Post-Game Talk: Leafs win!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
The one PP the Leafs got wasn't even gonna be called.

While watching the game live, I looked right at the ref (top right of screen on TV) that was near the goal line. He had no intention of raising him arm on the trip. Once he saw the stick caught in the skates, he pretty much had no choice and raised his arm. Usually, they're pretty quick at raising the arm (or blowing it dead depending on possession) but that was a long delay before the arm came up.

Game 1 in boston 6PPs for boston/ 3 PPs for Leafs

Game 2 in boston 4 PPs for boston/ 4 PPs for Leafs

Game 5 in boston - 6PPs for boston/ 1 PP for Leafs

Total PPs when playing on boston - 16 PPs for boston/ 8 for Leafs

By contrast in both games in Toronto we have a combined 2 PPs for Leafs/ 1 PP for boston

Hoping Lou/Shanny are lobbying the NHL about the officiating. It's inconsistent from game to game. And also inconsistent within games from shift to shift. As others have pointed out, if you're gonna call something, call it on both teams.

I'm so happy the Leafs won last night. They came out strong to start, battled adversity (6 PPs to 1, really?) and came out on top. Now they have to go home and do it again to force a game 7.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I bet the Bruins called the NHL office and complained about the Hyman hit on McAvoy on the non call Icing in game 4. They were complaining vehemently all game.

Also, for anyone watching the NBC broadcast, Pierre McGuire has been an absolute dick in this series. He goes out of his way to diss the Leafs. I’m sure the producers are telling him to promote the Bruins but he’s been sickeningly biased. The next time he’s on Leafs lunch I’d love for them to call him out.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
While watching the game live, I looked right at the ref (top right of screen on TV) that was near the goal line. He had no intention of raising him arm on the trip. Once he saw the stick caught in the skates, he pretty much had no choice and raised his arm. Usually, they're pretty quick at raising the arm (or blowing it dead depending on possession) but that was a long delay before the arm came up.
Yeah. I was looking at the same. I don't think I've ever seen a referee look that hesitant to make a call. I don't think he would have if the stick hadn't been caught in his skate.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
The one PP the Leafs got wasn't even gonna be called.

Game 1 in boston 6PPs for boston/ 3 PPs for Leafs

Game 2 in boston 4 PPs for boston/ 4 PPs for Leafs

Game 5 in boston - 6PPs for boston/ 1 PP for Leafs

Total PPs when playing on boston - 16 PPs for boston/ 8 for Leafs

By contrast in both games in Toronto we have a combined 2 PPs for Leafs/ 1 PP for boston

Hoping Lou/Shanny are lobbying the NHL about the officiating. It's inconsistent from game to game. And also inconsistent within games from shift to shift. As others have pointed out, if you're gonna call something, call it on both teams.

I'm so happy the Leafs won last night. They came out strong to start, battled adversity (6 PPs to 1, really?) and came out on top. Now they have to go home and do it again to force a game 7.

Yup. I was watching with a Bruins fan and a Habs fan among others(family - what are you going to do?) and we all agreed the ref was not going to call that until the Bruin could not get his stick out. Bruins fan was laughing at the penalty calls.

Reactions: GrizzLeaf

ChiTownLeafer

From Toronto to Chicago
Dec 26, 2011
Chicago, IL
That was one of the most incompetently reffed game in a LONG time. I would saw for game 1 and 2, leafs got outplayed for most part that I can see the discrepancy. Game 3 and 4 were i think as fair as it gets. Game 5 was a disaster. I really hope NHL takes care of these issues. I mean, you have to wonder how can they have refs dropping the ball when 2 out of the original six teams are playing and with such a huge fan following.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Yeah. I was looking at the same. I don't think I've ever seen a referee look that hesitant to make a call. I don't think he would have if the stick hadn't been caught in his skate.

You know what, that particular call, where the Bruins player inadvertently gets his stick caught in a Leafs player's skate, I don't mind him being reluctant to call that. It wasn't on purpose, it was just bad circumstance, and you can't even call it careless really - it's just plain bad luck for that player.

What DOES rile me up, is blatant muggings getting no call; a player trying to separate his guy and the Bruins player - who was the instigator - and somehow, we get the extra penalty; and total manhandling and obstruction (which never gets called anymore) by the Bruins never getting called.

That's what ticks me off.

Because by doing that, the refs are giving an enormous boost to the Bruins, who need to slow us down and obstruct. They are giving an enormous boost to the Bruins by giving them extra power plays, and the Leafs less power plays.

And they are messing with the integrity of the game.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I had trouble with the Polak call. He didn’t slash the stick he was trying to position his stick to prevent a shot. It was pretty good D imo.
Agreed. The sticks made contact by the blades and he was pulling it back not slashing down on it.
Also pretty weak to put us down 5on 3 taking one our main pkers

Reactions: Trawna Phan

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
I bet the Bruins called the NHL office and complained about the Hyman hit on McAvoy on the non call Icing in game 4. They were complaining vehemently all game.

Also, for anyone watching the NBC broadcast, Pierre McGuire has been an absolute dick in this series. He goes out of his way to diss the Leafs. I’m sure the producers are telling him to promote the Bruins but he’s been sickeningly biased. The next time he’s on Leafs lunch I’d love for them to call him out.

Yeah, I don't get why NBC is so biased in this series. Sure, they don't broadcast in Canada and might think that a huge majority of their viewers are Boston fans in this game, but what about people rooting against Boston? That is always me, regardless of who's playing them. I bet there are nearly as many in the US TV audience rooting against the Boston as there are Bruins fans. So stop discussing every important point in the game as "what the Bruins need to do here", NBC.

They have not really talked about Matthews other than to say "he's having a good game tonight". Jesus, if he was on Boston, they would be cheerleading him all game long and there would be several features about him, as the best American player under 21.

Instead after the 2nd period, one of the 2 bullet points they showed in intermission was "What the Bruins need to do to come back". Grrrrrrrrr :madfire:

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Ya seriously, they did everything they could to not call that tripping penalty against Boston.

You could tell he wasn’t going to call it initially and then he saw the stick stuck in his skate and was like, uhhhh, I have to call this one or it’ll be even more obvious than it already is...

That is exactly what happened. Shameful.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
The Dermott penalty was a bad call and Polak’s was soft I thought. The Gardiner penalty should have been the third man in I would have thought but they called it roughing, which was confusing. The disappointing part was that Chara was aloud the punch Gardiner twice, in plain view with no call, on the same play and the second punch was really late. The Bruins had just as many infractions as the leafs since it was being call that tight. Perhaps winning the game that the refs and bad bounce goals were going against the leafs, well propell them to the series victory.
Go Leafs Go

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, I don't get why NBC is so biased in this series. Sure, they don't broadcast in Canada and might think that a huge majority of their viewers are Boston fans in this game, but what about people rooting against Boston? That is always me, regardless of who's playing them. I bet there are nearly as many in the US TV audience rooting against the Boston as there are Bruins fans. So stop discussing every important point in the game as "what the Bruins need to do here", NBC.

They have not really talked about Matthews other than to say "he's having a good game tonight". Jesus, if he was on Boston, they would be cheerleading him all game long and there would be several features about him, as the best American player under 21.

Instead after the 2nd period, one of the 2 bullet points they showed in intermission was "What the Bruins need to do to come back". Grrrrrrrrr :madfire:

I don’t watch basketball, do the US broadcasters do that to the Raptors? I know they don’t with the Jays

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Woke up and had to remind myself we won the game, because I was still pissed off! Lol.

That's exactly how I felt this morning. The refs took the joy out of that game for me. I was actually simmering with anger even when we were scoring goals 3 and 4 because I could see exactly how the game was shaping up officiating-wise. I'm happy they pulled out the win but I was full-on preparing myself for a disgraceful hatchet job by the refs (which happened but didn't work out for them).

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018
Yeah, that's a good spot. He likely broke the stick on the shot then.

If Bozak gets his hands there, that's a penalty anyways though.

Edit: Just saw a better video. Bozak hit the stick where it broke, so it was a legit call.

and this breaks his stick? his stick broke again too and we got a penalty on that too..

this POS, needs to stop using a bootleg sticks. Properly weakens it intentionally to get these calls

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
and this breaks his stick? his stick broke again too and we got a penalty on that too..

this POS, needs to stop using a bootleg sticks. Properly weakens it intentionally to get these calls
Well yes, the slash that hits the exact spot the stick broke was probably the thing that broke it.

And that theory is not very likely. No player would want a stick that is likely to blow up on you in a stick battle or when shooting.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Having thought about it, I think there were only 3 penalties I didn't understand

First: Gardiner's roughing... Chara was just as involved if not moreso.
Second: Andreas Johnsson's hooking... I mean, Pastrnak just fell to his knees the second he felt contact. League should send Pasta a diving fine there
Third: Travis Dermott holding... Boston gets away with that **** all the time, and until then, refs had let that stuff go all series.

Rest were our fault, and still 4 penalties too many.

And the slashing call on Nash's already broken stick?

Edit: Yeah. after seeing the gif someone posted earlier, I take it back, that was a good call.

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What is Babcock's solution to refs rigging the game? They have been on us all series and the only reason they called one penalty against Boston is because the stick was lodged in Mathew's skate. This is bad for the game and already caused one riot in Vancouver. The NHL already has a rep for being rigged.

Agree but it was Johnsson’s skate

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018
Well yes, the slash that hits the exact spot the stick broke was probably the thing that broke it.

And that theory is not very likely. No player would want a stick that is likely to blow up on you in a stick battle or when shooting.

genius idea though? desperate for a penalty? smack it once or twice hard so it's almost broken so as soon the opposition touches you, it's a penalty.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
You know what, that particular call, where the Bruins player inadvertently gets his stick caught in a Leafs player's skate, I don't mind him being reluctant to call that. It wasn't on purpose, it was just bad circumstance, and you can't even call it careless really - it's just plain bad luck for that player.

What DOES rile me up, is blatant muggings getting no call; a player trying to separate his guy and the Bruins player - who was the instigator - and somehow, we get the extra penalty; and total manhandling and obstruction (which never gets called anymore) by the Bruins never getting called.

That's what ticks me off.

Because by doing that, the refs are giving an enormous boost to the Bruins, who need to slow us down and obstruct. They are giving an enormous boost to the Bruins by giving them extra power plays, and the Leafs less power plays.

And they are messing with the integrity of the game.

But that's not how it works. On purpose or not, if a player is tripped and you caused it for whatever reason, it's a penalty. You are responsible for your stick.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I was wondering, but I was so distressed I couldn’t even think.

It was a tough one to remember because the Leafs players stalled sooo long. By the time they dropped the puck, most of us weren't even thinking about how it was an icing and the "tired" Leafs were gonna get worked.

Funny as heck how they stalled that long lol. Bout time they got away with something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad