Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-1 - Marner extends the streak to 18

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Why didn’t the travelling journalists ask to speak to Dubas after their win against Detroit to go 4/4 on the road trip? Do they only care to speak to him when things are in the shitter?
Bro, it is Detroit, lol.

For real, I think they did asked the question but nothing to attract buzz on Twitter.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Why didn’t the travelling journalists ask to speak to Dubas after their win against Detroit to go 4/4 on the road trip? Do they only care to speak to him when things are in the shitter?
Most of the interviews are pretty useless TBH.
Just as an example, the pregame talk included the prerequisite comment of how good the other team is. Does anybody really believe SJ is good?
Friggin sound bites are a waste of time unless you are interviewing Torts and then it's pure shit show entertainment .

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Missed the game last night. Some Sharks fan on the mains posted that Karlsson was amazing defensively. Was that the case? I have difficulty believing this.
Karlsson was never matched against the first 2 lines yet Giordano had a better xga number.

edit...change never to rarely

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
pretty sloppy game at times TBH. We gave up a lot of high quality transition chances. Not to be the guy to shit on Holl, but he gave up 2 high danger looks himself on a single shift at one point. Robertson as well.

That being said, sometimes you just get the right puck luck and timely saves, which we did. I'm really happy Mitch was able to extend the streak. He deserves it. He does everything right, and he gets shit on a ton by the league, media and even our fanbase. Nice to see him get an ovation for a change.

Sammy was a rock once again. Nice to see. I think yesterday was probably our worst display of defense that we've seen since all of the injuries occurred. SO it was really nice to have a capable goalie bail us out on the times we stumbled. Hopefully we can tighten it up a bit better come Saturday.

all n all, hard to argue with the results. They don't ask how, they ask how many.

Go Leafs Go!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sammy was a rock once again. Nice to see. I think yesterday was probably our worst display of defense that we've seen since all of the injuries occurred. SO it was really nice to have a capable goalie bail us out on the times we stumbled. Hopefully we can tighten it up a bit better come Saturday.

all n all, hard to argue with the results. They don't ask how, they ask how many.

Go Leafs Go!
It is a beautiful feeling, isn't it. I mean we've had it from time to time since we acquired Andersen but it feels like we might be getting to a point where you can almost expect it to happen most nights.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Getting some ugly wins due to goaltending and timely scoring? Refreshing.

Sloppy game overall.

Samsonov looks amazing.

I'd like to move Jarnkork to the top 2 lines. He seems like a player that plays best complimenting and leeching off more talented players.

Defense is pretty decent considering everyone is injured. Giordano has been a horse.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Getting some ugly wins due to goaltending and timely scoring? Refreshing.

Sloppy game overall.

Samsonov looks amazing.

I'd like to move Jarnkork to the top 2 lines. He seems like a player that plays best complimenting and leeching off more talented players.

Defense is pretty decent considering everyone is injured. Giordano has been a horse.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
He's still picking up points on the PP, but not as much at ES.

I think it was Nov 12 they switched Nylander and Marner. Look at the ES numbers since:

Matthews 4G 6A +12
Nylander 5G 3A +10
Bunting 2G 6A +10
Marner 5G 2A +6
Tavares 2G 4A +3

JT has assisted on only 2 of Mitch's goals and Mitch assisted on only 1of his.

I know they moved Willy up to try to get Matthews scoring, and it has worked, but I really think they need to put him back with JT.

I notice that over those 10 games Sandin is +8 and Liljegren is +7.
Wow.

Matthews/Nylander dominating

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Screenshot_20221201-182319_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20221201-150010_Twitter.jpg

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Reclamation? He had a decent year last season did he not, he just wasnt seen as a starter, and I'm not sure he is, yet! He has been solid and given the Leafs some excellent starts, he still makes the odd mental error, but if he can eliminate those errors than maybe he can eventually be the guy.

The question right now is whether or not extending him should be soon or after the season.
Caps had high hopes for Samy, their first round pick and potential starter. Ovi and Co. might have had some negative influence, discipline issues etc. They didn’t want to sign him, so he is a reclamation project at this point of his career.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Honestly, I’ve never seen him smile so much and give the impression he’s happy. Gave a lot of love to his teammates too. I’m hoping this will quell the “he’s gone to the US” at the end of his contract talk.
The only thing that will quell that will be if he signs an extension

Well, I do hope Matthews re-signs as a UFA at a bit more than MacKinnon, and not for $15 to $16 million AAV a year.
Matthews will grind every nickel out of Dubas that he can

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
He was pretty bad last year. Not too often teams give up on a 25 year old 1st rd pick for nothing. Hopefully he can turn it around, these are the easy games, we will see how he handles the real pressure.

Caps had high hopes for Samy, their first round pick and potential starter. Ovi and Co. might have had some negative influence, discipline issues etc. They didn’t want to sign him, so he is a reclamation project at this point of his career.
Granted, you guys are correct and so "reclamation project" is an apt description. Can't tell you why I thought his numbers were better, only that they aren't pretty.

Maybe he's not as sympathetic to Ovies world view as he needed to be in order to find the support he needed in order to succeed.

We all know goaltenders can be plenty, should we say, flaky? And it's quite possible that rubbing Ovie the wrong way could very well had echoes that could be heard back in mother Russia.

Watching that interview I coudnt help thinking what a pretty good and funny guy he is, and who would take any pleasure in giving him grief. He had good numbers to start out, it's weird it unraveled so quickly?

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
It is a beautiful feeling, isn't it. I mean we've had it from time to time since we acquired Andersen but it feels like we might be getting to a point where you can almost expect it to happen most nights.
Wayne Gretzky was talking earlier this year about Grant Fuhr and how his S% and GAA didn't do him justice, and how he always knew that when Grant needed to make that timely save, he would.

I think that has been the biggest thing I've noticed this season vs. the previous say 3-4 seasons. So far at least.

There have been times where we just needed that game altering save, and more times than not Murr and Sammy have provided that. Case in point with this game. I feel like this game could have gotten away from us had SJ scored that first goal. We looked pretty sharp to start the game and then Holl had arguably one of the worst shifts I've seen all season. Basically, single handedly provided 2 b-ways in one shift. Again, this is not meant to shit on Holl, he's stepped up well recently, but imagine if one of those go in?? Holl would instantly play with less confidence knowing he f***ed the team, and then we'd be chasing the game as a team.

One thing I am really starting to realize is not all saves are treated equally. Sounds pretty obvious, but it's not something that really can be quantified in any standard or advanced statistic. You can see how Murr has won 2 cups. He has a very calming presence in the blue paint. Like I said, I really don't think we've had a goalie provide that stability since year 1 of Freddy. Oddly, we also seem to see that same calmness from Sammy as well. Which is a bit shocking given he's not won shit. I think it's probably just in his personality. He always seems super loose in his interviews.

saw this tweet today:

Gotta give Dubas some credit with these pickups. It was the biggest point of criticism in the off season, and up until this point it's been an absolute no doubter grand slam

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
re: robertson
its hard to play well when you are constantly in and out of the lineup as a young player, everything you do you feel has to be perfect or you might be in the press box. with jarnkroks injury now he might actually not have to worry as much and should play better..at least imo.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wayne Gretzky was talking earlier this year about Grant Fuhr and how his S% and GAA didn't do him justice, and how he always knew that when Grant needed to make that timely save, he would.

I think that has been the biggest thing I've noticed this season vs. the previous say 3-4 seasons. So far at least.

There have been times where we just needed that game altering save, and more times than not Murr and Sammy have provided that. Case in point with this game. I feel like this game could have gotten away from us had SJ scored that first goal. We looked pretty sharp to start the game and then Holl had arguably one of the worst shifts I've seen all season. Basically, single handedly provided 2 b-ways in one shift. Again, this is not meant to shit on Holl, he's stepped up well recently, but imagine if one of those go in?? Holl would instantly play with less confidence knowing he f***ed the team, and then we'd be chasing the game as a team.

One thing I am really starting to realize is not all saves are treated equally. Sounds pretty obvious, but it's not something that really can be quantified in any standard or advanced statistic. You can see how Murr has won 2 cups. He has a very calming presence in the blue paint. Like I said, I really don't think we've had a goalie provide that stability since year 1 of Freddy. Oddly, we also seem to see that same calmness from Sammy as well. Which is a bit shocking given he's not won shit. I think it's probably just in his personality. He always seems super loose in his interviews.

saw this tweet today:

Gotta give Dubas some credit with these pickups. It was the biggest point of criticism in the off season, and up until this point it's been an absolute no doubter grand slam

If he's a genius this year, what does that say about the year before?

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York

saw this tweet today:

Fine line between genius and madman.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
re: robertson
its hard to play well when you are constantly in and out of the lineup as a young player, everything you do you feel has to be perfect or you might be in the press box. with jarnkroks injury now he might actually not have to worry as much and should play better..at least imo.
Yeah I mean you have to give him time to make mistakes and learn, that's what the regular season is for imo

Barring catastrophic injuries, we're in the playoffs. So use this to see what we have in guys like Robby. If he can provide secondary scoring that's a huge +

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
If he's a genius this year, what does that say about the year before?
Fair enough. All I can really say to that is the pathway to the ultimate prize is not always linear. In fact, it rarely is.

It's a never-ending cycle of predicting, doing, and verifying. Sometimes predictions on players don't verify well in the long run. We've seen this outcome several times with respect to Dubas acquisitions. Ritchie, Mrazek, NAK to name a few.

the one thing we have to remember is that we have to work within a strict salary cap and on what players become available and when they become available to us. Case in point being TJ Brodie. That was a player we wanted to acquire 1 year prior to actually getting him. The means to make that happen just did not materialize until the year following.

Not every decision will pan out, and some take longer to materialize then others. My assumption is that given our tight cap structure, and Jack's ability to step up when called upon, lead us to the inevitable decision to have him go into the 2021-22 season as our 1A. The reason we likely did not extend Jack in the summer of 2021 and in turn signed Mrazek to share the blue paint was just more of an indication of what management likely felt about Jack being our long-term option in the crease. That said, I don't feel like they were close minded to the idea of him taking the net over, but they weren't 100% confident in that outcome, and insulated him with Mrazek as a result. Same could be said this season with respect to both Murr and Sammy. I really don't think Kyle could honestly say he had full confidence that either 1 of Murr or Sammy was going to emerge as a true #1, but there were key indicators available to suggest that one, or both could do just that. Given that both Murr and Sammy did not require a long-term commitment and Jack did, the decision to move on was pretty obvious.

For the record, I do consider Jack to be a quality goalie, and I think he also presented that same probability to become our answer as both Murr and Sammy pre-season. But when dissecting the AAV's its very clear what the responsible/wise decision was this offseason.

Removing all results from this season from our memories, which would heavily skew this logic into Dubas' favor

Murray @ 4.87AAV x 2 years + Samsonov 1.8AAV x 1 year (RFA)
Total AVV: 6.67AAV

is far better asset management over

Campbell @ 5AAV x 5 years

All 3 goalies presented relatively the same risk/reward IMO, but only 1 of the goalies required a long-term commitment. Not to mention it would have inhibited our ability to properly insulate Jack with a capable 1B if we signed him to that deal.

I won't be the guy to defend every decision and outcome from Dubas' tenure. He's had plenty of successes and failures. But there usually a logic behind every decision he makes, and it usually is not short sighted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad