Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
While Italian guy us off, there is a point to be made here. Reilly is very good but not great. He plays far too many minutes. We are seeing what positional hockey can do for a team, something Reilly is very bad at. He can skate, pass, carry the puck and even block some shots BUT he also does not recover well.
He may be the Leafs best dman, but not by the large margin many think he is. IMHO.
I have nothing but respect for Rielly. He has always been a consummate pro who win or lose has addressed the media. He rarely takes a night off and has skills that many dmen don’t possess. He’s not as bad defensively as a few believe. He took less money and signed long term because he wants to win a cup here. I believe he should have been made captain.

Having said that, I don’t believe he is a No. 1 defenceman. He gambles too much on his pinches and is not the greatest positionally on 2 on 1’s. He doesn’t have the greatest shot and is therefore not ideal for a PP. He rarely scores a goal like Sandin did last night, just shooting at the net and getting the puck through or causing rebounds like on the Nylander goal. Admittedly, he hasn’t had the greatest start to the season.

To be having this discussion when the Leafs are playing so well and bring Rielly’s name as if he was the cause we weren’t getting these kinds of results is disingenuous. I wouldn’t trade Rielly unless the return was amazing. I consider him a part of our core 5. Let’s enjoy how well this team is playing without slagging one of our truly good guys.

banks

W W 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I am a pro lurker, never even log in.

But to tell you how ridiculous your post is, I did.

Get a grip, Rielly outplays his contract.

Everyone, give this post some love. This dude (/dudette) has only 37 posts over more than a decade, and decided to log in at like 1:00 AM to defend a good player.

Post more, @Zacman. You rock.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I have nothing but respect for Rielly. He has always been a consummate pro who win or lose has addressed the media. He rarely takes a night off and has skills that many dmen don’t possess. He’s not as bad defensively as a few believe. He took less money and signed long term because he wants to win a cup here. I believe he should have been made captain.

Having said that, I don’t believe he is a No. 1 defenceman. He gambles too much on his pinches and is not the greatest positionally on 2 on 1’s. He doesn’t have the greatest shot and is therefore not ideal for a PP. He rarely scores a goal like Sandin did last night, just shooting at the net and getting the puck through or causing rebounds like on the Nylander goal. Admittedly, he hasn’t had the greatest start to the season.

To be having this discussion when the Leafs are playing so well and bring Rielly’s name as if he was the cause we weren’t getting these kinds of results is disingenuous. I wouldn’t trade Rielly unless the return was amazing. I consider him a part of our core 5. Let’s enjoy how well this team is playing without slagging one of our truly good guys.
Reilly doesn't have a great shot but he does get more shots through than people think. He changes angles on his shots enough to get the puck to the goalie and creates rebounds.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The way Justin Holl is playing lately should really be making people reconsider the habit this fanbase has going back generations of eating our defensemen alive. It is like it ingrained in the DNA we have to be irrationally shitting on one defensemen at all times.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Dubas the habitual test passer
Exam is in April boys, it accounts for 99% of the final grade

FvHb.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Primary Assist

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The way Justin Holl is playing lately should really be making people reconsider the habit this fanbase has going back generations of eating our defensemen alive. It is like it ingrained in the DNA we have to be irrationally shitting on one defensemen at all times.

Yea, the crapping on Holl has been almost comical since he became a full time Leaf.

Despite being a 2nd rounder, he looked like a bust before the Leafs turned him into one of the best value RHD in the league. He's been more inconsistent over the past year (he's turning 31 soon) but people keep forgetting he was one half of the best shutdown pairing in the league for a while and the nightmare matchup D for McDavid during the covid year. Since 2019, he's got excellent underlying stats in super tough minutes and is a combined +43 with limited ozone starts at only a 2 million cap hit. He's also great in the room by all accounts. I think he's been a great story when you add it all up but the vultures are out there lurking hoping for a mistake in those tough minutes so they can pounce again.

You are right though that even if Holl got traded/wasn't on the team, the Simmons types would just move on to the next tough-minute D to crap on. Seems to be the pattern.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Another win for the good guys, team looked to be running out of fumes towards the end of the 2nd and 3rd, but got the job done.

Amount of shots given up doesn't tell the tale of how the game was, Detroit got a lot of useless shots and with Murray playing like how he is, those aren't even a worry.

Team is playing really well defensively.
The thing about a team playing well defensively is that the goalie is not only part of the team, but a key part.

Who was it that said, "give me a good goalie and you will have good defense" or something along those lines.

The defense was very much the same last year and Campbell did not do well

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Good teams find ways to win when they don't have their best games, and good goalies step up when the team in front of them doesn't have it. Both of which happened last night.

By no means would I classify that win as a bad game per say, but it was far from a clinic. We gave up 44 shots and were beaten in every analytical component of the game except the actual GF. But that being said, I thought we actually played an alright game given all the circumstances. It was our 3rd game in 4 nights, and 5th game in the last 8 days. Detroit is a young and upcoming team that wanted to prove something last night. We stayed within our structure for the most part and we got some very timely saves from Murr to secure the W. Very hard earned 2 pts.

Special teams were great, and like I said above, Murr was once again outstanding.

Lastly, lets give some love to this D-corps. They've all been battling in roles that are above their abilities for over a week now. We've won 4 straight games against 4 quality teams, on the road and have conceded only 7 goals in that timeframe. We've had Hollowel step into his first NHL games and look relatively good, Mete fill in, Sandy and Lilly step up the lineup and look every bit the part, and Gio + Holl eat huge minutes. Not exactly the cast you want on paper, but they've stepped up huge.

I want to especially show some love for Holl of fame. He gets shit on a ton in here. Some times justifiably. But lets give the big dog some love here. He's averaged over 23:30 TOI in the last 6 games and is a +1, logging big minutes on the PK, eating 8 BLK shots, and throwing 8 hits. Nothing fancy, but he's stepping up like the vet he is, and eating minutes and rubber so that the rest of the boys don't need to. Obviously the entire D has stepped up, but I just figured I'd mention Holl's contributions seeing as though he seemingly only gets mentioned when he costs us a game

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He's simplified things and been better, no doubt.
It doesn't mean he wasn't terrible in the past.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
It's funny how expectations change the way we view situations.

Marner has been playong great two way hockey and is getting the praise he deserves.

Matthews who has seemingly struggled somehow is only 2 points behind Marner while leading all forwards in hits, blocks, and chances generated.

He also has the same amount of takeaways as Marner while turning the puck over less.

Most would agree Matthews can and should even be better and it will be curious to see how it plays out after 82 games and more importantly when the playoffs start

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Exam is in April boys, it accounts for 99% of the final grade

View attachment 614426

They are 100% playing great and have silenced their critics but you are 100% correct. It is not like we did not have a great November last year.

Must say things look much better this year though as long as both Murray and Sammy do not go on IR simultaneously. What is really good is that the team seems to have bought into playing the way you need to, to win in the playoffs. They are keeping the opposition to the outside and giving their goalies a good chance to see the puck and goalies are not giving up many bad goals. Top two lines are also producing making them difficult to shutdown.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Just Holl has a couple flaws, that are easy to pick at.

His adventures in the O-Zone, his indecisions with the puck, his often inability to clear the puck.

Every game all defensemen make mistakes. Some make the same mistakes over and over, and you'd have to state when that happens it is a weakness. Sandin's wheels will always be his shortcoming. And you'll probably see a couple occasions each game where that is exposed. That is a physical limitation, and probably always will be like Tavares' skating it'll be worked on, but never is going to go away.

The other night, Holl makes a good play in the O-Zone, and then just glides back from beside the opposition net into a defensive position. Was it by choice, or is it just processing the play? Holding the puck too long in the D-Zone is something you'll see every game. I'd say that isn't going to change now at age 30. Clearing the puck is another thing you'll see him fail to do every game. He appears to have good size, but seems to lack strength.

But he's only bloody-well paid $2mm.
Holl is a very good ROI.
I'll give him the gears, usually a couple times a game, he's no different than every other player on the Leafs, has strengths and weaknesses.
If he thought the game quicker, I think he'd double his salary.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Lets get back on track folks Rielly did not even play .. 3 shout outs to Mitch, Matty and Murray da 3 M's .. wow wow wow ,.. complete domination of game by those 3 M's .. 3 best guys on ice by a country mile .. omg Mitch has been outstanding virtually every game this season .. Willy seems to be tailing off a bit .. Matty is coming on really strong .. but above all Murray makes da key saves when da game is on da line and da guys are now confident in him nightly .. to me now rest of season is all about staying close to Bruins so that near end of season we can control who we play in 1st round .. AVOIDING Tampa/Vasi at all costs this year must be da objective .. anyone else is fine .. Keefer when you red this take it to heart .. you know what I mean

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He has been prone to the big gaffe which tends to stand out, but his overall time with the Leafs has been a lot more good then bad. He has at the very least provided value on his contract.
For sure more good than bad, just more bad in relation to the rest of the team.
I see him as a bottom pair player which IMO, makes him a little overpaid.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It's funny how expectations change the way we view situations.

Marner has been playong great two way hockey and is getting the praise he deserves.

Matthews who has seemingly struggled somehow is only 2 points behind Marner while leading all forwards in hits, blocks, and chances generated.

He also has the same amount of takeaways as Marner while turning the puck over less.

Most would agree Matthews can and should even be better and it will be curious to see how it plays out after 82 games and more importantly when the playoffs start

Yup. Kinda a fun fact as well for anyone who isn’t aware, or hadnt realized it as well, but Matthews right now actually has 1 goal more than he did at the same time last season. He then rattled off 50 goals in his next 50 games played. In addition to everything he’s doing defensively and his physicality he’s added to his game, his assists at this point are up 66% over last year. (15 right now vs 9 at the same point last year)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
For sure more good than bad, just more bad in relation to the rest of the team.
I see him as a bottom pair player which IMO, makes him a little overpaid.

I think it's time we re-evaulate that.

Second in team in hits
Averaging 21 minutes a game on the season
Highest percentage of D zone starts for a D
Tied for most blocks
Tied for most PK minutes per game on team, with good on ice results.
Good on ice GA/60 results

He's had some periods of poor play, but he's been excellent on this stretch, and well above his pay grade, or a bottom pairing.

Consistency is the key now moving forward.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Murray continues to be rock solid. I really hope he can stay healthy, especially going into the playoffs.

The patchwork defense core has stepped up nicely.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Don't look now, but the Leafs are 3 points behind Boston despite their start, and the Big 4 are all in the top 25 iin points. No other team has that many players that high; Jersey has three.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Don't look now, but the Leafs are 3 points behind Boston despite their start, and the Big 4 are all in the top 25 iin points. No other team has that many players that high; Jersey has three.

I mean, Boston's played 21 games, to our 24 games... so there is that. But we have done tremendously well as of late.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Murray continues to be rock solid. I really hope he can stay healthy, especially going into the playoffs.

The patchwork defense core has stepped up nicely.
I'm still amazed at how big he looks in the net yet still looks so mobile.

Another thing that has impressed me is his timely/clutch saves. Something we haven't gotten a lot in the past 7 years.

I'm trying not to get ahead of myself with the goaltending, but it really looks like we've brought two upgrades in comparison to last year.

Now hopefully they can be hot and healthy when it counts.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm still amazed at how big he looks in the net yet still looks so mobile.

Another thing that has impressed me is his timely/clutch saves. Something we haven't gotten a lot in the past 7 years.

I'm trying not to get ahead of myself with the goaltending, but it really looks like we've brought two upgrades in comparison to last year.

Now hopefully they can be hot and healthy when it counts.
Agreed.

Murray's style reminds me a lot of Ed Belfour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad