Confirmed with Link: Leafs will pick 1st pick in the 2016 NHL draft! Pt.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Some people don't remember the days between about 1996 and 2006 very well.

Cujo is the single reason I am a Leaf fan today. He was my favorite player for the Oilers (Oilers were my favorite team as I lived in Alberta), and I followed him to the Leafs. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

He is a HOF caliber goalie and anyone disrespecting him would cry tears of joy if we ever had a goalie as good as him again. Sure we only had him for a short period and he never won us any cups, but he got us a heck of a lot closer than the majority of previous attempts.

Again, not very happy to come in here and read any slight over my favorite player and reason I am a Leafs fan.

I thought the same until I watched Belfour and realized what a HOF goalie looks like.

Cujo was a very good goalie, I don't think many would describe him as great.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I thought the same until I watched Belfour and realized what a HOF goalie looks like.

I second this and I love cujo. I was very happy when we got him.
Belfour broduer roy hasek and now price are all next level goalies.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010

What a HoF goalie looks like: 963 games .906 career SV%
What a very good goalie looks like: 943 games .906 career SV%

Belfour simply played for better teams, and better defensive teams. A goaltender won't win a Jennings playing for those Blues' teams of the 90s.

And their stats in Toronto are almost identical (.912 vs. .910), and would be so if it were not for Joseph's stats in Toronto as a 41 year-old.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

In terms of skill...I don't agree. Cujo was a great goalie and as much a HOF goalie as Belfour was.

No idea why the heck Cujo's HOF qualifications is a discussion point in the Leafs 1st overall thread but whatever.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Some people don't remember the days between about 1996 and 2006 very well.

Cujo is the single reason I am a Leaf fan today. He was my favorite player for the Oilers (Oilers were my favorite team as I lived in Alberta), and I followed him to the Leafs. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

He is a HOF caliber goalie and anyone disrespecting him would cry tears of joy if we ever had a goalie as good as him again. Sure we only had him for a short period and he never won us any cups, but he got us a heck of a lot closer than the majority of previous attempts.

Again, not very happy to come in here and read any slight over my favorite player and reason I am a Leafs fan.

No objective person would put Cujo in the Hall. He's in the Hall of Very Good, that's about it. Take that suggestion to the HoH section, they'll eat you alive.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
No objective person would put Cujo in the Hall. He's in the Hall of Very Good, that's about it. Take that suggestion to the HoH section, they'll eat you alive.

Cujo didn't win a single thing in his career other than a leadership award in 2000. I guess gold in 2002 as well, but he was the backup after laying an egg after being named #1 in Salt Lake City.

Honestly, there's no comparison between Belfour and Joseph.

Belfour credentials:
5X Jennings winner
Calder winner
2X Vezina winner
All rookie team
2X first all star team
6X All star
1X second all star team
1 Stanley cup and 2 other appearances
1X Roger Crozier saving grace award(lead league in SV%)
Gold medal in 2002 Olympics
1991 Canada Cup Gold medal

Joseph credentials:
3X NHL All-Star
1x King Clancy award winner(Leadership award)
Gold in 2002 Olympics
Gold in 2007 Spengler cup
Silver in 1996 World cup
Silver in 1996 World championships

Last edited:

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC

I called him a "HOF caliber goalie". I'm not saying he should or should not be in the HOF, calm down.

He might not have the accolades to back up his skills or his influence on the game, but that doesn't mean he is not "HOF caliber".

Please go back and reread my post. I was simply saying we would be over the moon if we ever got a goalie of his caliber again.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I called him a "HOF caliber goalie". I'm not saying he should or should not be in the HOF, calm down.

He might not have the accolades to back up his skills or his influence on the game, but that doesn't mean he is not "HOF caliber".

Please go back and reread my post. I was simply saying we would be over the moon if we ever got a goalie of his caliber again.

Guys why are we talking about Cujo and Belfour in the draft thread?!

If we want Goalies like them we need to follow the same route they came through.

UNDRAFTED :sarcasm:

Crazy to think about.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Can we just change the title to the Leafs will be picking Matthews?

I can't think of a bigger way to jinx our pick :laugh:

"With the 1st overall pick in the 2016 NHL entry draft the Toronto Maple Leafs are proud to select, from the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League, Olli Juolevi!"

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Justs that one that he was passed by Laine in last rankings

Before the draft, when I assumed it was a foregone conclusion we'd end up in fourth, I allowed myself to dream a little and imagine getting 2nd overall so we could take Laine.

Didn't know much about either prospect tbh, but liked what I'd seen from Laine at the WJC and he seems like an interesting guy.

Since we're actually picking first and looking more into Matthews (still not a ton to go on) he better be locked in at #1 for the Leafs. I don't even care what Laine does from here to the draft or if Matthews has a poor WHC, we have to take Matthews we will never get a shot at this type of player again!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wow, this page has been a wild read.

I'm kinda curious how CuJo vs Belfour got started in the #1 Pick Thread :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I can't think of a bigger way to jinx our pick :laugh:

"With the 1st overall pick in the 2016 NHL entry draft the Toronto Maple Leafs are proud to select, from the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League, Olli Juolevi!"

that London Knight Bias though..

Wow, this page has been a wild read.

I'm kinda curious how CuJo vs Belfour got started in the #1 Pick Thread :laugh:

stars wanting to leave Toronto.
aka Matthews will want to bolt the minute his seven years is up

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Check out the Matthews thread on the prospects forum..

Our friend Interactif is up to his old tactics yet again :laugh:

Judging from his posts, it sounds like he legitimately believes that the Matthews vs Laine debate is more valid than the Matthews vs Eichel debate.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Check out the Matthews thread on the prospects forum..

Our friend Interactif is up to his old tactics yet again :laugh:

Judging from his posts, it sounds like he legitimately believes that the Matthews vs Laine debate is more valid than the Matthews vs Eichel debate.

people keep saying he's posting but i don't see him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad