Contract Termination: Leo Komarov

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Both player and organization have to agree to the termination. Basically Leo decided the 1.655m he was still owed wasn't worth playing in the minors for. Probably thinks he can still get an NHL role elsewhere for around 1M or somthing
I think his salary is 2 million, no?

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
LOL thanks for the laugh. Isles fans are actually praising Lou for getting rid of a mistake that he caused in the first place? Yikes.

See, you can look at it the other way. Leafs made a mistake signing Marleau to a bad contract and their great GM couldn't find a solution. So they gave up a 1st round pick! That pick ended up being Seth Jarvis. Carolina's best prospect. So how Lou's been doing compared to the leafs, not bad right?

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Good player and a leader.
Was brought to Islanders to show kids how to be a pro. Also his influence in team spirit, locker room is huge.

Sadly his style clearly ate him alive at NHL level in last 2 seasons.
Was one of the best grinders, PK players and hitters in his prime, and that agitation, It was fun to watch.

Farewell uncle Leo and try to stay healthy!!!

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
See, you can look at it the other way. Leafs made a mistake signing Marleau to a bad contract and their great GM couldn't find a solution. So they gave up a 1st round pick! That pick ended up being Seth Jarvis. Carolina's best prospect. So how Lou's been doing compared to the leafs, not bad right?

Funny example to use, considering Lou signed Marleau to that bad contract.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Jarvis was the pick? Is this true?

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005

You missed the point though. He also signed Komarov but didn't have to give up a high pick to get rid of him. I'm not a big fan of him, but he's doing a great job for the Islanders

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
As if he's not the one that gave him that horrible contract lol
If you look at solely his point production, he was overpaid. If you consider only his on-ice contributions, you still might have a valid argument.

If you look at his overall value to a team restructuring and creating a new identity, he's been worth every penny. The fact that the team has turned itself around, and been very successful quicker than anyone would have expected, is probably why the last year of his contract seems too much.

A smart signing by Lou.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

And would have disposed of him at no cost, as he did with Komarov. Unfortunately, Lou was let go, and replaced by someone who couldn't.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Lou gives terrible contact

Isles play an AHLer for the past few seasons because of said contract.

Waive him because he is not an NHLer

Player doesn't want to play in AHL so signs back in KHL

Lou is a wizard

What???????

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Let's not pretend Lou never makes mistakes managing the cap. He was the one to dump Devon Toews last year to free up space.

Which has been pointed out ad nauseam by posters with a need to advance their false narratives. Said posters often ignore the market at the time of trade and the return. Additionally ignored is the impact of the pandemic had on the league BACKTRACKING on its own cap projection for the first and only time ever.

But for arguments sake let’s just agree… Komarov was a bad signing that directly led to the loss of Toews. I personally disagree with the sequence of events but still…

That would still be the only possible legitimate criticism that anyone can stick on Lou as an Islander GM. And somehow that gets as much weight against him as the following is ignored:

Signing Sorokin and Varlamov over Lehner

Signing Nelson, Pulock, Pelech long term

Signing Barzal and Pulock to bridge deals

Retaining the fourth line at a lower cost

Trading for Pageau, signing Pageau

Trading for Palmieri, signing Palmieri

Drafting Wahlstrom and Dobson

Advancing further in the playoffs then any GM since 1993

Creating cap space while maintaining a competitive team

Twice elected GM of the year by his colleagues

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Let's not pretend Lou never makes mistakes managing the cap. He was the one to dump Devon Toews last year to free up space.
I wasn't pretending he didn't, but I'm not sure that losing a player because of inherited bad contracts is his mistake. And if he traded the player he least wanted, isn't that ok?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad