GDT: Let the Free Agency Madness begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I think we silently shop Skjei and Chatfield.

Skjei would get a really good return, and Chatfield feels like TvR

Opening night with no trades:

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce
Skjei - TDA
It’d suck to not recoup any assets from Pesce and Skjej if they both walk but that’s as deep as any d-corp I can remember. Perhaps to this front office they’ve gotten to the point where a potential Cup final appearance outweighs the value of players/picks that teams are offering.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
It’d suck to not recoup any assets from Pesce and Skjej if they both walk but that’s as deep as any d-corp I can remember. Perhaps to this front office they’ve gotten to the point where a potential Cup final appearance outweighs the value of players/picks that teams are offering.
You gotta think about selling one or the other, not both. Keep 1 as your own rental and maybe they decide to stay is a better choice

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I think we silently shop Skjei and Chatfield.

Skjei would get a really good return, and Chatfield feels like TvR

Opening night with no trades:

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce
Skjei - TDA

I'm thinking that Chat could turn out to be one of those "inefficiencies" the Borg likes to identify and take advantage of. I.e., wondering if he may have the potential to be a long term solid 2nd pair d-man at a bargain cap hit. Not for this season, but wondering if they might keep a track open for him to earn it if he continues to develop.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I'm thinking that Chat could turn out to be one of those "inefficiencies" the Borg likes to identify and take advantage of. I.e., wondering if he may have the potential to be a long term solid 2nd pair d-man at a bargain cap hit. Not for this season, but wondering if they might keep a track open for him to earn it if he continues to develop.
He is a UFA after this season and I have very little doubt that he will be completely uninterested in re-signing here if he is not given a real role.

He's been a combination of a great find and a guy who's responded well to the coaching and mentorship available here. But he's not a 21 year old RFA. He's a guy who will look out for himself if we can't give him a role and a legitimate paycheck. You can only take advantages of guys who outperform their contracts as long as they have a contract with you, and when guys are paid less than what they bring to the table, that tends to be something they're very eager to change.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I’d rather trade Chatfield than Skjei or Pesce when it comes down to it. We know what we have with Skjei and Pesce, Chatfield is still a guess, IMO. And with Chat being just 18 months to two years younger, I’d rather have the known than the unknown. If Chatfield was say 24 then I’d be all for keeping him, but a 27 year old still learning the position vs a 28/29 year old who has established himself, I’d take the two established players, peddle the younger one to a team looking to possibly rebuild with him or flip him later for younger prospects. We are in the midst of gaining another Cup and experience not potential is what we need.

BTW we are expected to have over 31 million in cap space next year, so both at 7 million would be a solid signing IMO

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Chatfield isn’t getting you much of anything back. He doesn’t have the track record for a significant return.

If they aren’t dealing Pesce or Skjei I’d rather keep Chatfield as depth.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
At this point, now that we're at the beginning of September, I think the front office will probably keep both Pesce and Skjei since apparently there isn't an appealing enough trade to be made (i.e. not a good enough forward to pursue or it's too costly for the mystery forward in question).

I'm guessing around the trade deadline is the most likely time one of them will be traded.

If Vancouver has another bad season, then maybe if we're lucky, Pettersson pushes Vancouver to trade him to a contender before next summer. I would think Pesce/Skjei as part of a larger package (obviously neither alone would be anywhere near enough) for EP would be the time for Carolina to trade one of our surplus of roster defensemen.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
What do the Canes do with Jones?
_4eo_aq0_400x400.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
At this point, now that we're at the beginning of September, I think the front office will probably keep both Pesce and Skjei since apparently there isn't an appealing enough trade to be made (i.e. not a good enough forward to pursue or it's too costly for the mystery forward in question).

That may be the case, but you never know. The Faulk trade didn't happen until Late Sept. Granted, that was a prospect and a lesser NHL guy (Edmundson) coming back so an easier trade to make than trying to get an impact forward so you may be right.
I'm guessing around the trade deadline is the most likely time one of them will be traded.

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't see that as likely. Teams at the deadline rarely trade a key player like a Pesce or Skjei, particularly if they are playing well and getting ready for the playoffs. They look to ADD to the team at the deadline, not take two steps forward and 1 step back. I don't remember all the deadline deals, but has there been many deals like that, where a top team trades one of their really good players as part of the deal? (not a rhetorical question, I'm wondering if there are examples).

If the Canes are struggling or one of Pesce/Skjei struggles, then sure, I can see it. If the Canes are playing well and Pesce/Skjei are, playing well, then I don't see it.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
That may be the case, but you never know. The Faulk trade didn't happen until Late Sept. Granted, that was a prospect and a lesser NHL guy (Edmundson) coming back so an easier trade to make than trying to get an impact forward so you may be right.

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't see that as likely. Teams at the deadline rarely trade a key player like a Pesce or Skjei, particularly if they are playing well and getting ready for the playoffs. They look to ADD to the team at the deadline, not take two steps forward and 1 step back. I don't remember all the deadline deals, but has there been many deals like that, where a top team trades one of their really good players as part of the deal? (not a rhetorical question, I'm wondering if there are examples).

If the Canes are struggling or one of Pesce/Skjei struggles, then sure, I can see it. If the Canes are playing well and Pesce/Skjei are, playing well, then I don't see it.

I could see it if the return was a legit top line forward who the Canes had a good chance of keeping long term. To wit: AITAH for hoping the Nucks don't sniff the playoffs and Petttersen demands a trade, lol?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I could see it if the return was a legit top line forward who the Canes had a good chance of keeping long term. To wit: AITAH for hoping the Nucks don't sniff the playoffs and Petttersen demands a trade, lol?
I'm just not sure they get top $$$ in a trade for Pettersson at the deadline vs. waiting til off-season. Particularly if a guy like Pesce or Skjei is part of the deal, as they'll be UFAs at the end of the season so not much value going back to another team who isn't sniffing the playoffs.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
It's a fight between billion dollar companies and multibillion dollar companies. The end result as a consumer well its obvious. Make sure you are well loved. As you the customer will be the one footing the bill

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm still crossing my fingers that the Canes and Pesce will find a way to extend. I wonder if both sides are able to work a compromise of some sort. Something like maybe a 5 year pact in exchange for Orlov's cap hit. If the fear among the FO is how Pesce's game might age, a contract like that could satisfy both parties. If Pesce's game holds up, too, he would still be able to command a large, Killorn-esque contract from somebody in his age-34 season.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm very curious if instead of trading Skjei or Pesce, the Canes look into the Patrick Kane market. The Canes have enough cap space to sign him to a 1x$2.5M if they send Lemieux and Kochetkov down to the AHL. Even though he doesn't have great 5-on-5 impacts these days, the Canes are perhaps the only team out there with the luxury to shelter him on the 4th line at 5-on-5 and then place him on the 1st PP unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad