Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Liked the game.
Critically speaking this is the second noticeable night in a row where Bunting was a passenger. While Matty had an ok game, it doesnt help when a linemate is playing by himself.
Kerfoot looks like he needs some practice sessions with shooting.
Holl looks good with the grim reaper standing beside him but im still not inclined to trust him with a secure job. Schenn can stay. Keeping a body like lucic at bay requires horsepower that i havent seen on this team for a long time.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If we get playoff Kerfoot from a few seasons ago (looked like him last night) and revenge Jarnkrok from last night, there is no need to trade for another forward. Love their speed, jam and clutch goal from Calle last night. Kerfoot is snake bit now, only a matter of time when luck goes his way. Good complimentary players with speed and skills for the more physical guys in the bottom 6. Both were playing with grit and purpose last night.

Woll looked great, hopefully enough to settle down the need to throw away that 1st for another goalie who wouldn’t be any better. Get him in some more games down the stretch.

Reactions: Enniskillen

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Kerfoot had a really good game, you can tell he was fighting to keep his spot on this team.

Reactions: Kelly

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Hard game to quantify. AM skated harder, MM looked dangerous, WN at least moved his blades as he can, JT, ROR were mid range, Reilly out of position and weak on D, we had some fine goaltending from the guy the coach does not really want, we won, Schenn showed strength, Gio was Gio and TJ was TJ, just ok.
I hope this period is just guys taking a deep breath before ramping up because there is a lot of passengers, like Bunting.
Go Leafs

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Liked the game.
Critically speaking this is the second noticeable night in a row where Bunting was a passenger. While Matty had an ok game, it doesnt help when a linemate is playing by himself.
Kerfoot looks like he needs some practice sessions with shooting.
Holl looks good with the grim reaper standing beside him but im still not inclined to trust him with a secure job. Schenn can stay. Keeping a body like lucic at bay requires horsepower that i havent seen on this team for a long time.
Matthews was better than OK last night. Marner was easily the best player but they looked like they dod last year more than any other time this year.

horner

May 22, 2007
If Schenn continues to be the compliment to Reilly we’ve been dreaming of, he could play top 4 mins at a near league min salary like his last few deals.

But I’m hopeful they resign O’Rielly, which may mean Bunting, Kampf go as well as Kerf which is all but gone next year.

5-5.5M is doable, if hed take it
Bunting 4.5 million @ 6 yrs
Accuri @ 1.5 million @3 yrs
O'REILLY @ 5.5 million @ 4 yrs

Trade
Jamcrok

Muzzin retires or LTIR
Murray traded or buyout

t would love to keep this group together for next couple of yrs

Let's knies is the real deal

Reactions: exporta

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Trade
Jamcrok

Muzzin retires or LTIR
Murray traded or buyout

Other than Bunting being too much, I think the $$$ is bang on.

IMO Bunting is too dependent on his linemates for production to spend that much. They can find someone better for less $$$.

I'd keep Jarnkrok if possible, he will be doing the Kerfoot role for 40% less cap hit. But I'm not attached to him either.

Reactions: OddyOh

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I thought a lot of Marner's and Matthews' shots tonight were the 'cross the blueline and shoot' type.

Agreed the second line looked weak, mainly I thought because of JT. It looked like a Willy and whoever line. They scored the winner, so that's ok.

Loved the third period shutdown, except for a couple of fumbles by Mitch.
I thought JT had a really solid game. Fantastic defensive game for a change and was noticeable everywhere

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Arguably Marner's best game of the season.
Perhaps offensively more noticeable but that is what you get when there are responsible d covering the other half of the game that he doesn't have to overcommit to helping

Reactions: kk87

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Missed the third but good game from Schenn and McCabe from what I saw.

Definitely going to be seeing a slower , muck-it-up style of hockey than what we're used to but it should still bode well for playoff hockey.

Darch

Jun 30, 2009
Fun game to watch. Woll was solid. Nice to see someone hitting again on the back end. Marner magic! Matthews not scoring, but dang did it open up some lanes for Marner with people tracking him continually. Liked Tavares with Marner/Matthews, but that left a huge hole on the 2nd line!

Now let's get some consistency in the D pairings and get into the Defense first mentality. Offense would benefit from it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
One thing I am really happy about. I don't think come playoff time we will have a single line who I'd be super worried about throwing out there for a D zone draw against the other team's top line.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Trade
Jamcrok

Muzzin retires or LTIR
Murray traded or buyout

Bunting at 4 for 4
His so called feisty and tough game is highly overrated

Like the kid. But he's too dependent on Marner and Matthews
Hasn't shown much down the line up

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I know this was a late one for you east coasters, so I will do my best to recap how the game looked from my POV for those who couldn't cat the game.

Very sloppy 1st period. PP was a disaster, Couldn't string together 3 passes, and we could cleanly exit our zone.

After that, I felt like we played the brand of hockey that wins in May/June. Aggressive on the puck in all 3 zones, and clogged up the neutral zone. This was not a game where I felt like Calgary did not bring their best stuff either. I thought they showed a very strong level of intensity for 60 minutes, but when we decided to wake up and play the game, our team demonstrated why we are the better hockey club. I was especially proud of the final 20 mins. We got the lead early into the period, and we gave them next to nothing beyond that point. I am not sure I have seen us clog up the middle of the ice with that level of efficiency all year. It was incredibly encouraging to watch.

The final 5 mins of a 1 goal game tend to be a f***ing fire drill with us, but Calgary couldn't even gain the zone. Nor could they get a whistle. Markstrom couldn't even leave the cage until under a minute left in the game. Really strong defensive 2nd and 3rd periods. The fancy stats may not align with my synopsis, but I really felt like we were the better squad from the 2nd period onward, and we got progressively better as the game wore on. Markstrom made some incredible saves, and had he been off at any point in that game we may have been able to break this one open.

The good:
Woll - For those who read my posts in the prospect thread, I am not overly high on Woll. I've watched a ton of his AHL games last season and all of his NHL games and was never very high on him. He never read the game at an NHL level IMO. Something has systematically changed on that front. He looks outstanding in the games he's played for us this season. So calm in the blue, and he is really reading the shooters very well. It truly is incredible how far his game has come in just 1 year. Last night he was excellent once again

Schenn- Looked great. He's everything we need on the back end. Clean exits, great stretch passes T2T, Physical, shot blocking, and composed. Such a great feeling seeing him back.

Brodie/McCabe - this duo is going to be a force

Marner- Mitch doing Mitch things. Elite in every aspect.

Kerfoot: Credit where credit is due. He balled out yesterday. Was all over the sheet. Very noticeable in a good way

The bad:
Gustafson: Didn't look good on that opening GA. Pretty routine play that he failed to make. Other then that he as decent

7D/11F: Don't ever do this shit again

Honourable mention goes to Holl. Lots of noise surrounding his name, and it could very well be his last game as a bud, but I thought he played a solid game. Complete pro on his approach to the game yesterday. Whatever ends up happening today, I think Justin should be proud of where he has come in his time in our organization.

On to my home city! Vancouver

Go Leafs Go!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad