Mitch looks back to elite
Nylander continues his play
Kallgren was actually statistically great

Leafs outshot them 41-25

Stats wise this seemed like a great game, and a very good B2B
Leafs are now 4-0-1 in rhe second games of back to backs. Odd

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Nobody is claiming the goaltending is confirmed good. Just stating a fact that everyone that was freaking out has mysteriously disappeared.
It’s no mystery. The goalies are playing well right now. It would be disingenuous if we picked on them when they are doing well

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
It’s no mystery. The goalies are playing well right now. It would be disingenuous if we picked on them when they are doing well
Agreed. It may also show how defensively week some dmen that are out right now, like Reilly. Strange how positional the D look right now.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Agreed. It may also show how defensively week some dmen that are out right now, like Reilly. Strange how positional the D look right now.
Or it's that Keefe has simplified the game plan to help with the inexperienced blueline and has all the forwards dropping back to play D first.

The only thing I am curious about is whether or not they will continue playing this style when Reilly and Brodie return?

I think it is a yes as we saw it in the Dallas/Bos/Car games.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
it's also disingenuous to not give credit where credit is due.

This is not directed at you at all. More so directed at a Moderator that trashed the team all summer and has seemingly disappeared when things have started to go well.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Is Rielly the guy we turn on now? It's hard to keep up.
There is no need to turn on Rielly, we just need to accept that he is not a true #1 D-man. His skating and speed are top notch, however he has no shot from the point and has trouble defending in his own zone.

He just needs to be paired with a real #1 D-man and he becomes a solid #2.

JMHO.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The Matthews goal, besides being a huge insurance goal, was a thing of beauty. Bunting lugging the puck through holds and checks by Malkin, drawing three Pens. Then despite falling down (trip), being able to slide the puck into the high slot where Matthews drew out giving himself a better angle. The goalie coming way out probably thought he had it covered but then Matthews happened. Glad to see him back in form.

Reactions: Optimist and Al14

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Anyone that actually believes this team is better off playing Hollowell/Mete over Rielly really needs to come to grips with reality.
Yeah I mean it’s only been 3 games lol. Morgan has some serious issues (gap control namely) but we can play a defensive first style with him. Just shelter him and take advantage of his ability to create 5v5 offense

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
The difference it makes when your D concentrates on the back end first, instead of always trying to support the offense. Much fewer odd-man rushes given, and the offense is still solid enough to produce. Are they finally figuring out that defense wins championship?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
There is no need to turn on Rielly, we just need to accept that he is not a true #1 D-man. His skating and speed are top notch, however he has no shot from the point and has trouble defending in his own zone.

He just needs to be paired with a real #1 D-man and he becomes a solid #2.

JMHO.

Maybe he is a #1.

I don't think they have to trade him, and I think they should be better with him, but they should play more responsibly all the time.

My opinion is he is very good offensively and adequate defensively.

If he is a #1, he is a #1 who leaves me wanting more in the defensive zone.
He did actually have 20 goals in 2018-2019, and had 3 goals in 7 games in last year's playoffs.

Or maybe the Leafs goaltenders are covering up their deficiencies more right now.
Maybe Leafs goaltending is what we've seen recently, and not the goaltending we witnessed with Murray and Samsonov injured, and everything else is just the same?

If the goaltenders are now covering up their issues, imagine adding a #1 defender along with a #2 defender to this team?

Reactions: Aashir Mallik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad