Value of: Leon Draisaitl

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Entirely possible and reasonable. Depends on if anything stupid comes our way in offer sheets.

I can't remember what the restrictions are, if any, regarding trading a player whose offer sheet you just matched.

That said, I don't see an offer sheet as a likely option for teams, and 4 firsts isn't exactly a great return for someone like Draisaitl.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Trouba+ (Connor?)

I know we need Trouba probably more than Drai, but him and Scheif could be like a Crosby/Malkin lite. :amazed:

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
I can't remember what the restrictions are, if any, regarding trading a player whose offer sheet you just matched.

That said, I don't see an offer sheet as a likely option for teams, and 4 firsts isn't exactly a great return for someone like Draisaitl.

The thing is, I'm not sure the Oils would be able to get four 1st (or the equivalent) on the TRADE market for a SIGNED Draisaitl, at say $10.0m per...the market for that kind of contract will be as limited as the number of teams who could be tempted to make such an offersheet. So he might not get that kind of return, unless they are dealing with the team that actually made the offersheet in the first place.

And even then, if I'm that GM, Chiarelli matches, and then wants to trade Draisaitl to me because he can't find a better price on the trade market, chances are I'd tell him: "You shouldn't have matched the offer...now, my price is three 1sts instead of 4."

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
A package centered on Faulk or Pesce...your choice.

You'd be adding something you view as untouchable being Aho.

Even then I don't know if Edmonton bites. Not that the value isn't there but because we didn't just extend Russell for 4 mill per to be a 5/6/7 defenceman

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Because they couldnt afford giving him more at that time because of other contracts and he wanted to stay.
Oilers definitely can afford it now.

If a team dont offersheet him NHL should get rid of offersheets. This is the perfect player and situation to offersheet someone. Young #1C, the team with his rights will have the highest cap hit for a single player by a good margin in Mcdavid. I do think Edm will match though.
Honestly, I suspect offer sheets serve more as a negotiating tactic for agents than as a team building tool for GMs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

No, what I would do if someone offersheeted Draisaitl would be to match it then deal him for more immediate help than just picks.

I'm sure there are restrictions I just can't remember them. One year maybe? If that's the case that works perfectly for Edmonton.

I'm not going to worry about Drai until numbers come through. Cap crunch isn't til after next season anyway.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
From Ottawa I'd offer a package based around Mark Stone+ for Draisaitl.

Stone gives Edmonton an immediate RW to play with McDavid who is under team control for two more years (helping EDM manage the cap).

Sens get their much needed #1C of the present and future.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
No, what I would do if someone offersheeted Draisaitl would be to match it then deal him for more immediate help than just picks.

I'm sure there are restrictions I just can't remember them. One year maybe? If that's the case that works perfectly for Edmonton.

I'm not going to worry about Drai until numbers come through. Cap crunch isn't til after next season anyway.

But why wouldn't you do it with picks instead of Draisaitl ?
1st round picks are easy to trade. Players with a $10.0m per contract, aren't...no matter how good they are, the market is a lot more limited.

Theoretically (assuming the offersheet would be in the four 1sts bracket), the Oilers could package two of those 1st, along with a prospect of some kind, to get a really good player...leaving them with two extra picks on top.

Matching the offersheet, and then trading Draisaitl...you're looking at a market of what...maybe 4-5 teams that not only have that specific need, can also afford him, and have a GM who actually believe Draisaitl is worth that kind of money. That's not a big market to get the most out of a deal, compared to the market the Oils could have by dangling 1sts and futures, don't you think ?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I believe his value is at an all time high cuz gms will be fooled by his point total that's he's almost a ppg CENTRE. Add in a couple fluke playoff games agaisnt the ducks and boom GM's might be willing to give you back a parayko calibre dman back.

You don't even try to disguise your trolling anymore.

Look up the definition of 'fluke'.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Why wouldn't they just sign Drai this year and worry about moving cap next year when Mcdavid's contract actually kicks in? I'd imagine by next year both RNH and Pouliot won't be on the team so they should be fine.

I wondered this same thing

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
From Ottawa I'd offer a package based around Mark Stone+ for Draisaitl.

Stone gives Edmonton an immediate RW to play with McDavid who is under team control for two more years (helping EDM manage the cap).

Sens get their much needed #1C of the present and future.

Didn't Edmonton just trade away a winger who got 50 points last year?

Not even close.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
But why wouldn't you do it with picks instead of Draisaitl ?
1st round picks are easy to trade. Players with a $10.0m per contract, aren't...no matter how good they are, the market is a lot more limited.

Theoretically (assuming the offersheet would be in the four 1sts bracket), the Oilers could package two of those 1st, along with a prospect of some kind, to get a really good player...leaving them with two extra picks on top.

Matching the offersheet, and then trading Draisaitl...you're looking at a market of what...maybe 4-5 teams that not only have that specific need, can also afford him, and have a GM who actually believe Draisaitl is worth that kind of money. That's not a big market to get the most out of a deal, compared to the market the Oils could have by dangling 1sts and futures, don't you think ?

Because Draisaitl is a fixed asset. Hey other teams, you need a #1C? We got one. Line up and bid. Here's what we need, offer those things or pound sand.

Versus

Hey other teams, we got some picks that may or may not be worthless, low, in a weak draft class, whatever. Help a brother out?

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Canes offer Hanifin, Teravainen, 2018 1st and 2019 2nd.

Is that even close? Not sure I'd even be ok with that, just wanted to take a stab at it.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
They'd want a #1D man, or a future #1 D-man like Parakyo. Or an almost equally gifted forward like Barkov.

No way do they move him for a collection of pieces, he'd be the cornerstone forward for a rebuilding franchise that doesn't have the #1 or #2 pick in 2015 or 2016.

If he is willing to sign for less than 7 mil, they don't trade him at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad