Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Nice tight win boys. Solid defensive effort all around with little to no braincramps, our goalie didn't have to steal anything because we didn't give them much. Nice 3 point night for Matty. Mitch being prime Mitch.

Crazy when you see Boston is a ridiculous 18-3 and yet we're only 5 points back, with half our D out and our 4th stringer has played almost half of our games.

The season is long with a long way to go but I'm loving the new defensive feel of this team.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
It's more Rielly or 7.5 mil to spend.
Spend 7.5 trying to replace Reilly?,

He has bben heart and soul for this team and has shown up every playoffs.

Obviously if the right trade became available you have to jump on it but our PP has been abysmal with him injured and in the last 7 years he has scored the 5th amount of points from the backend in the NHL.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Because the Leafs issue was always the forwards playing defense, now that they have a rookie d back there with 3 regulars out, they are forced to support them.
You might be right on this. The forwards aren’t as comfortable so they’re playing safer and better defensively.

Reactions: Buds17

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Spend 7.5 trying to replace Reilly?,

He has bben heart and soul for this team and has shown up every playoffs.

Obviously if the right trade became available you have to jump on it but our PP has been abysmal with him injured and in the last 7 years he has scored the 5th amount of points from the backend in the NHL.

Didn't our PP set a record for failure with him on it to the point that he had to be replaced on PP1 with a rookie in the playoffs?

For the record I like the person and he does step it up in the playoffs usually but he brings a very limited skillset for a price point that guarantees we can't afford a real #1 unless we draft a Makar on an ELC.

I'm mostly worried about that contract with his history of ankle/ACL injuries, if his skating becomes even just average there's really nothing else in his game he can fall back on.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Didn't our PP set a record for failure with him on it to the point that he had to be replaced on PP1 with a rookie in the playoffs?

For the record I like the person and he does step it up in the playoffs usually but he brings a very limited skillset for a price point that guarantees we can't afford a real #1 unless we draft a Makar on an ELC.

I'm mostly worried about that contract with his history of ankle/ACL injuries, if his skating becomes even just average there's really nothing else in his game he can fall back on.

I’m remember him being our Norris #1 D man supposedly, and him getting walked and beat by Boston pretty handily. I get it Bostons a good team, but we’re handling boards and puck battles like never before and can actually clear the zone handily now.

It use to be like a Boston power play in our zone until it was chipped out.

There’s a reason why our whole D has been revamped and also he’s the last remnant of the old thinking Dubas of small and skilled.

Reilly is definitely a good player. Not sure he’s the D guy we need to take us to the playoff high tiers.

As many have said. No slapper, no hard shot, isn’t extra physical tough, isn’t large in size . Isn’t getting younger. He’s basically a forward playing that position.
Offense minded first which is a hindrance to this Leafs team as proven by the last 5 years.

Let’s see what our new lines can do.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

True. His skating seperates him. If he loses that they are in trouble.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
it’s great to see both Sandin and Liljegren stepping up and proving (albeit in this small sample currently) that they are ready to be trusted with increased roles on this team.

This team has a very good defense if you have Rielly and Brodie both healthy, Giordano continuing to play at a top 4 level and the emergence of two more top 4 young D. Add to that depth of Holl, Benn, Mete, and Timmins, and still having the cap space to add to the group at the deadline. Muzzin as a playoff wildcard too

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
it’s great to see both Sandin and Liljegren stepping up and proving (albeit in this small sample currently) that they are ready to be trusted with increased roles on this team.

This team has a very good defense if you have Rielly and Brodie both healthy, Giordano continuing to play at a top 4 level and the emergence of two more top 4 young D. Add to that depth of Holl, Benn, Mete, and Timmins, and still having the cap space to add to the group at the deadline. Muzzin as a playoff wildcard too

NHL
Liljegren - 23
Sandin - 22

Mete - 24

Prospects/Maybes
Timmins - 24
Hollowell - 24
Kral - 23
Niemela - 20
Villeneuve - 20

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Our stars are finally scoring and playing well consistently and we're winning games. Who would've thought, yet a lot of people in here think Rielly is the problem. Might as well trade Rielly, Brodie and Muzzin since our defence is set now and officially elite.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Reilly has been amazingly durable since his rookie year 2013.

Knee – November 21, 2022 (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Rielly expected to miss 4 weeks with a knee injury.

Fractured Foot – January, 13, 2020 (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Rielly missed 23 games with a fractured foot. This is the most NHL games he has missed due to injury.

Upper Body – January 20, 2018 (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Rielly missed 6 games due to an upper body injury.

Knee – January 19, 2017 (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Rielly missed 6 games with a knee injury.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Reilly has been amazingly durable since his rookie year 2013.

Knee – November 21, 2022 (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Rielly expected to miss 4 weeks with a knee injury.

Fractured Foot – January, 13, 2020 (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Rielly missed 23 games with a fractured foot. This is the most NHL games he has missed due to injury.

Upper Body – January 20, 2018 (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Rielly missed 6 games due to an upper body injury.

Knee – January 19, 2017 (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Rielly missed 6 games with a knee injury.

I'm not worried about when he's injured, we can use his money if he's on LTIR. I'm worried about repeated knee injuries taking away his only real asset. I don't remember which leg injury it was, I think the 2020 one, but he looked absolutely terrible for the rest of the season after he came back.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Should stay for the rest of the season atleast. First of all Borje deserves it, second...the patch is f***ing awesome.
Agreed. I actually emailed MLSE the day of Borje’s passing suggesting very close to that design for something on the helmets (my idea had 21 instead of Borje but same colour ideas and everything . Glad with what they did.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Lol at fans thinking we are better without rielly, it’s been 3 games…I guess Brodie is crap too then, 4-0-2 without him. Should deal him too

We lose in the playoffs because we can’t score, Rielly helps do just that
Reilly's mentor was Dion the Pylon Phaneuf. He picked up a lot of bad habits from him but not his shot. Reilly no doubt is a fine person, great skater, offensive, BUT...he is a low IQ, soft & terrible defenceman with NO shot....To me, he is not worth the cap hit and I would easily trade him for a DEFENCE first quality 4 D or the F help we need. We will never win a thing with him as our #1/2 D man. Time will tell....now, this is just my opinion & how they are doing without him is a small sample size but..... lets see.....

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Reilly's mentor was Dion the Pylon Phaneuf. He picked up a lot of bad habits from him but not his shot. Reilly no doubt is a fine person, great skater, offensive, BUT...he is a low IQ, soft & terrible defenceman with NO shot....To me, he is not worth the cap hit and I would easily trade him for a DEFENCE first quality 4 D or the F help we need. We will never win a thing with him as our #1/2 D man. Time will tell....now, this is just my opinion & how they are doing without him is a small sample size but..... lets see.....

My avatar is made for takes like these

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Over the last 5 years, Rielly sits 21st in the NHL for goals scored. He must have some type of a shot.
Over the last 5 years, Roman Josi leads all defensemen for goals scored. I guess he has a cannon.

Morgan has scored 0.132867 goals/game over this time span. (38 goals/286games)
Roman has scored 0.22742 goals/game over this time span. (66 goals/299)

Sitting half way between them at 11th, Brent Burns with a 0.15384 goals/game (48/312)

It's not that there aren't better shots in the show, but that the margins are very slim and that it's hard for dmen to score in today's game.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
WOW one of best games I have seen Leafs play this year .. hard to tell exactly watching on TV .. but our 2 way game was next to perfect .. even da fluke Pens goal was that a fluke play .. but then I love watching 2way grinding hockey .. probably most of you guys love da flash and dash game ... but 2way grinding hockey is what wins in playoffs .. no mistakes off da glass and out .. or eat a puck and catch a whistle .. love it .. A+ to all our D core in that game

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
To quote Indiana Jones "now you're getting nasty".

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
To quote Indiana Jones "now you're getting nasty".
I presume he's before your time or your a fan of his complacency. Regardless, he was slowwwwww during his tenure here. Now his time in Calgary is a totally different ballgame. So, no need to take the truth personally...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad