Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Great win especially that 3rd period. Defensive excellence. Woll was good in portions we didn't have it.
Also if this was Holl or Kerfoot's last games, they left on a good note. Good guys who don't deserve a lot of the hate they get. They do drive you crazy at times.
Now Dubas get us another forward.

Last edited:

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I wasn't that familiar with McCabe's game but he's more fluid and reliable with the puck than I had anticipated.

Can skate, moves the puck well, takes the body when needed and seems very intense.
He also jumps up into the play more than I expected. Struggled in the first game, but liking what I'm seeing so far.

Reactions: weems

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
For all the ups and downs of a season it is impressive the Leafs have only lost 2 games in a row twice this season.

Every ex player and coach will tell you games like last night happen to everyone.

The one thing I wish they would be better at is playing the bottom 10 teams of the league.

Yup. I mean, look at Tampa’s last 5 games. Lost to sabres, beat Detroit, got killed by penguins, beaten by Florida, and the lost again to the Pens. Edmonton has their issues, but they are much better than all of those teams.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yup. I mean, look at Tampa’s last 5 games. Lost to sabres, beat Detroit, got killed by penguins, beaten by Florida, and the lost again to the Pens. Edmonton has there issues, but they are much better than all of those teams.
Ever since the ROR trade, the Leafs lost two games and both games were pretty much finished even before the end of the 1sr period mainly due to Kane playing like McD and McD being McD.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Toronto got better every period, first was ugly, second they started to string together some plays, and in the third, that was a defensive clinic, exactly how you want to see your team play when winning 2-1.

Reactions: saffronleaf

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
My three

1. MM was an absolute magic show most of the night. When he wasn't being magical he was rolling off hits and eating up minutes with positive play and forcing opponents into mistakes. What more can I say.

2. The new guys and I'll include ROR and Acciari. Great seeing Luke looking right at home and doing things Leafs defenders don't usually do like dishing out punishment. McCabes play got better as the night wore on. He is a better puck handler than I'd thought he'd be. Lafferty is crazy speed and like Acciari certainly doesn't mind getting involved. Gustavsson got handcuffed on that rubber ball that came back to the point, but he didn't let it effect his game. When Acciari went off after the shot block I thought goddamned Leaf luck. ROR is Forsberg with less offense, i love his game.

3. Joey the brick Woll. The first goal was unfortunate, not quite into the game and facing down a guy hes never seen before, whos bearing down on him at full tilt boogie. He shook it off and was cool as a cuke and showed off that sweet glove a few times. When was the last time you remember a Leafs goalie with a cobra like that.

By the 3rd period it sure looked like the team really got a handle on what the coach really wanted out of them, and it kind of seemed to work I suppose. Maybe just maybe Sheldon may know what he's doing!

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
My three

1. MM was an absolute magic show most of the night. When he wasn't being magical he was rolling off hits and eating up minutes with positive play and forcing opponents into mistakes. What more can I say.

2. The new guys and I'll include ROR and Acciari. Great seeing Luke looking right at home and doing things Leafs defenders don't usually do like dishing out punishment. McCabes play got better as the night wore on. He is a better puck handler than I'd thought he'd be. Lafferty is crazy speed and like Acciari certainly doesn't mind getting involved. Gustavsson got handcuffed on that rubber ball that came back to the point, but he didn't let it effect his game. When Acciari went off after the shot block I thought goddamned Leaf luck. ROR is Forsberg with less offense, i love his game.

3. Joey the brick Woll. The first goal was unfortunate, not quite into the game and facing down a guy hes never seen before, whos bearing down on him at full tilt boogie. He shook it off and was cool as a cuke and showed off that sweet glove a few times. When was the last time you remember a Leafs goalie with a cobra like that.

By the 3rd period it sure looked like the team really got a handle on what the coach really wanted out of them, and it kind of seemed to work I suppose. Maybe just maybe Sheldon may know what he's doing!
I think many know Keefe is a really good systems coach. It's the lineup decisons we don't trust him on.

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Marner 8 shots 1goal and Matthews 8 shots but no goal. Nylander 2. That second line feels unbalanced. But give it a few more games.
I thought a lot of Marner's and Matthews' shots tonight were the 'cross the blueline and shoot' type.

Agreed the second line looked weak, mainly I thought because of JT. It looked like a Willy and whoever line. They scored the winner, so that's ok.

Loved the third period shutdown, except for a couple of fumbles by Mitch.

Reactions: ZEBROA

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think Willie blow the zone a bit too often to pair with ROR.
Many of them do: Willy, JT, Mitch, and Matthews all to it far too much. Puts too much pressure on our D, which is why they turn back and get caught so much.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They were cheating, so it got called back.
Funny how when that happens to us there are a couple of posters who insist that the rule is bad because the offside didn't affect the scoring chance.

They must have missed tonight's game.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Strange seeing McCabe crosscheck Nurse in the mouth yesterday, Schenn shoveling a guy out of his goalie crease today..... Aciari and Lafferty throwing hits....what the hell? Who are these guys/in blue and white?

A week ago leafs didn't have one gritty player.

A whole new dimension to the team and much more entertaining.

horner

May 22, 2007
Now we finally have a defence that I have wanted talented and tough
The great part is we can bring them back next season as well minus Holl .
Schenn you are home and never leaving.

Reactions: exporta

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Now we finally have a defence that I have wanted talented and tough
The great part is we can bring them back next season as well minus Holl .
Schenn you are home and never leaving.

If Schenn continues to be the compliment to Reilly we’ve been dreaming of, he could play top 4 mins at a near league min salary like his last few deals.

But I’m hopeful they resign O’Rielly, which may mean Bunting, Kampf go as well as Kerf which is all but gone next year.

5-5.5M is doable, if hed take it

Reactions: horner

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
By the third the tempo was back for the team. New guys less hesitant, fewer bobbled pucks, crisp passes. They kept pushing and were solid defensively in the third. Hope this trend continues as they play together more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad