Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-1 - Marner extends the streak to 18

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Congrats Mitch. Most hated in the beginning of the season and the end. Please end that trend this year.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009

Ottawa’s top six consists of:

Stutzle - an ultra skilled but soft, fancy diving Euro, he should be in Qatar and he probably can’t even spell defense.

Giroux - 35 next month, has very little time left. He’s still sound defensively but no longer a near-Selke level guy, and he’s still great offensively but he’s not getting you 80 points.

Debrincat - Six goals, no longer benefiting from Kaneflation. Teenage boy sized and doesn’t play defense. Man-sized Matthews’ numbers are a little down - he’ll still stroll to 40 goals and 90 points with elite D.

Norris - He’s more of a Willy level guy, and that’s not last year or this year’s Willy. He’s pretty good.

Batherson - Need to see a lot more. He’s probably better than Robertson but will it stay that way.

I’d love Brady Tkachuk, he’s still not half the player Mitch and Matthews are.

And anyways I thought the best top six was Vancouver - you know, that team that’s currently sixth in the weakest division in the league?

As is tradition, a January-March run will bring them right up into 11th in the West, where they’ll pick 13th in the draft.

Tampa
Toronto
Colorado

Everybody else.

Last edited:

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
People told Dubas to find a number one goalie.
Dubas said f*** you and found two.

LETSSSS GOOOOO

in all seriousness gotta love how we're rolling right now. Big props to 16 who's been leading us.

Let's keep chugging. glg.
Some would say he's passed a test.

Reactions: Kelly

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Not to be a downer but Tavares looked pretty rough last night and his game seems a bit off now. 2 weeks ago I thought he was the best player on the team. Marner decided to do something about that.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
I thought Robertson looked dangerous and fast all night. I'd like keefe to keep him in for atleast the next 3 to give him more time.
Fast and dangerous but he made so many mistakes and had some awful turn overs in spots where they just can't happen. He has raw talent and speed. He needs to find a way to slow the game down and start thinking a few steps ahead.

Reactions: ACC1224 and horner

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
banking points, but they played a little sloppy, especially in the first period. Tampa should get 100% of their focus.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
i was pleasantly surprised when i saw Samsonov in goal. He was outstanding last night.

Nice that we finally have our goaltending at full strength.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
When did you know it was over for this group?

6 First round exits in a row. Mitch is starting to become likable again so that's good and the tenders are looking good as well. POs are pretty much certain and they get a last crack at that 1st round hump now.

Wins a win glad we are watchable and the drama is gone. Makes hockey more enjoyable.

Reactions: Kelly

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Missed the game last night. Some Sharks fan on the mains posted that Karlsson was amazing defensively. Was that the case? I have difficulty believing this.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It was a fun game to watch live for most in crowd .. brought back old memories of Gretz days of end to end rush games .. exchanging chances .. but for me personally it was terrible defensive hockey which i guess i suspected anywho when our D got decimated .. no one cares cause it is Sharks and they don't have skill to do damage .. but against another decent team that was a loss with a capital L .. as much as I though Holl played solid defensively past week or so last night he reverted to BOZO I am Bobby Orr hockey again .. so out of position for entire game .. no one on coaching staff corrected him at all in game .. i guess no other options so don't want to piss him off .. but without Gio that game Holl would have had many more exposures .. but downside is Gio took a few big hits which he did not need to take because Holl was nowhere around .. later in game Gio just held puck and started flipping it out as he was tired of getting hit waiting for holl .. you could see at game he was getting frustrated .. anywho rest of D was ok .. Sandin got caught twice with his speed issue and Holywell made a couple poor decisions too which created a few breakaways ..

But big shout outs to Mitch and Matty and Sammy .. again those 3 guys (different tender) were reasons we won .. big congrats to Mitch .. i have never seen him play better .. keep it up Mitchy .. well done

Keefer better smarten up this type of game won't work against Tampa .. sorry we lose that one 5-1 if we play like last night

Reactions: ACC1224

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Honestly, I’ve never seen him smile so much and give the impression he’s happy. Gave a lot of love to his teammates too. I’m hoping this will quell the “he’s gone to the US” at the end of his contract talk.
it won't. people want to see what they want to see. until he re-signs, it'll be the same song and dance sadly.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Wasn't the prettiest game but it never felt in doubt. The regular season can be a bit monotonous at times, always awesome when there is some other milestone or achievement to watch for, especially when it's something the entire team is focusing on.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
started the year a bit rough but goaltending is a strength this year whereas it was a notable weakness for last season's 115 point squad. I don't expect our guys to stay at .920+ but it's nice to be getting the saves.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Fast and dangerous but he made so many mistakes and had some awful turn overs in spots where they just can't happen. He has raw talent and speed. He needs to find a way to slow the game down and start thinking a few steps ahead.
It's better for the Leafs that he get opportunities to fix those issues in the regular season as opposed trotting out Engvall and Kerfoot when everyone knows what they are.

Reactions: Pebble live

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Just posted in another thread something similar.
He looks a little lost out there.

Reactions: Pebble live

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Thank God they, in their continued wisdom, paid us to take Murray.

Ottawa hasn't had a top 6 since the Alfredsson days.

I'm still waiting for Brady "Playoff Warrior" Tkachuk to get his team to the post-season.
That is actually one player from their team I would like here. Kerfoot replacement?

They eased him in with 3 clear breakaways allowed.....in the first period.

Thankfully SJ couldn't hit water if they fell off a boat tonight.
Since they are sharks shouldn't they have fell in the boat as that would kill them? Otherwise they would be like a shark in water :dunno:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Agreed. Slowing the game down usually comes with more games played. I think him practicing with the team will also help as he will be surrounded and drilling with NHL players at NHL speed, but games are harder.
All in all I think too many posters expect results like Nylander who made the jump right away after his AHL stint and don't take into account the level of natural talent, iq and team dynamics.
I feel Nick is doing great and will become a good player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad