52 points by a d-man is "garbage." Let's continue to pillory a guy for one bad game.

Well, if you like the points then keep him....I bet there is a reason why many Leafs fans keep making proposal to trade him

And yes, considering he scored 52 pts, it's pretty bad.

Reactions: Snowman

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I doubt Jets do that, I think other teams beat that. Brown is useless to us, just no value to a team loaded with wingers already. Late 1st.

It's a bit future heavy. Also needed to shed some $$ in the deal. Assumed the Jets would say no to Zaitsev. I am not sure what a realistic substitute could be.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Well, if you like the points then keep him....I bet there is a reason why many Leafs fans keep making proposal to trade him

And yes, considering he scored 52 pts, it's pretty bad.
Many Leaf fans are making proposals to move him, because our strength is on the LH side with Rielly and Dermott (who is emerging as a top 4D), and Gardiner is a UFA who will be a luxury to re-sign given that we need to improve our RH side and should allocate funds there given our cap gets tighter after this season. WPG is in the same position, but their weakness is the LH side on D and their strength is on the right. Hence, my proposal which doesn't weaken either team this season in their hopeful runs at a Cup.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
My offer from the Oilers would be something around Bouchard. Salary would need to be added on Edmonton side and picks could be added to even things out, but Bouchard would be the main piece. He isn't going to step in and immediately replace Trouba, but I think he arguably has a higher ceiling (is obviously less proven). He could be a top 4 guy in a year or 2.

Carolina I'd pass. RHD is 1 place we don't need help.

Last edited:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
It's a bit future heavy. Also needed to shed some $$ in the deal. Assumed the Jets would say no to Zaitsev. I am not sure what a realistic substitute could be.
Gardiner (with them having permission to extend him) is the best option in my opinion. Their weakness is the LH side on D, ours is the right.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

I’m not insulting those player (Brown or any wingers), just offer us zero value. Tbh Leafs don’t have a lot to offer that others wouldn’t beat.....mostly bc your your strengths are the same as ours. Your likely going to say:

AM, Rielly, Marner, Nylander, JT, Kadri are all untouchable, this leaves Gardiner, depth wingers and ok but not great futures (none super interesting).

Just don’t see the Leafs beating multi other teams offers if the above true. NYI could easily beat the Leafs offer imo (just used them as a example bc of rumour interest).

I know your a reasonable poster, we’ve talkedmulti times in the past I just can’t see a Leafs offerbeating others offers.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Would love to have him in Detroit but no way are we moving 90% of the pieces that WPG would ask for so it's a wash.

Could try to get him as a UFA but I doubt he'll hit FA..

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Would love to have him in Detroit but no way are we moving 90% of the pieces that WPG would ask for so it's a wash.

Could try to get him as a UFA but I doubt he'll hit FA..

I think he is well on his way to UFA, it seems pretty obvious at this point actually.

Maybe Trouba isn't staring at pics of when he was in Red Wings pajamas right now, but the path is clearly laid out for him to be able to make bank and choose where he wants to play during his prime. Get the PowerPoint presentation ready in 2 years.

Reactions: WingsFanInExile

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Kadri+Gardiner+ seems fair given the circumstances. If Nylander was a center, then that would be the piece to center around.

Jets save cap next year, get a 2C, and a decent defenseman that they can re-sign.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
id need to know the number that gets trouba on a long term deal... for arguments sakes say he will take slightly above 6 which seems about as much as anyone might give him given his lack of top notch offensive skill...

I like trouba a lot for my bruins. I think he has the size/skill to partner with torey krug. so that's what im looking at... a pairing of trouba/krug

I have McAvoy ready to power a second pairing.

I have either kevan miller or adam McQuaid to keep around in my third pair

I suddenly am in a position where I can trade brandon carlo

brandon carlo under control long term at a lower cap hit... basically straight up for Jakob trouba looking for his ufa payday

I might be willing to throw in a pick but it wouldn't be a first rounder and id probably want something else back

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Love the sarcasm...
Except Gardiner is 10X better than Alzner (who at this point would be a cap dump) and Leivo and Carrick are both much better than McCarron who is likely a career AHLer.

I dont like the Habs, but to say Gardner is 10x better than Alzner? I feel you should have prefaced your statement with "Dramatization May have Occurred". Perhaps you can say that Gardiner skates better, but at least Alzner plays Defense.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I dont like the Habs, but to say Gardner is 10x better than Alzner? I feel you should have prefaced your statement with "Dramatization May have Occurred". Perhaps you can say that Gardiner skates better, but at least Alzner plays Defense.
Dashboard 1 (17).png

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
yea, I'd prefer the Leafs not make an offer... I'd prefer Gardiner to Trouba, even if he plays the wrong side. If TROUBA goes to ufa, what he gains in not having to give up assets he losses in contract value. In short... PASS.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Gardiner (with them having permission to extend him) is the best option in my opinion. Their weakness is the LH side on D, ours is the right.

Yeah true

I’m not insulting those player (Brown or any wingers), just offer us zero value. Tbh Leafs don’t have a lot to offer that others wouldn’t beat.....mostly bc your your strengths are the same as ours. Your likely going to say:

AM, Rielly, Marner, Nylander, JT, Kadri are all untouchable, this leaves Gardiner, depth wingers and ok but not great futures (none super interesting).

Just don’t see the Leafs beating multi other teams offers if the above true. NYI could easily beat the Leafs offer imo (just used them as a example bc of rumour interest).

I know your a reasonable poster, we’ve talkedmulti times in the past I just can’t see a Leafs offerbeating others offers.

Gardiner (ideally with an extension worked out prior)
Sandin
1st

I don't think it can get much better then that.

Top 4 LHD, potential top 4 LHD, and a 1st?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
While I don't think the chances of Trouba to Toronto were ever good, this arbitration result should put any remnants of that notion away.

The last thing the Leafs need for next summer is an RFA that is 1 year away from unrestricted free agency. It leaves them in the impossible position of one of:
- Sign him to a long term deal at a substantial raise; while only being able to bake in 1 year of RFA status.
- Have him go to arbitration again, and get a raise to take him to unrestricted free agency.
- Have him accept his qualifying offer, then likely lose him to free agency.
- Team take him to arbitration, maybe reduce his salary by 10% if he plays absolutely terrible.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I think he is well on his way to UFA, it seems pretty obvious at this point actually.

Maybe Trouba isn't staring at pics of when he was in Red Wings pajamas right now, but the path is clearly laid out for him to be able to make bank and choose where he wants to play during his prime. Get the PowerPoint presentation ready in 2 years.
You guys are still talking about the pajamas? Lol

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Given how difficult Trouba has been to the Jets organization (hold out saying he wanted more ice time blah blah), now arbitration on trying to get a deal done....I am not sure the headache that could ensue would be worth it. He is a skilled young D man, which you cannot take that away from him, but he appears to be a primadonna.

For the sake of taking on him without the above headache - perhaps the below may work:

Bruins:
Urho Vaakanainen
Ryan Donato
5th Round Pick

for

Jets:
Trouba
2nd Round Pick

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
While I don't think the chances of Trouba to Toronto were ever good, this arbitration result should put any remnants of that notion away.

The last thing the Leafs need for next summer is an RFA that is 1 year away from unrestricted free agency. It leaves them in the impossible position of one of:
- Sign him to a long term deal at a substantial raise; while only being able to bake in 1 year of RFA status.
- Have him go to arbitration again, and get a raise to take him to unrestricted free agency.
- Have him accept his qualifying offer, then likely lose him to free agency.
- Team take him to arbitration, maybe reduce his salary by 10% if he plays absolutely terrible.

I agree completely. This arbitration is a nightmare for the Jets, but it would also be a nightmare for most other teams. All Trouba has to do is accept his QO in 11 months and he walks a year later.

There is zero chance I would be supportive of the Rielly + Kadri trade proposal. They are both signed to great contracts for the next 4 years.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Yeah true

Gardiner (ideally with an extension worked out prior)
Sandin
1st

I don't think it can get much better then that.

Top 4 LHD, potential top 4 LHD, and a 1st?

With a reasonable extension in place I think that offer at least gets the Leafs in the conversation imo not sure if it would be the best offer in the end or not. Cheers

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
With a reasonable extension in place I think that offer at least gets the Leafs in the conversation imo not sure if it would be the best offer in the end or not. Cheers

Outside of an offer with an appropriate aged 2C, I feel pretty confident in the offer. Of course this is just message boards and who knows what GMs think or want to do.

I mean, it would be interesting to see if Chevy has had trade discussions around Trouba. It would be interesting to see what he's offered Trouba for or what he's turned down.

Reactions: Hunter368

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad