Leon Draisaitl should be sent back to juniors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I bet after twenty games next season he ends up in the AHL.

Sorry Oiler fans, but the Oilers seem to be turning him into a bust.

Give me a ****ing break :shakehead

Ryan Johansen 2 years after his draft 67gp. 9-12-21
3 years after his draft 40gp. 5-7-12

I guess he's a bust too?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Ducks basically said that they were targetting him yesterday as a point of attack.

Time to send him back.

Teams targeting rookies? It's not a new thing, if he wasn't there and Gagner was they would've been targeting him. It's a learning process for him, I'd rather he be making these mistakes and learning from them than having a plug placeholder.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Teams targeting rookies? It's not a new thing, if he wasn't there and Gagner was they would've been targeting him. It's a learning process for him, I'd rather he be making these mistakes and learning from them than having a plug placeholder.

Gagner is probably where he's headed at this rate. There's zero reason to keep him here. Send him back.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I'd rather a plug placeholder who doesn't cost his team goals.

And have Draisatl learning at juniors and the AHL next year instead of "learning" at the NHL level when he's not ready.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
As many experts have said, the NHL is not a development league.

Yeah I agree. He's had his taste of the NHL. Send him down before too many bad habits form. Let him play at the World Junior for Germany. I was ok with him being here for 40 games, but you know 30 is close enough and with the way its going here right now he's more likely get himself hurt if anything else.

Call up Lander.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I've argued that I don't think he would develop his game faster/better in the WHL, but I would have no problem if he went to the WJHC. In fact, despite my stance I'd be fine with him going back to the WHL just to get away from the intense negativity that surrounds this team. The kid seems mature enough to deal with it, but man is this team depressing.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
We are going to once again go about bringing a player up the wrong way. This is absolutely the worst situation to develop a young center in. This team is the worst developmental team and it's because we consistantly throw guys to the fire in a team with no structure. MacT needs to be fired right now for keeping this guy up.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
Draisaitl is good, but every game I've gone to this year you can really tell he does not belong in the NHL. He literally is a kid playing in a mans game. Gets pushed off the puck very easily and is super slow. Positioning isn't bad though.

I know being the Oilers this probably won't happen, but Horvat was never known for being a fast skater and when he joined the Canucks, along with their strength & skating coaches, drastically improved his acceleration and speed.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
I'd rather a plug placeholder who doesn't cost his team goals.

And have Draisatl learning at juniors and the AHL next year instead of "learning" at the NHL level when he's not ready.

This.

Unfortunately MacT is the smartest man in the room.

3d_empty_room_01_hd_picture_167786.jpg

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Who cares?

Just get Leon the hell out of here.

At least Brodziak (or Chipchura) is not going to get his development ruined by being on the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Ha ha LT actually said today "the best thing for Leon Draisaitl would have been to have been drafted by the Flames."

Ha ha ha yessss.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I find it hilarious that Eakins decides to call him out for his poor play, a rookie, and yet Hall, Schultz, Nikitin all get a free pass for playing like ****.

That's some serious accountability there...

feff

Feb 17, 2003
Tokyo
Visit site
I'm not sure you would see a difference in him next year but hopefully 2,3,4 or 5 years down the road he turns into the best player he can be. He might still struggle next season and there's nothing wrong with struggling but it's what's going to happen when the player struggles that matters. Are they able to take those struggles and build on them or do they get overwhelmed? Hopefully he's more mature and able to handle it and hopefully the organization has their **** together and dont leave him in a situation where he's going to be called upon to be the 2nd line center when injuries happen. I know you think he's already mature and the Oilers think he's already mature. Like I said I dont trust their judgement and they've had much more opportunity to see him up close than you have.

I think handing him a spot on the team because they didnt bother to come up with any other options isnt pushing him to succeed. They really should treat his junior career as nothing special and give him 9 games to succeed at the NHL level. When he didnt blow their doors off they should have sent him down and told him he'd have to prove he deserves to be up here. When he proves it then he gets another shot and yes it will have to be next season. Hopefully next year he comes back with something to prove rather than just expecting he has a spot no matter how he performs unlike this season.

This is the problem. Young players who haven't proved anything are gifted NHL positions, LD included. That's the culture that's been developed and the results speak for themselves. The NHL is a game of details and it's hard to learn those when you're dumped into the deep end. More telling is that the teams around them (Buf and Cal) look to be playing a bit more of a long game with their players where with Edmonton it's basically Mac-T anointing him as the 2C a week after the draft.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
Wasting a year of his ELC is a problem for me. We need players like Draisaitl to make an impact while making little money. No wonder we're a cap team. We waste years like this paying a guy NHL money to develop...we could do it for free if we kept him in jr.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Draisaitl is on pace to just 18 points this year.

Last year MacKinnon and Monahan had more goals than that. Nichushkin and Seth Jones had more assists than that. Lindholm and Barkov had more points than that.

And the real kicker, Ekblad already has 18 points.

How can anyone possibly believe that he belongs here?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
At this point I'd send him to the WJC's, see how he does there, bring him back and see if he's ready fro the remaining grind of the year, if not send him down. That dressing room cannot be a good place for a rookie right now.

birchy

Jun 30, 2014
It was probably already answered in the thread.. but I'm too lazy to go reading back through.

Now that we burned his ELC anyways, can Drai be sent to the AHL, or does he still need to go back to Junior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad