Confirmed with Link: Legwand to Wings for Eaves, Jarnkrok and a cond. 3rd (2nd if we make the playoffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
One thing very clear about yesterday is that they believe Riley Sheahan is a Top 6 center. I hope they are right, I also expect an aggressive push towards centers in the next couple drafts.

Another part of this is their moves today and Babcock's comments regarding what youth he wants protected leaves me to believe his extension is a mere formality at this point, which I guess should excite some of you.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Another part of this is their moves today and Babcock's comments regarding what youth he wants protected leaves me to believe his extension is a mere formality at this point, which I guess should excite some of you.

It's been a successful coup for Babcock. Holland is the only other authority left in the front office and as you could see on HBO, Holland's main focus is interpreting the coaches view.

2008 was a hybrid team, we've endured an era of confused direction since then. These days it seems like we have a one man ship, for better or worse.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It's been a successful coup for Babcock. Holland is the only other authority left in the front office and as you could see on HBO, Holland's main focus is interpreting the coaches view.

2008 was a hybrid team, we've endured an era of confused direction since then. These days it seems like we have a one man ship, for better or worse.
I dunno about that. I think it's more that they're both on the same page now out of necessity. Holland doesn't feel he has the means to do much else with the roster, and so Babcock is finally accepting it now that he's happy with the young players he's got. I don't think Babcock has more control than before, though.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Hmm Why do I keep reading it's either Weiss or Legwand for next season?, why can't they keep both? (you just have got to believe Weiss should be able to figure out things)

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Atleast we didn't move Sproul, Ouellet, Almquist, Mantha, Pulks. I guess there's some positives. But as one poster said, I think we can surely bet that they are highly scouting centermen for the next year or two.

Jul 30, 2005
Now we know it was only a "spin off" that Jarnkrok was to leave for Sweden.
http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/jag-vet-inte-varifran-uppgifterna-kommer/

That link confirms he was chocked by the trade but think its great to join
Forsberg , Ekholm and other fellow players from his Juniors.

He dont know what the ruomors come from but he is to stay i NHL and will be happy to have a chance in Nashville.
I think this stuff is half true. For instance, it sounds like both Jarnkrok and his agent were pushing Detroit pretty hard to do SOMETHING with him. Holland has said as much.

It's almost a lawyer thing now. Oh, Jarnkrok never said he was going home to Sweden... except he was telling practically everybody in earshot back at Christmas. Oh, Jarnkrok never asked for a trade! The only thing that happened was he and his agent bugged Detroit about calling him up until the organization got tired of it.

So maybe he didn't do the exact things in question, but he did stuff very close to it. Like I said, it's a lawyer's definition. In my eyes, there's not much difference between asking for a trade and bugging your team to call you up when you know there's no room. I think what Jarnkrok really means is that he didn't want Detroit to trade him, he just wanted them to put him in the NHL ASAP. Since they wouldn't do that, Nashville is fine.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
It still makes the trade look worse.

The justification from apologists was "he was bolting to Sweden." Well that part seems unequivocally false now. He might have been upset about his prospects but it certainly seems as though he had no intention of just leaving. So whatever, see how he finishes out the year and maybe he has a good camp next year. Look at Jurco. Struggled his first year, did well in the playoffs, continued it, now making an impact on the Wings. Who's to say the guy that Fischer and Hakan were both raving about can't do the same?

We are the losers of this trade. We are even bigger losers if you compare it to the other deals that got done today. Even bigger losers if we make the playoffs and give up a second rounder. Because I think it's far too optimistic and unreasonable to expect to go far with all the injury and defensive struggles this team has had. I just don't see it as realistic that Z makes it back in time at 100%. Nor will Datsyuk be 100% when he's back. It seems like this whole year they've been doing the "He's good enough and we need him to make the playoffs" dance. They're going to do the same thing and rush him back before he's at 100%.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
I think this stuff is half true. For instance, it sounds like both Jarnkrok and his agent were pushing Detroit pretty hard to do SOMETHING with him. Holland has said as much.

It's almost a lawyer thing now. Oh, Jarnkrok never said he was going home to Sweden... except he was telling practically everybody in earshot back at Christmas. Oh, Jarnkrok never asked for a trade! The only thing that happened was he and his agent bugged Detroit about calling him up until the organization got tired of it.

So maybe he didn't do the exact things in question, but he did stuff very close to it. Like I said, it's a lawyer's definition. In my eyes, there's not much difference between asking for a trade and bugging your team to call you up when you know there's no room. I think what Jarnkrok really means is that he didn't want Detroit to trade him, he just wanted them to put him in the NHL ASAP. Since they wouldn't do that, Nashville is fine.

There has been lots of room down the middle and now more than ever. He only had a short stint of producing well in AHL but it could easily be that he needed time to learn how to play on the smaller ice and adjust his vision. The kid is really talented you know...

He said he got one more year on his contract and doesn't know anything about any rumor about going to Sweden. He sure seems to have lots of friends in the Nashville organisation so im sure he will land on his feet.

I think DRW will do fine without him and they would have done fine with him. Holland simply went in another direction. Kudos to the Red Wing scouts who managed to find so much talent (without top draft picks) and also to GR who helped making them into what they are. Im sure Poile will be very happy with DRWs development work.

Jul 30, 2005
There has been lots of room down the middle and now more than ever. He only had a short stint of producing well in AHL but it could easily be that he needed time to learn how to play on the smaller ice and adjust his vision. The kid is really talented you know...
I've seen him play, and I really like his game. He's still a very good prospect in my mind. But "lots of room" at the center ice position is not something you could have said about Detroit even before this trade.

Datsyuk
Weiss
Sheahan
Helm

Jarnkrok to the press box at best?

Jul 30, 2005
It still makes the trade look worse.

The justification from apologists was "he was bolting to Sweden." Well that part seems unequivocally false now. He might have been upset about his prospects but it certainly seems as though he had no intention of just leaving. So whatever, see how he finishes out the year and maybe he has a good camp next year. Look at Jurco. Struggled his first year, did well in the playoffs, continued it, now making an impact on the Wings. Who's to say the guy that Fischer and Hakan were both raving about can't do the same?

We are the losers of this trade. We are even bigger losers if you compare it to the other deals that got done today. Even bigger losers if we make the playoffs and give up a second rounder. Because I think it's far too optimistic and unreasonable to expect to go far with all the injury and defensive struggles this team has had. I just don't see it as realistic that Z makes it back in time at 100%. Nor will Datsyuk be 100% when he's back. It seems like this whole year they've been doing the "He's good enough and we need him to make the playoffs" dance. They're going to do the same thing and rush him back before he's at 100%.
I think you're dismissing all of the evidence when only part of it was proven false. The same stuff that proves the one bit false confirms the other stuff as true. Jarnkrok was indeed pressuring the Wings to do something with him. It's pretty safe to say that's true.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Hmm Why do I keep reading it's either Weiss or Legwand for next season?, why can't they keep both? (you just have got to believe Weiss should be able to figure out things)

They can and likely will. The cap is going up, we lose nearly 7 million in Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, and Cleary, we don't have many significant raises, and they have some options on the blueline. They're in fairly good shape.

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Legwand, Weiss, Helm, Sheahan, and Andersson are all centers. Some will move to wing, some could be used to bring in a top 4 defenceman, and one could be a 13th forward.

We could have something like:

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Alfie
Nyquist-Legwand-Franzen
Sheahan-Weiss-Tatar
Abdelkader-Helm-Miller
Andersson
Ferraro

If we bring Alfie back for another year. This scenario is a good looking squad and it allows Jurco to get big minutes and development in GR.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Now we know it was only a "spin off" that Jarnkrok was to leave for Sweden.
http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/jag-vet-inte-varifran-uppgifterna-kommer/

That link confirms he was chocked by the trade but think its great to join
Forsberg , Ekholm and other fellow players from his Juniors.

He dont know what the ruomors come from but he is to stay i NHL and will be happy to have a chance in Nashville.
Actually, we do not know anything. But we can take for granted that Järnkrok would have had a hard time making the Red Wings lineup next summer. With Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Weiss, Helm, Andersson and Ferraro likely to be qualified, I fail to imagine that management would not have preferred him to play top line minutes in the AHL.

You do not need to believe in any rumors to assume that Järnkrok hopes for a fast way to top tier playing time and payment. So further banking on his patience, while even a NHL roster spot in 2015 could not be guaranteed by the Red Wings, would have been questionable anyway.

Gruß,
BSHH

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
If it makes sense cap-wise, I don't see why they couldn't. Just play one of them (Weiss) on wing if the 4 C spots are taken.

And I believe Legwand is most likely re-signed. Anything else would be nuts.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Man, even the Wings assistant GM said that it was 'news' to him that Jarnkrok wanted to go back to Sweden or anything of that nature. Can we just admit that Holland made a bad deal? He's done it in the past, I don't understand why people keep trying to find ways to justify what he's done. He's not that good of a GM; he makes mistakes. Example: the Quincey trade last year, signing Cleary, signing Samuelsson

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Man, even the Wings assistant GM said that it was 'news' to him that Jarnkrok wanted to go back to Sweden or anything of that nature. Can we just admit that Holland made a bad deal? He's done it in the past, I don't understand why people keep trying to find ways to justify what he's done. He's not that good of a GM; he makes mistakes. Example: the Quincey trade last year, signing Cleary, signing Samuelsson

The assistant GM doesn't take calls from his agent, he also is in charge of GR where this has a much different spin. Just saying, I still don't like the trade involving Jarnkrok, but these other factors exist, especially for those of us that have followed this closely and became concerned around Christmas when this first started leaking out.

I think what Sheahan is doing has a big factor in this as well.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I really doesn't matter anything what Ryan Martin says. He can still tell nice things that the bad "truth" doesn't open for opposite teams. Göbbels also said nice things at Nazi-Germany. :)

I think there's was a probability that Järnkrok would leave to Sweden. Same probability is with every prospect. Maybe the proability was higher than normal in his case, if he is at Grand Rapids.

But, maybe the probability lowered now when he has a new chance in different organization. Then it's an ideal trade for both sides.

Nothing isn't black or white. Things and player's opinions can change.

Maybe Järnkrok was not happy at Detroit's system. Maybe he understood that there's no center spots open in near future. Then it was reasonable to do this move, because our current center contracts (even without Legwand) would have blocked him out from TOP6 in all cases before the 2015-16 season.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

I admit that this deal made us a better team while having our top prospects still intact.

There's plenty of time to draft another young center.

Calle was roster-blocked no matter how you spin it... for at least three years.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Is there a premium to every trade the Wings try to make?

-I don't think spending a 1st for Quincey was out of line with market prices at the time, but I know others thought it was high.
-We reportedly had Sheahan and Jurco in a deal for JayBo that was spurned for an offer that looks like less from St. Louis.
-It apparently took one of our top10 prospects to bring in Legwand when guys like Vanek and Moulson were moved for less.

I know the quick reaction is to just slam Holland for giving too much, but it looks like teams either consistently ask for a bit more from us or value our assets far differently from how we value them. While it looks bad giving up Jarnkrok in this deal, I'm getting more and more curious about what deals other teams have turned down from us. Is there a premium for dealing with the Wings?

Kopecky didn't, that's for sure.
Kuznetsov, I don't really know?

Kuznetsov was seen as a guy who had tools but a questionable tool box. if he put it together, he could have been a 20 minute D with a very nice first pass out of the zone. Was never seen in a similar way to Fischer or Kronwall, guys who were expected to be top4 at least. Not sure who I'd compare him to now.

We could have something like:

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Alfie
Nyquist-Legwand-Franzen
Sheahan-Weiss-Tatar
Abdelkader-Helm-Miller
Andersson
Ferraro

If we bring Alfie back for another year. This scenario is a good looking squad and it allows Jurco to get big minutes and development in GR.

I like the idea of running those four out as our centers every night. Part of me wonders if Z and D are both going to be pushed to wing to try to preserve their health, though. Also, wouldn't be against finding room for Jurco in the top9. If Alfredsson doesn't come back, wouldn't be the worst thing to just slide Jurco in somewhere.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Legwand comes from a system very similar to Detroit's so you would expect him to make an impact immediately. I'm pretty excited, actually. He seems like a hard working guy with good character.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Legwand comes from a system very similar to Detroit's so you would expect him to make an impact immediately. I'm pretty excited, actually. He seems like a hard working guy with good character.

Agreed, he'll be fine in Detroit, Babcock will love him. The deal will look worse if he doesn't re-sign, even worse than that, he signs in Nashville.

Is there a premium to every trade the Wings try to make?

-I don't think spending a 1st for Quincey was out of line with market prices at the time, but I know others thought it was high.
-We reportedly had Sheahan and Jurco in a deal for JayBo that was spurned for an offer that looks like less from St. Louis.
-It apparently took one of our top10 prospects to bring in Legwand when guys like Vanek and Moulson were moved for less.

I know the quick reaction is to just slam Holland for giving too much, but it looks like teams either consistently ask for a bit more from us or value our assets far differently from how we value them. While it looks bad giving up Jarnkrok in this deal, I'm getting more and more curious about what deals other teams have turned down from us. Is there a premium for dealing with the Wings?

I've been thinking/saying that for years. How Calgary took that offer over Detroit's is beyond me.

Kuznetsov was seen as a guy who had tools but a questionable tool box. if he put it together, he could have been a 20 minute D with a very nice first pass out of the zone. Was never seen in a similar way to Fischer or Kronwall, guys who were expected to be top4 at least. Not sure who I'd compare him to now.

I don't ever remember Kuz being thought of like that, they were hoping for a huge dman who was physical. I could be wrong, but passing wasn't his intended use.

I like the idea of running those four out as our centers every night. Part of me wonders if Z and D are both going to be pushed to wing to try to preserve their health, though. Also, wouldn't be against finding room for Jurco in the top9. If Alfredsson doesn't come back, wouldn't be the worst thing to just slide Jurco in somewhere.

I think they will, which kinda causes a problem with the team being overloaded with wingers.

I also hope the Wings look at dealing Andersson to re-coup the pick traded for Legwand. Someone should be able to offer a 2nd at least.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
The assistant GM doesn't take calls from his agent, he also is in charge of GR where this has a much different spin. Just saying, I still don't like the trade involving Jarnkrok, but these other factors exist, especially for those of us that have followed this closely and became concerned around Christmas when this first started leaking out.

I think what Sheahan is doing has a big factor in this as well.

Another factor IMO is Janmark and AA. If they intend to develop them both as centers, maybe in Detroit's eyes it made Jarnkrok expendable.

Still think, as an asset, Jarnkrok could have been used better.

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
I'd be hesitant to declare this trade positive or negative just yet. I'd even argue - if it's even an argument- that as of right now, it's a positive.

The Red Wings got a very solid 2-way center who has a few years left in him. And I fully expect him to re-sign in the off-season. Giving up Eaves is a non-issue; just an unnecessary contract at this point. The pick given up is likely to yield a prospect similar to those the system is abundant with. As regards Järnkrok, we'll just have to wait and see, but right now the team is better off.

I'm hesitant to join the "Wings gave up a future elite C for a plug" crowd. Considering that HF has a very prospect-oriented crowd, the value of prospects is often distorted. I've seen numerous prospects being treated as if they will hit their highest conceivable ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad