Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-1 - Marner extends the streak to 18

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Just posted in another thread something similar.
He looks a little lost out there.
The number of times I asked myself "why did he just do that " were too numerous. He has to think a few steps ahead, think "if I do this, this might happen and cause a turnover" etc. Hopefully he'll learn but I have a feeling he might get better but he'll always be prone to that. It's a hockey IQ thing. Get can't away with that crap at the NHL level.

Reactions: ACC1224

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not to be a downer but Tavares looked pretty rough last night and his game seems a bit off now. 2 weeks ago I thought he was the best player on the team. Marner decided to do something about that.
He's still picking up points on the PP, but not as much at ES.

I think it was Nov 12 they switched Nylander and Marner. Look at the ES numbers since:

Matthews 4G 6A +12
Nylander 5G 3A +10
Bunting 2G 6A +10
Marner 5G 2A +6
Tavares 2G 4A +3

JT has assisted on only 2 of Mitch's goals and Mitch assisted on only 1of his.

I know they moved Willy up to try to get Matthews scoring, and it has worked, but I really think they need to put him back with JT.

I notice that over those 10 games Sandin is +8 and Liljegren is +7.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Holy shite! I thought he was missing.
Or is he
Dewey Robertson

1669915399032.jpeg

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Not to be a downer but Tavares looked pretty rough last night and his game seems a bit off now. 2 weeks ago I thought he was the best player on the team. Marner decided to do something about that.
Wins baby !
Wins !
Couldn’t care less about individual totals
Wins !

1669924023958.jpeg

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The number of times I asked myself "why did he just do that " were too numerous. He has to think a few steps ahead, think "if I do this, this might happen and cause a turnover" etc. Hopefully he'll learn but I have a feeling he might get better but he'll always be prone to that. It's a hockey IQ thing. Get can't away with that crap at the NHL level.

He looks like he's always hesitating between using the skillset that sets him apart from the other middle-6 guys and making a safe play. That half second of hesitation ends up turning what would have been a dangerous shot on net into a turnover off the defenders shinpad. It's like he's trying to make the plays that he thinks will keep him in the lineup rather than the plays that are most likely to help win the game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We need 18 more games in a row and then I forgive him. For what I don't know, but I will forgive him.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Joe Bowen's call:

Mitch looked like he teared up on the bench there.

Think about it, since he was 4 years old all he's done was think about, wished for and dreamnt about wearing that Toronto Maple Leafs uniform, about playing in front of that home crowd and maybe even scoring a winning goal.

I had that same dream, only mine was skating out for the opening face off in the old Maple Leaf Gardens against the Blackhawks and Dave Keon looking over and saying "let's go get one."

It's almost surreal now seeing Mitch who had those same dreams, perhaps like many of us did and living it out right in front of all of us, in HD with surround sound.

An 18 game scoring streak tying a Leafs record, a record held by two of his Dads heroes, although I suspect Sittlers name is the one Paul looks to, is fantastic and I hope he breaks it.

It's all pretty magical for Mitch, it's all pretty exciting for his teammates to be up close and personal to the situation, now they just need to use the energy that's being created and funnel it back into the team and become a team that shrugs off the negativity and past baggage and become champions.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Samsonov bailed them out several times. He came back and didn’t miss a beat, great reclamation project by Dubas. Such a great goaltending duo we have!
Reclamation? He had a decent year last season did he not, he just wasnt seen as a starter, and I'm not sure he is, yet! He has been solid and given the Leafs some excellent starts, he still makes the odd mental error, but if he can eliminate those errors than maybe he can eventually be the guy.

The question right now is whether or not extending him should be soon or after the season.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Missed the game, congrats on the win and to Mitch. I've read Samsonov played well. Was he tested often?

Yup. Leafs gave many slot chances and by my count about 4 breakaways which he stopped

so Sammy played fairly well. his post game comment about seeing future was the highlight for me though :laugh:

Reactions: meefer

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Fast and dangerous but he made so many mistakes and had some awful turn overs in spots where they just can't happen. He has raw talent and speed. He needs to find a way to slow the game down and start thinking a few steps ahead.
I think he wants to impress and stay in the lineup and pushed too much.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
It's better for the Leafs that he get opportunities to fix those issues in the regular season as opposed trotting out Engvall and Kerfoot when everyone knows what they are.
I'd 100% prefer to see him in over Engvall. Jarnkrok is going to be out for a bit here so this may be his shot but it didnt take long for Keefe to put ZAR up with JT last night after Robertson had a couple of misplays. So we'll see how much time he actually gets in the top 6.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Reclamation? He had a decent year last season did he not, he just wasnt seen as a starter, and I'm not sure he is, yet! He has been solid and given the Leafs some excellent starts, he still makes the odd mental error, but if he can eliminate those errors than maybe he can eventually be the guy.

The question right now is whether or not extending him should be soon or after the season.
He was pretty bad last year. Not too often teams give up on a 25 year old 1st rd pick for nothing. Hopefully he can turn it around, these are the easy games, we will see how he handles the real pressure.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Why didn’t the travelling journalists ask to speak to Dubas after their win against Detroit to go 4/4 on the road trip? Do they only care to speak to him when things are in the shitter?

Reactions: kb

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Missed the game last night. Some Sharks fan on the mains posted that Karlsson was amazing defensively. Was that the case? I have difficulty believing this.
Three blocked shots, one giveaway, no takeaways, and a -2 for the night.

He did make some good plays, but nothing special IMO.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad