Value of: Leon Draisaitl to your team

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
In looking at the oiler situation, either McDavid or Leon Draisaitl will be moved to address the needs of the organization and obviously it will be Leon Draisaitl. Not IF but when they realize they are going to have move a big piece out to address their needs; what will they get?

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Would it not be smarter to try trading a guy like Nuge, before your second best player who is only making a couple mil more, and actually earning those couple mil by being the only player on the team who actually keeps up, relatively speaking, with McDavid?

If you ever get decent wingers for McDavid, its not like Drai can't slot into the 2c spot again, where he is better than Nuge, younger, and signed longer to what nowadays is a fair, or even pretty good, contract for a 70pt center.

Maybe I'm crazy, or there is a specific reason you would give up a really good player like Drai before doing just about anything else.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Would it not be smarter to try trading a guy like Nuge, before your second best player who is only making a couple mil more, and actually earning those couple mil by being the only player on the team who actually keeps up, relatively speaking, with McDavid?

If you ever get decent wingers for McDavid, its not like Drai can't slot into the 2c spot again, where he is better than Nuge, younger, and signed longer to what nowadays is a fair, or even pretty good, contract for a 70pt center.

Maybe I'm crazy, or there is a specific reason you would give up a really good player like Drai before doing just about anything else.
Nuge isn't available either. Rn, he is a 70pt center, and Drai is a 90pt c/rw. We need to add to the only 3 good forwards we have, not to take away.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Nuge isn't available either. Rn, he is a 70pt center, and Drai is a 90pt c/rw. We need to add to the only 3 good forwards we have, not to take away.

I’m pretty sure I did not say he is/was/should be available, so not sure why you responded this way.

I merely was confused why someone would trade Drai before Nuge, in the pursuit of top 6 winger help, or cap space, picks, etc. when Drai is better, and earning his higher contract.

I agree EDM should not give up any of their only three top 6 players, in pursuit of top 6 depth, that would be silly.

Reactions: BillPrep and 780il

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
**** no

Everyone, keep your ****ty offers to yourself

Team sucks? Can't score? Not enough good players? Well then trade away your 2nd best player! That'll solve the ****ing problem.

Understandable.

However, you got to pay to get something good in return. Just out of curiosity, which assets would you part with to get good established players in return?

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
In looking at the oiler situation, either McDavid or Leon Draisaitl will be moved to address the needs of the organization and obviously it will be Leon Draisaitl. Not IF but when they realize they are going to have move a big piece out to address their needs; what will they get?
I'd be shocked if this happened

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
sounds like more of the same brilliant thinking that lead to Edmonton turning winger from a strength to a weakness while not actually fixing anything

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
I get the thought process from the OP but teams that trade away players like Drai will almost always lose the trade cause it’s quality for quantity. And trust me, the Oilers don’t need to lose another trade.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Why would you trade a core piece? And a great one at that. It’s unfortunate that they have limited cap space but you let those crappy contracts play out and keep moving forward. You hope that you can draft well and make good trades.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Honestly if I was the Oilers, and I am not saying either team does it (Leafs likely decline honestly) but I call up the Leafs and say McDavid wants to be there, pay up. I offer McDavid for Matthews + Marner.

Huge hit to the Leafs core and team identity, huge winning pedigree gone, they become a worse team but get a better player. They also save some cap money and just have to try and get another top line winger somehow.

Oilers, well they solve their problem of depth. Marner goes with Drai for a strong first line and Matthews gets RNH who is similar to Marner in a way and if RNH can get Matthews the puck, there is another line.

Suddenly they have a ton of depth scoring and two strong lines instead of one decent one. That alone makes them a playoff team in their division. Then all they need is to get a starting quality goalie.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Understandable.

However, you got to pay to get something good in return. Just out of curiosity, which assets would you part with to get good established players in return?
Picks and prospects. If we can't get anything good for that, draft and develop. It's just not worth it otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino