Speculation: Lets assume the Wings pick 6th

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
As far as Stevie, he pulled a page out of vintage Ken Holland's playbook. He recognized a soft area in the market and he drafted there.

When everyone was avoiding Russians, he doubled down.

And what really is different in Wright's plan? Everyone is drafting speedy and skilled midgets nowadays and laughing about the Rasmussen pick. Red Wings are going after size, skating and character. Totally different direction, because no one knows, in which kind of NHL those kids are playing after next 8 years, when they are in their prime. Why is that wrong now, if the game can randomly change again just as the Russian market changed randomly.

Yzerman gambled with Russians, yeah. Ukrainian war happened and Ruble collapse did help him a lot. Suddenly, almost all middle6-level Russian forwards in KHL didn't get paid as they earlier did and were ready to jump over the pond. Did Yzerman knew in 2010 that Russia is gonna have a war in 2014?

My god he is a profet. I really want him back.

While Tyler Wright talks about "setting trends" and stuff, Yzerman says stuff like:
"We believe he fits into the style of play that we play."

Why isn't big sized, great skating physical team a signal of our future style of play? Why those Wright's comments aren't comparable to Yzerman's comments? Same f***ing message. Wright's idea is hard-nosed 90's Red Wings team which is total pain to play against. Yzerman's 2010 idea was different. Maybe he was setting a trend. Oh my god.

If Yzerman was setting a trend in 2010 for skill and speed, maybe the big picture in ideas was also identical. Think outside the box. Don't be a copycat.

Detroit wants blood, and they are giving that for people again.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yzerman gambled with Russians, yeah. Ukrainian war happened and Ruble collapse did help him a lot. Suddenly, almost all middle6-level Russian forwards in KHL didn't get paid as they earlier did and were ready to jump over the pond. Did Yzerman knew in 2010 that Russia is gonna have a war in 2014?

I fail to see at all how there is a connection here.

Why isn't big sized, great skating physical team a signal of our future style of play? Why those Wright's comments aren't comparable to Yzerman's comments? Same ****ing message. Wright's idea is hard-nosed 90's Red Wings team which is total pain to play against. Yzerman's 2010 idea was different. Maybe he was setting a trend. Oh my god.

With all the head injuries and whatnot, why in the hell would the game revert to how it was in the 90's? There is simply no good reason to believe that would be the case.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
With all the head injuries and whatnot, why in the hell would the game revert to how it was in the 90's? There is simply no good reason to believe that would be the case.

Winning board battles doesn't mean head injury in every possible contact.

I know you like skill players, maximizing skill always at drafting and Red Wings direction doesn't please you. Me either. But it's still interesting as it is.

Because this is something different we have used to.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
And what really is different in Wright's plan? Everyone is drafting speedy and skilled midgets nowadays and laughing about the Rasmussen pick. Red Wings are going after size, skating and character. Totally different direction, because no one knows, in which kind of NHL those kids are playing after next 8 years, when they are in their prime. Why is that wrong now, if the game can randomly change again just as the Russian market changed randomly.

Why isn't big sized, great skating physical team a signal of our future style of play? Why those Wright's comments aren't comparable to Yzerman's comments? Same ****ing message. Wright's idea is hard-nosed 90's Red Wings team which is total pain to play against. Yzerman's 2010 idea was different. Maybe he was setting a trend. Oh my god.

If Yzerman was setting a trend in 2010 for skill and speed, maybe the big picture in ideas was also identical. Think outside the box. Don't be a copycat.

Detroit wants blood, and they are giving that for people again.

Yeah, nobody is drafting size anymore.

Rasmussen skates nice for a big guy.
But Lindstrom and Kotkansalo aren't great skaters at all. Nor are they "hard-nosed."

You really think the Red Wings are going all "legion of doom?"

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I know you like skill players, maximizing skill always at drafting and Red Wings direction doesn't please you. Me either. But it's still interesting as it is.

It is interesting. You at least need a mix of some of both. I think we are going to see a swing back in the skill direction this year, we will see.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I fail to see at all how there is a connection here.

And even if a team is successful at employing it, it's simply not as entertaining a brand of hockey.

Now I know the team only cares about success, and plenty of fans will watch a winner, regardless of style, but I have zero interest in re-embracing a team if it's a clone of the Ducks and Bruins era of ''education by intimidation". Never liked seeing elsewhere, regardless of how Detroit was doing, and I sure wouldn't be a fan of it here.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
at # 6 I would take
Evan%20Bouchard.jpg

Evan Bouchard
Ht/Wt: 6' 2"/181 lbs
Position: RHD
Team: London (OHL)
Evan Bouchard's Player Profile

Jeff Marek - Sportsnet - January 10th: "A smart player who never panics and has a cannon from the point. With his London Knights in rebuild mode it will be challenging for Bouchard to stand out on a weaker squad, but make no mistake, he is legit."

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - January 9th: "Strong puck-moving defender has taken on bigger minutes with London this fall with Olli Juolevi and Victor Mete not returning. Runs the power play with precision, uses his great skating ability to make up for mistakes and owns a projectable frame. All that and plays the right-side?"

Craig Button - TSN January - 8th: " Bouchard has excellent sense and feel for the game, complimented by a poise that makes you think his heart rate is 40 beats per minute. A great passer, Bouchard has the ability to push the level of his game higher when required and makes the tough plays look easy."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - December 6th: "Thinks the game at such a high level that he never panics with the puck. Given more minutes with the opportunity to produce, he’s responded to the challenge."

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
And even if a team is successful at employing it, it's simply not as entertaining a brand of hockey.

Now I know the team only cares about success, and plenty of fans will watch a winner, regardless of style, but I have zero interest in re-embracing a team if it's a clone of the Ducks and Bruins era of ''education by intimidation". Never liked seeing elsewhere, regardless of how Detroit was doing, and I sure wouldn't be a fan of it here.
Everything in the league is set up to make it near impossible to build a team that’s dominant skill-wise and even harder to maintain it. Lottery gives you less than 50% to get #1OA even if you’re worst. No team is guaranteed top 3 picks. Salary cap punishes those who manage to build that elusive top contender and forces them to re-stock and re-tool around ever more expensive core players.

I know we all want the 95-08 Wings but it ain’t happening. Even building a Pittsburgh or Chicago or Tampa is now even more unlikely.

Talent is going to be more spread out, with events like NJ and Philly winning top 2 picks last season or a conference finalist plummeting into the bottom 3 the following year. Right now you either get with the program or you settle into being another Edmonton/Buffalo that play the lottery year after year. Vegas leading the league may be part random accident, but it also says something about the current league. What team, other than maybe Tampa and Pittsburgh, really have a huge edge in terms of skill? Some of the best d-men and players in the world are outside the playoffs; Karlsson, Suter, Doughty, McDavid, Eichel, Toews&Kane... while Boston and Vegas who are built quite differently with few high picks are near the top. Pittsburgh won 3 cups by managing the impossible; acquiring 2 of the top 3 players in the world. That is not a model we can follow.

We need skill, but unless we’re clearly #1 in Skill (Pittsburgh) it doesn’t matter if we’re #4 or #7 or even #10 in skill. What we need is something others don’t have. Whether it’s superior depth, speed, size, ”competitiveness”, coaching.. I think that type of team has a big chance of being successful going forward because no longer can you expect teams to draft top 3 several times in a short timeframe.

Reactions: Red Stanley

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Everything in the league is set up to make it near impossible to build a team that’s dominant skill-wise and even harder to maintain it. Lottery gives you less than 50% to get #1OA even if you’re worst. No team is guaranteed top 3 picks. Salary cap punishes those who manage to build that elusive top contender and forces them to re-stock and re-tool around ever more expensive core players.

I know we all want the 95-08 Wings but it ain’t happening. Even building a Pittsburgh or Chicago or Tampa is now even more unlikely.

Talent is going to be more spread out, with events like NJ and Philly winning top 2 picks last season or a conference finalist plummeting into the bottom 3 the following year. Right now you either get with the program or you settle into being another Edmonton/Buffalo that play the lottery year after year. Vegas leading the league may be part random accident, but it also says something about the current league. What team, other than maybe Tampa and Pittsburgh, really have a huge edge in terms of skill? Some of the best d-men and players in the world are outside the playoffs; Karlsson, Suter, Doughty, McDavid, Eichel, Toews&Kane... while Boston and Vegas who are built quite differently with few high picks are near the top. Pittsburgh won 3 cups by managing the impossible; acquiring 2 of the top 3 players in the world. That is not a model we can follow.

We need skill, but unless we’re clearly #1 in Skill (Pittsburgh) it doesn’t matter if we’re #4 or #7 or even #10 in skill. What we need is something others don’t have. Whether it’s superior depth, speed, size, ”competitiveness”, coaching.. I think that type of team has a big chance of being successful going forward because no longer can you expect teams to draft top 3 several times in a short timeframe.
Get with WHAT program, exactly? I didn't say anything about expecting a certain level of success, let alone dominance. I simply enjoy a puck possession style of play a lot more than dump and chase, physical, grind along the boards hockey.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

a recent study pointed more towards repeated hits to the head, and not just concussions, as being the driver behind CTE. I'm getting the impression that we're going to see head injuries split into two directions. One, with what seemed to happened to Franzen, where a concussion or a series of concussions results in an immediate physical and mental health change. A second where an accumulation of wear and tear that might not have ever at one time resulted in a more traumatic injury but which builds to a debilitating condition.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL's reaction is to let obstruction slip in to slow the game down a bit, in an attempt to take away some of the harder hits. We've seen it with some of the rule changes taking away hits to the head, blindside hits, etc. Drafting big guys who just eat up space and who can slow everything down by clogging everything up isn't the worst idea. Not exactly fun to watch, though.

It doesn't help that the Wings ability to develop blueliners has looked pretty darn miserable. Drafting guys who need a lot of work doesn't fill me with confidence.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Get with WHAT program, exactly? I didn't say anything about expecting a certain level of success, let alone dominance. I simply enjoy a puck possession style of play a lot more than dump and chase, physical, grind along the boards hockey.
And that "puck possession style" you like is going extinct in the NHL. That's not to say more skill doesn't lead to more puck possession, but these days you can hardly tell what teams are supposed "puck possession" teams. You need a miracle of events to transpire in order to put together a team that's significantly more skilled than the other top 10-15 teams in the league, which is what it takes to truly play that style night in and night out.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And that "puck possession style" you like is going extinct in the NHL. That's not to say more skill doesn't lead to more puck possession, but these days you can hardly tell what teams are supposed "puck possession" teams. You need a miracle of events to transpire in order to put together a team that's significantly more skilled than the other top 10-15 teams in the league, which is what it takes to truly play that style night in and night out.
Bob likes tacos. The store only sells burritos. So Bob isn't allowed to like tacos anymore?

I never said, if Detroit does anything other than replicate The Russian Five, I'm out. There are lots of different things I like about hockey. The NHL can evolve into whatever it pleases, and teams will strategize accordingly. But none of that has any authority over what a given fan considers entertaining.

So, if whatever approach the Wings utilize next ends up resulting in an overall product I like to watch, I'll watch. If not, I won't. Pretty simple.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Dump and Chase has always been boring, and so has, whatever Blashill calls his gameplan, not even sure what it is, but it stinks. Personally, if we had one or two lines that play puck possession and the third and 4th lines dump and chase, I think that is a decent style to watch. as you get a mix and play to strengths of lines. However, obviously we don't have enough talent to play exciting hockey right now though, so I guess it is moot point until we do. If we pick 6th, I would trade down to 7,8,9,10 if the other team takes Jeff Blashill with them.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Bob likes tacos. The store only sells burritos. So Bob isn't allowed to like tacos anymore?
Yes, but if the entire food industry moves away from tacos Bob might end up one of those bitter old men saying how it was all better in his youth when everyone sold tacos, as his grandchildren ask "grandpa what's a tacco??". And maybe if Bob had just tried a Burrito he would have found it wasn't so bad.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yes, but if the entire food industry moves away from tacos Bob might end up one of those bitter old men saying how it was all better in his youth when everyone sold tacos, as his grandchildren ask "grandpa what's a tacco??". And maybe if Bob had just tried a Burrito he would have found it wasn't so bad.
In your extension of the analogy, food industry fads keep changing, and certain fads are likely to recur over time.

That, and it's not nearly important enough of an industry to eat a food you don't enjoy. There are dozens of varieties of food (entertainment) out there, so they can sell what they like, and if it's not what I enjoy, I can take my business to a pizza place (another team, or sport, or channel, or even medium) instead.

But not Little Caesars. That stuff is cardboard. :laugh:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Thats your opinion. I also call bullshit on you no embracing the team if they end up like the Ducks. They had the right blend of skill and toughness to win. They didnt just intimidate, they had the second best dman in the league intimidating guys, they had a 90 point centerman and 50 goal winger that would punch you in the face if you pissed them off. I bet 90% of wings fans would rather a team like that than a complete skill team, youre in the minority.

No team is going to be the 2008 wings anymore, it just wont happen (even that team was fairly tough though) but what you can have is a balance of skill and toughness which is what the wings are working on. It will be way more entertaining to watch than Nyquists and Tatars being to scared to go in the corners come playoff time

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Call what you like. I would not have taken Chris Pronger for free, because of how he played, and I disliked Randy Carlyle even more than Marc Crawford, because while I hated the Avs, I still respected several of their players and how they played, but I just plain hated the way the Ducks played hockey.

And for me, popularity is irrelevant to that preference, because IT'S JUST AN OPINION ON WHAT SOMEBODY LIKES. So please don't tell somebody what they can or cannot like.

YMMV.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I didn't even like Maltby when he was here, because he was a mix of cheap shots, and feigning innocence to the refs. I didn't like the extra curriculars that Chelios did WHILE IN A DETROIT UNIFORM, let alone while in Chicago. And despite how well he does several other things, I've yet to fully embrace Larkin, just because of how annoying his diving/whining has been in the past.

If Marchand came here, he could score 50 goals a year, and I wouldn't cheer for him, because he's a dirty player.

So while you're perfectly entitled to support whatever players or style you like, allow me to do the same.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I didn't even like Maltby when he was here, because he was a mix of cheap shots, and feigning innocence to the refs. I didn't like the extra curriculars that Chelios did WHILE IN A DETROIT UNIFORM, let alone while in Chicago. And despite how well he does several other things, I've yet to fully embrace Larkin, just because of how annoying his diving/whining has been in the past.

If Marchand came here, he could score 50 goals a year, and I wouldn't cheer for him, because he's a dirty player.

So while you're perfectly entitled to support whatever players or style you like, allow me to do the same.

you might be the one person in detroits fanbase that dislikes gordie howe

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
You are gonna love it, when we piss everybody in the league. Hated and feared Mighty Red Wings of Detroit.

I hope we trade for Marchand and get him to be the vet leader.

It's weird how you concoct vision for the Red Wings, ascribe it to the Red Wings as if it's well known fact, and then celebrate it as if it is a brilliant plan we should all support.

That said, I love Marchand, cheap shots an all.

I hoped Tatar might be more like Marchand, but his development has stopped.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Haha, never saw him play, but fair enough. :D

95 percent of the people on these boards never saw him play.
I barely remember watching Gordie play in his last year on HNIC and at the all star game.

And by then, it wasn't even really Gordie Howe.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's weird how you concoct vision for the Red Wings, ascribe it to the Red Wings as if it's well known fact, and then celebrate it as if it is a brilliant plan we should all support.

Yes, I can love any kind of plan, when it's a clear plan.

As for myself, I would love puck-possession hockey, but like 90s Red Wings, they were different animal at first and then changed for another kind of animal.

I don't care as long as they build a winner, based on a some kind of plan and thinking a bit out of the box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->