Value of: Leon Draisaitl to your team

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I am amazed that there are still people out there who won't give Draisaitl his due after a 105 point season. Yowzah.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It was a joke. You gotta work on your sense of humour.

Kidding aside, I’ll do that trade. Tatar + Petry for Draisaitl + Russell. No take backs.

Honestly, you can never really know anymore with all of the idiocy in this thread.

And no. Montreal is one of the few teams that I think could put together a reasonable "quantity" offer for Draisaitl, but it would shatter your forward depth.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think you need to consider the following as well, @JoeThorntonsRooster

At 5 on 5 with Draisaitl, McDavid produced 47 points in 805 minutes, or .0584 points per minute, or a rate of 80 5 on 5 points over 1362 minutes.
At 5 on 5 without Draisaitl, McDavid produced 17 points in 557 minutes, .0305 points per minute, or a rate of 42 5 on 5 points over 1362 minutes

Would that not suggest to you that McDavid greatly benefits from playing with Draisaitl, as well? I mean, his production almost doubles.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Honestly, you can never really know anymore with all of the idiocy in this thread.

And no. Montreal is one of the few teams that I think could put together a reasonable "quantity" offer for Draisaitl, but it would shatter your forward depth.

That’s true but then again, you don’t really trade a young C who can put up 100+ points season. You just don’t. I wouldn’t trade hin for anything if he was playing in Montreal

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Are you just trying to start a fight, or is your hockey knowledge that terrible? It’s literally one or the other.

“I’d give Kris Russell straight up for Jeff Petry, take it or leave it.”
Lol whenever someone says "slightly used" you know it's meant to be a joke.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Main board Drai threads are the best.

Always another fan base asking for him (never Oilers wanting to trade him). Oiler fans say would need to be a good young dman at or close to top pair potential or no trade to be had we will just keep him. Makes sense dont really need a package of quantity for quality, plus the versatility of Drai playing center or either wing, plus his big frame can handle the grind of the west. Oiler fans like him and dont want to trade him without overpay.

The fanbase asking for him gets offended at the counter offer I guess? Maybe not the best word but eh. And the thread just turns into hyperbole, he sucks, 40 point player maybe without Mcdavid, not a real center, not a real winger, overpaid etc.

This one just happens to be unique because it encompasses the whole season and is 30 pages long

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Draisaitl + Puljujarvi for Horvat + Boeser

Gagner may have to be thrown in for cap space reasons

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Draisaitl signs for 8.5 million, ppl say he’s super overpaid. Puts up 105 points and is now well worth his deal and some ppl think he got lucky. Even if he drops to a ppg that’s still worth his contract. There are players that make far more and haven’t accomplished anything to show they are worth it and yet fans will defend those deals until they are blue in the face. Logic. There is none of it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Draisaitl signs for 8.5 million, ppl say he’s super overpaid. Puts up 105 points and is now well worth his deal and some ppl think he got lucky. Even if he drops to a ppg that’s still worth his contract. There are players that make far more and haven’t accomplished anything to show they are worth it and yet fans will defend those deals until they are blue in the face. Logic. There is none of it.

Well said.

Most everyone expects a dropoff from Draisaitl this year - his shooting percentage was through the roof - but he also played with a big pile of turds when not with McDavid, and while I wish Holland had done more to acquire legitimate top six players, the winger depth has improved overall.

Even if Draisaitl's production drops by 20% next season, that's still a hell of a player.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
And maybe Nathan MacKinnon will convert to goaltender over the offseason. It's about as likely as Draisaitl going from 105 to 40.
It was an extra joke bud. Just wanted to see if you would catch it. You have clearly been too scarred by the crazies that come in here and seem to have some weird obsession with thinking Drai isn't any good without Mcdavid.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think you’re missing something somewhere because it’s definitely 83.

Regardless, you’re really reaching here. Everyone plays their best players together in odd man situations as well as 4 on 4 and 3 on 3, of course he’s playing with McDavid there. Any idiot would make the same decision. Your argument was always about driving a line at 5 on 5 and now you have irrefutable proof that Draisaitl would still put up pretty tidy point totals playing with absolute zeroes. How many Sharks could say the same? You seem to act like Edmonton is unique in playing its best weapons together.

Okay, let's clarify this.

105 points at all strengths:

upload_2019-8-2_13-21-41.png

59 points at 5V5:

upload_2019-8-2_13-22-18.png

105-59 = 46 non 5V5 points

So, now we go on to 5V5 points...

upload_2019-8-2_13-24-6.png

45 in 805:37 with McDavid. Using the aggregate 5-on-5 numbers above, subtract 59 points from 45 and you have 14 points. Subtract 805:37 from 1377:57 and you get 573:20. That's 14 5V5 points without McDavid in 573:20. On a per-60 basis, calculate 14/(573:20/60), and you get 1.47 points/60.

Multiply that 1.47 points/60 by the total 5V5 ice time (1377:57/60) and you get 33.71 points. Round that up and you've got 34 5-on-5 points. Add that to the 46 non 5-on-5 points and you've got 80.

What do you think I'm missing here?

I think you need to consider the following as well, @JoeThorntonsRooster

At 5 on 5 with Draisaitl, McDavid produced 47 points in 805 minutes, or .0584 points per minute, or a rate of 80 5 on 5 points over 1362 minutes.
At 5 on 5 without Draisaitl, McDavid produced 17 points in 557 minutes, .0305 points per minute, or a rate of 42 5 on 5 points over 1362 minutes

Would that not suggest to you that McDavid greatly benefits from playing with Draisaitl, as well? I mean, his production almost doubles.

Yup. I've said that on many counts. Even before this season where the discrepancy between rates was larger than ever. No question he's an elite winger who makes his teammates much better and scores at a super elite rate in that role.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I see what's happened here I think @JoeThorntonsRooster.

You're using a total 5 on 5 icetime figure of 1377.57, whereas I'm calculating his 5 on 5 icetime as TOI With McDavid + TOI Away from McDavid using their WOWY stats, which is a total of 1305.62. I bet that's where the 3 point discrepancy is coming from.

Icetime graphic.png

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
In looking at the oiler situation, either McDavid or Leon Draisaitl will be moved to address the needs of the organization and obviously it will be Leon Draisaitl. Not IF but when they realize they are going to have move a big piece out to address their needs; what will they get?

It's bizarre that the premise for this entire thread is based on an opinion you have that you offer up as a fact.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Just pointing out the obvious. With all those great centers, who are clearly better than anything the Flames have, you'd think the Oilers would be playoff locks, no?

But hey, you did get a 30/30 guy in Neal!! I'm sure he is the missing piece. I mean, he's your "Toby" that will get you into the playoffs this year!

"Crying Johnny's".....That's good!! Original!! Imagine if you had a winger of his caliber....might actually make the playoffs?? I suppose Drai is somewhat comparable to Johnny, except you know Johnny plays with a center that isn't as good as the Big 3 Oilers are offering up. So can you imagine how good Johnny would be playing with a center of McDavid's caliber?? Pretty sure he could make up the 6 points he trailed Drai playing with McDavid!!!

Just stop. The obvious would be that a few superstars on their own cannot push a team into the playoffs in the NHL. Just like an average team with no superstars like the Flames are built for the regular season but fall flat on their face when johnny disappears in the playoffs and Mike Smith is the only reason they didn’t get swept brutally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad