GDT: Let the Free Agency Madness begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North
The question for the Canes is whether it is smarter to maintain the defense OR to amplify the offense long-term. I know what the conventional wisdom likes to say, but I wonder if the Canes see premium defense as an inefficiency. Defensemen spend way more time on the ice than forwards, on average, to generate on-ice impacts. I would not be shocked if, in the event that they can get the term right, that the Canes go with Pesce over a forward upgrade.
I can see the "bean-counter" side of them struggling with the thought of paying #3 or #4D money to a #5 or #6D.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I can see the "bean-counter" side of them struggling with the thought of paying #3 or #4D money to a #5 or #6D.

Oh sure, but especially in the case of Pesce, that argument doesn't hold up. There definitely might be a fear that Pesce will someday decline into a #5/6D in 5-6 years, but he certainly will not be that for a while. I still think that the Canes might see Pesce as the guy that they want to keep, at least if there's a way to get the Pesce camp to agree to a 5-6 year term (If they're able to do that, I wouldn't be surprised if the AAV is over $7.3M a season). They don't really have a true successor to him in the farm, as Morrow is more of a successor to Brent Burns and not Pesce.

Last edited:

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North
Oh sure, but especially in the case of Pesce, that argument doesn't hold up. There definitely might be a fear that Pesce will someday decline into a #5/6D in 5-6 years, but he certainly will not be that for a while. I still think that the Canes might see Pesce as the guy that they want to keep, at least if there's a way to get the Pesce camp to agree to a 5-6 year term (If they're able to do that, I wouldn't be surprised if the AAV is over $7.3M a season). They don't really have a true successor to him in the farm, as Morrow is more of a successor to Brent Burns and not Pesce.
Absolutely. They may very well see Pesce as the #2D but keep he and Slavin apart to spread the talent. I think if anyone is moved, it will be Skjei. Personally I would attempt to keep them all because there are bound to be injuries or inevitable decline in play for some over time.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Absolutely. They may very well see Pesce as the #2D but keep he and Slavin apart to spread the talent. I think if anyone is moved, it will be Skjei. Personally I would attempt to keep them all because there are bound to be injuries or inevitable decline in play for some over time.

To me, a Skjei extension only makes sense if it's 2 years, similar to Orlov. Nikishin may well be the best thing since sliced bread, but for a contending outfit, it may be ideal for Nikishin's first season to be on a bottom-pair.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
$7.3M would make him the 25th or so highest-paid D-man. I love some Pesce, but that's an incredibly rich contract for a guy with less offensive talent than Slavin. That reeks of becoming Vlasic 2.0 within a few years. His comparables/peers are probably closer to the $6M range (Schmidt/Brodin/Gavrikov)

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
$7.3M would make him the 25th or so highest-paid D-man. I love some Pesce, but that's an incredibly rich contract for a guy with less offensive talent than Slavin. That reeks of becoming Vlasic 2.0 within a few years. His comparables/peers are probably closer to the $6M range (Schmidt/Brodin/Gavrikov)
big no on pesce for 7.3 million.

Did either of you understand my point? The reason to potentially make the Pesce extension a higher base salary would specifically be to prevent it from becoming a Vlasic-esque contract. A higher salary today would mean not paying him $6.5M/season or so when he's no longer a viable NHL player. In my eyes, anyways, a 5 year contract around the $7M+ marker is doable for the Hurricanes in order to avoid the seasons where Pesce's play may actually fall off a cliff.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Did either of you understand my point? The reason to potentially make the Pesce extension a higher base salary would specifically be to prevent it from becoming a Vlasic-esque contract. A higher salary today would mean not paying him $6.5M/season or so when he's no longer a viable NHL player.
or no to both scenarios.

7.3 for 2 seasons, maybe. big maybe.

0 interest in 6.5 million for 7 seasons or 7.3 for 4-5 seasons. just not worth it.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
or no to both scenarios.

7.3 for 2 seasons, maybe. big maybe.

0 interest in 6.5 million for 7 seasons or 7.3 for 4-5 seasons. just not worth it.

If Orlov got $7.75M for two seasons, a hypothetical two season Pesce extension would start at $8M, easily. Maybe Carolina's willing to splurge like that if the term is that short, but IMO it depends on their roster priorities.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
orlov is better than Pesce though

I don't agree. I think that Pesce and Orlov are equivalent players as far as positive impact is concerned. If you ask teams in the UFA market, though, I would bet good money that Pesce is worth more than Orlov for numerous reasons. The fact that Pesce's right-handed is probably the most glaring of said reasons.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
DeMelo will be available for cheaper and less years. Sign him instead of chasing big money on pesce. Teams will be hot and heavy over pesce, montour, and roy

Canes can focus on quality deals for Brodie, Demelo, Schultz, or Tanev. Im sure brodie, schultz and tanev will be the immediate fall back guys. Target Demelo early and he would be a perfect partner for orlov for one year and nikishin the next

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
If you have to sign a whole roster of PTOs in order to play a doubleheader in the preseason, maybe the issue is the doubleheader in the preseason.
I wonder if this is anything more than circumvention of the minimum preseason game requirement:

Schedule 2 the same day, bring in a bunch of PTOs you have no intention to sign, and move on from the preseason.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

man, Dave from circa the 2016 draft is happy. Holy hell what a bad draft for forwards that ended up being after Keller went off the board. Kyrou, some midget, and some giraffe are the only 3 other notable forwards once you get past the Keller pick.

Hey your boy Perlini. He was your boy right?

Reactions: DaveG

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
The NHLPA probably loves it. Guys who wouldn't get a chance at all are at least getting PTOs. Few, if any, will likely make the team, but:

BBA always does a good job blanketing other posters in the zone. I can tell this offseason he's really taken coach's feedback to work on his gif/60. His toolbox is getting awfully full.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I wonder if this is anything more than circumvention of the minimum preseason game requirement:

Schedule 2 the same day, bring in a bunch of PTOs you have no intention to sign, and move on from the preseason.
Our new strategy for not playing any NHL regulars in any preseason games at all, as Rod notoriously despises them and wants them to be abolished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad