Leon Draisaitl should be sent back to juniors

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The guy is really doomed either way. Play for the worse team in the NHL or play for the worse team in the WJHC.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Stauffer said he wouldn't send Draisaitl back to PA if he were to go back to junior...insinuating they're a bad organization
I appreciated the tire fire comment, it's accurate enough, but omg. I can't even laugh about the thought that the Oilers could look down on any organized sports team that isn't in a prison league.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Here's the thing with Nelson in now, I really don't mind LD being given another shot before any sort of decision on his junior career is made.

With that being said if he were to go to WJHC I wouldn't really care. Lander has done enough to earn a 5-10 game look. Gordon is back as well, so it wouldn't really hurt us.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
Regarding World Juniors I don't think it would make a difference in his development either way. They should just ask his preference and go with it.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Regarding World Juniors I don't think it would make a difference in his development either way. They should just ask his preference and go with it.

I think I read in the Journal a few days ago that Draisaitl wanted to stay with the NHL.

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
I think I read in the Journal a few days ago that Draisaitl wanted to stay with the NHL.

I think most NHL players which have qualified for the tournament and have played in it before have had that preference in the past. Would not surprise me if this is the case.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Of course he wants to stay in the NHL, he's raking in an NHL paycheck. Also it's not like getting rocked 8-0 by the powerhouses of the tournament is going to help his confidence any. If I were him I'd want to stay here too.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Yes cause picking the center who is currently out with a shoulder injury he has had for a while would be great. Bennett hasn't played a game in any league this season because of it.

Bennett had a key ingredient that Oiler scouts tend to overlook. Skating. That kid has acceleration, top end speed, and is quick on his feet. Draisatl has size, and is slow.

Besides, it's not about this year either. It's who will be the better player in 3 or 4 seasons.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bennett had a key ingredient that Oiler scouts tend to overlook. Skating. That kid has acceleration, top end speed, and is quick on his feet. Draisatl has size, and is slow.

Besides, it's not about this year either. It's who will be the better player in 3 or 4 seasons.

An argument I made a lot in the summer. But so many here argued that the Oilers would be better off taking the more NHL ready player because he'd help the team.

Unfortunately as predicted in the summer by more than a few outside of Edmonton, Draisaitl isn't even close and hasn't been all year.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Draisalt scores below average 4th line center in a given playing time. He should not be in NHL Taking 3rd line minutes because he is not even a 4th line quality yet

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
My understanding is that if they sent him back to the WHL , they cant bring him back again and they are going to need him for the playoff run.

Kevin Lowe has a plan.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't get the idea of sending him to WJHC. I know it has been mentioned several times before but since it keeps on coming up it needs to be repreated: he's German.

2014 WJHC
GER - CAN: 2-7
SVK - GER: 9-2
GER - USA: 0-8
CZE - GER: 0-3

As the worst team in their group they went into the relegation round where they managed to beat Norway in the last game after losing one and winning one.

2015 WJCH
GER - CAN
USA - GER
SVK - GER
GER - FIN

Same opponents as last year except instead of CZE there is now the reigning WJHC champions Finland to play.

If you want Drai to have some success send him somewhere else (which I am not at all against). Or send him to the WJHC to play in the relegation round, which will be against Denmark.

EDIT: That said, Drai's comments after beating Norway last year: "It’s going to be probably the greatest experience you’ll ever have next year, playing in Toronto and Montreal. Those are huge cities. They’re crazy about hockey.". So there's that.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Anything would be better for him than staying in the NHL. It's painfully obvious he doesn't belong there. A player like Drai needs time. But what does the Oilers do? Rush him, of course. He should definitely had one more season in juniors and perhaps even a full season in the AHL. Big kids who are bad skaters need time. It's been proven over and over again. It's so sad we might be ruining the player he could become (Getzlaf, Thornton) by rushing him. But that's the Oilers way. It has been working wonders for us before, so why not now eh? I just wish this ****** organization could do the right thing for once.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
An argument I made a lot in the summer. But so many here argued that the Oilers would be better off taking the more NHL ready player because he'd help the team.

Unfortunately as predicted in the summer by more than a few outside of Edmonton, Draisaitl isn't even close and hasn't been all year.

If it is MacT who pushed for Draisatl then it really shows how 'in over his head' he is given what he has brought to the table this year. Everyone in the hockey world (save Oiler management) knows this kid should be back in juniors; but is the reason we keep him here only to save face for management who selected him in the first place because only because "he was more NHL ready"?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Both will be nhl afterthoughts. If only we got Ekblad.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Anything would be better for him than staying in the NHL. It's painfully obvious he doesn't belong there. A player like Drai needs time. But what does the Oilers do? Rush him, of course. He should definitely had one more season in juniors and perhaps even a full season in the AHL. Big kids who are bad skaters need time. It's been proven over and over again. It's so sad we might be ruining the player he could become (Getzlaf, Thornton) by rushing him. But that's the Oilers way. It has been working wonders for us before, so why not now eh? I just wish this ****** organization could do the right thing for once.

It probably would have been better if Draisaitl had been sent down for at least another year, but you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot with the "preventing him from becoming the player he could be" argument, as Joe Thornton did play in the NHL right after he was drafted, scoring a whopping 7 points in 55 games, yet still turned into the player you want Draisaitl to be like.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I don't get the idea of sending him to WJHC. I know it has been mentioned several times before but since it keeps on coming up it needs to be repreated: he's German.

2014 WJHC

As the worst team in their group they went into the relegation round where they managed to beat Norway in the last game after losing one and winning one.

So what you are saying is the WJC would be perfect preparation for playing on this Oiler squad:sarcasm: Not sure the Oilers could beat Norway though.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Not only should Draisaitl be sent back, whoever they pick in the 2015 pick (NHL ready or not) should be kept in junior as well. enough of this **** storm in Edmonton.

I agree with you. McDavid might be difficult to send down Eichel should be in college. Because of losing culture it is no point to bring to Edmonton more teenagers

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Silly question, could the Oilers provide the Broncos a bit of cash to "convince" them to move Draisaitl if they sent him back. Not for a specific team, though a quick glance at the rosters suggests that Tigers would be a good spot for him, but just to get him traded before he's sent back.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield

2014 WJHC

2015 WJCH
GER - CAN
USA - GER
SVK - GER
GER - FIN

Same opponents as last year except instead of CZE there is now the reigning WJHC champions Finland to play.

If you want Drai to have some success send him somewhere else (which I am not at all against). Or send him to the WJHC to play in the relegation round, which will be against Denmark.

EDIT: That said, Drai's comments after beating Norway last year: "It’s going to be probably the greatest experience you’ll ever have next year, playing in Toronto and Montreal. Those are huge cities. They’re crazy about hockey.". So there's that.

Finland and Slovakia do not have very good teams this year. LD could be difference maker at that level and Germany could a bit better than last year.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Silly question, could the Oilers provide the Broncos a bit of cash to "convince" them to move Draisaitl if they sent him back. Not for a specific team, though a quick glance at the rosters suggests that Tigers would be a good spot for him, but just to get him traded before he's sent back.

Anything is possible. It would be nice for him to move to the Oil Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad