Speculation: Lets assume the Wings pick 6th

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
A couple of things really. Yes, I very much like that he is more of a play-maker than Wahlstrom. Wahlstrom may be more than "just a scorer" but he is not naturally a pass-first player. The bigger thing though is that I don't see him as having less pure skill or hockey IQ than Wahlstrom (apart from maybe his shot). Most nights I think he actually has more pure skill with the puck than Wahlstrom. So as between the two I don't feel like we need to sacrifice any skill at all to take the playmaker. In my eyes the game also comes more naturally to Farabee. Nothing looks forced or contrived with him and I like the way that the puck follows him. Lastly, I will be the first to admit that I have an affinity for high-motor players.

Yes he is smaller and will take more time to develop, but he isn't exactly tiny and is a MUCH better skater than Nyquist was at the same age. He won't make a living with his board play, but that is not what you are drafting him for. If you think that a player with Farabee's skill, vision and skating will not be able to survive in the NHL because of his size, you are absolutely saying that size matters more than skill does.

Anyways, I see him as a very highly skilled player that complements what we have in our system better than Wahlstrom (who I see as being pretty redundant).

Fair points. I'd personally rather wait for a draft where there is a center with that type of vision and playmaking. I feel better about the defenseman in our range, and think they can provide a bigger impact for this team.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Fair points. I'd personally rather wait for a draft where there is a center with that type of vision and playmaking. I feel better about the defenseman in our range, and think they can provide a bigger impact for this team.

I feel the exact same way that you do. I was just trying to envision how we would end up with a forward around 6th. I could see the brass thinking hey, we can comparatively get a better defensemen than forward in the 2nd so why don't we take a forward with our first pick. The defensive depth does run really deep this year.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
What's wrong with trading down to 8th/9th pick best available defenseman

Package the extra 2nd we received from trading down with the mike green (1st?) And moving back up to the 20th range and grabing a forward ?

8th and 20th seems pretty good to me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I feel the exact same way that you do. I was just trying to envision how we would end up with a forward around 6th. I could see the brass thinking hey, we can comparatively get a better defensemen than forward in the 2nd so why don't we take a forward with our first pick. The defensive depth does run really deep this year.

That was something Steve Kournianos said on the prospect board when he mocked us taking Farabee.

But I think that's a trap, especially because when you are making that pick at 5/6/7/8/9... you don't know how the remainder of the round is going to play out. Maybe there is some depth, but who are you going to get in round 2 that compares to the guys you can get in the 5-10 range? A lot of the guys I liked in that range I have already seen on the rise like Calen Addison, K'Andre Miller, etc. Not even sure someone like Tychonick would be there for our 2nd pick.

I just hope they don't overthink it. Don't reach on a center. Don't assume you are going to pull a rabbit out of the hat later on.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
That was something Steve Kournianos said on the prospect board when he mocked us taking Farabee.

But I think that's a trap, especially because when you are making that pick at 5/6/7/8/9... you don't know how the remainder of the round is going to play out. Maybe there is some depth, but who are you going to get in round 2 that compares to the guys you can get in the 5-10 range? A lot of the guys I liked in that range I have already seen on the rise like Calen Addison, K'Andre Miller, etc. Not even sure someone like Tychonick would be there for our 2nd pick.

I just hope they don't overthink it. Don't reach on a center. Don't assume you are going to pull a rabbit out of the hat later on.

Yeah, and Steve is far from the first person to say that. I have read similar comments from managers around the league when speaking about drafts generally. As I said in my original post, I agree that you just take who you feel is the best defensemen in the draft at 6 and move on to your next pick. We took a forward with our first-round pick last year so we shouldn't feel obligated to go hunting for a forward early in this draft. I think we will be in a good spot with our first, Ottawa's second and whatever Green fetches at the deadline.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, and Steve is far from the first person to say that. I have read similar comments from managers around the league when speaking about drafts generally. As I said in my original post, I agree that you just take who you feel is the best defensemen in the draft at 6 and move on to your next pick. We took a forward with our first-round pick last year so we shouldn't feel obligated to go hunting for a forward early in this draft. I think we will be in a good spot with our first, Ottawa's second and whatever Green fetches at the deadline.
Why does Detroit have Ottawas second again?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
They traded it to NYR in the Zib/Brassard deal I believe which we got for Smith.

I didnt realize that that was Ottawas 2nd. Is it just whichever pick is highest between the rangers pick and the Ottawa one?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Dobson at 6

Veleno/Mcleod/Groulx at or around 27 from Green trade

Merkley/Andersson/Woo(if we get lucky) at or around 34 from Ottawa

Jeez Bouchard put on a show tonight at the top prospects game, that isnt to be taken for gospel but its a good showing against top talent. Holland and Martin have been at Knights games recently as well. I think he would be on the radar at 6th overall if his season keeps going the way it is

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
At 6, if there's a single defenseman I like best, I take him with no hesitation.

If there are two defensemen that I like exactly the same, I use my full time to see if I can con the team at #7 to swap picks, grab an extra asset, and still get a guy I love.

But realistically, I just take the best blueliner available.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Obviously I am hoping for Dahlin but it just won't happen so if I get the chance to take Boqvist I do that. I really hope we can pick up another first

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Obviously I am hoping for Dahlin but it just won't happen so if I get the chance to take Boqvist I do that. I really hope we can pick up another first

I really want Boqvist. I think he could be one of the best D in the league. There are lots of good D in this draft but it's really become 3 tiers for me concerning our top ten pick:
1. Dahlin
2. Boqvist
3. Hughes, Smith, Dobson, Bouchard, Merkley (in order of preference)

If we can land a potential #1D (I think all of those guys have #1 upside) with our pick and then get another strong pick out of a Green first that would be amazing. If we get another 1st, we'll have 4 picks in the top 40... Pretty awesome for a draft famous for it's D depth.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
I really want Boqvist. I think he could be one of the best D in the league. There are lots of good D in this draft but it's really become 3 tiers for me concerning our top ten pick:
1. Dahlin
2. Boqvist

If we can land a potential #1D (I think all of those guys have #1 upside) with our pick and then get another strong pick out of a Green first that would be amazing. If we get another 1st, we'll have 4 picks in the top 40... Pretty awesome for a draft famous for it's D depth.

Any reason you dont have Bode Wilde in your list? Where would you rank him overall (all skaters)?

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Any reason you dont have Bode Wilde in your list? Where would you rank him overall (all skaters)?
I haven't seen enough of him is a lot of it. Mostly though I just sort of forgot him (there are too many good D in this draft!) and would pretty happily include him in the end of tier 3. I don't really have a complete ranking at this point but I'd put him just outside the top 10. If I had to do a quick ranking it'd be something like:
1.Dahlin 2.Svechnikov 3.Boqvist. 4.Zadina. 5.Tkachuk. 6.Hughes. 7.Smith 8.Dobson 9.Wahlstrom 10.Bouchard 11.Merkley 12. Wilde

Last edited:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I haven't seen enough of him is a lot of it. Mostly though I just sort of forgot him (there are too many good D in this draft!) and would pretty happily include him in the end of tier 3. I don't really have a complete ranking at this point but I'd put him just outside the top 10. If I had to do a quick ranking it'd be something like:
1.Dahlin 2.Svechnikov 3.Boqvist. 4.Zadina. 5.Tkachuk. 6.Hughes. 7.Smith 8.Dobson 9.Wahlstrom 10.Bouchard 11.Merkley 12. Wilde
WOW that top 10 looks fantastic, my preference is probably a little different but I like them all.... that's encouraging lol

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
WOW that top 10 looks fantastic, my preference is probably a little different but I like them all.... that's encouraging lol
Yeah honestly I feel like as long as the Wings don't go off the board or reach for a center I will walk away from this draft happy. Pick anyone in that top 10 and you're getting a great player. I'd much prefer one of the D to one of the wingers but all of the wingers are good enough that I'd only be a little upset. We need D more and it's a more valuable position, but if the clear BPA is Zadina, then you take Zadina.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
1. Dahlin
2. Boqvist

Yeah man this is the year we hopefully get our dman of the future. There are some good choices. If we can get the extra first it goes a long way in adding to our pool.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I haven’t been a fan of how the 1st round has played out the last 2 years, but I’m very optimistic things are going to work themselves out in our favor this year.

The wingers who are worth it to take over the defenseman will probably go in the 2-4 range. We will probably end up in the 5-8 range and either get a bigger defenseman that has big minute upside (Dobson/Bouchard), or a very slick offensive guy who will have big time point production potential (Hughes/Boqvist).

If we were to win the lottery, even better. I’ll take a winger when they are as good as Svechnikov or Zadina are, all day . Larkin looking great and taking Rasmussen last year gives me some relief they won’t reach on a center, and there’s really just no center you should do it for. Basically taking Hayton or something would be the only situation where I’m going to have a big issue with our first pick this year. I’m optimistic this is one where we will be happy with the outcome for the most part :)

Last edited:

WxIxNxGxSxFxAxNx26

Mar 11, 2015
AZ From CA
Don't know if this is horrible or not. Trying to see if we could land Dahlin without winning the lottery. Would whoever lands the first pick consider trading it to us for our 2 first rounders(considering we land a 1st for Green) and say our later 2nd for 1st overall?
Just trying to see if you all think a AZ team that has holes all over consider something like that.

To Det: 1st overall

To AZ: 7th overall, 25th overall (Green Trade, Washington Maybe?) And one of our second rounders.

Overpayment orrrrr??

Or does that pick(1OA) not get traded plan and simple???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad