Confirmed with Link: Leafs will pick 1st pick in the 2016 NHL draft! Pt.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Cujo waves to you.

and Cujo would be the first to say - as he has said, that leaving in 2002 was on of the worst decisions he made. He said he always loved Toronto, nothing against Detroit, but he shouldn't have left. and he left "to chase a cup" (but really - he left because he was mad at Quinn because of Salt Lake City).

I'm glad he did - because it meant we got Belfour whom I really liked before, and loved when he got here.

Ultimately again, this could be a "Stamkos" situation, and he leaves. but that's seven years from now. Let's cross that bridge when we get there.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Barkov just signed for 6 years for 5,9M and we all said that it was a bargain. And if Matthews is actually as good as they advertise him, I believe he will cost even more after he comes out of his ELC. But I would love to get him for 8 years after his ELC, that is still lower than signing him to a bridge and then paying 8M+ on his next contract, because you bought less RFA and more UFA years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
some of the things that have been said by leafs brass have me wondering if they are thinking of taking laine with the first pick.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/lamoriello-felt-a-few-palpitations-during-lottery~860986 @1:25 "how valuable is it, when people talk about rebuilding a franchise, they talk about building from the back out, defense, goaltender, and then they talk about #1 centers, how valuable is getting a #1 center?" "i think it's valuable to get the best player available, we will take the best player that our organization feels is there."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/shows/tim-and-sid-show/weve-got-opportunity-get-best-player-lamoriello-ts/ @2:54 "all of us have seen the top 3 players and others, and we have to also realize if you go back to any draft and look at some of the players who've had success they were not necessarily the consensus players."

as well as the last question of shanahan's post lottery press conference he was asked if it's rare to find a center in the draft with the talent that matthews has and he said he doesn't know if it's rare and that it's a very deep draft with a lot of very good players.

Well, the Leafs like to play it close to their chests, though I do want the whole process over with and have Matthews in a Leafs jersey as soon as possible.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I thought he said stars?

Joseph was a good goaltender, I know it just seems he was a star compared to the jokes they've had in net since, outside of a declining Belfour.

really? he was runner up for vezina 3-4 times, multiple allstar appearances and 4th in the all times wins category for goaltenders.

odds are he'll end up in the HOF.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
and Cujo would be the first to say - as he has said, that leaving in 2002 was on of the worst decisions he made. He said he always loved Toronto, nothing against Detroit, but he shouldn't have left. and he left "to chase a cup" (but really - he left because he was mad at Quinn because of Salt Lake City).

I'm glad he did - because it meant we got Belfour whom I really liked before, and loved when he got here.

Ultimately again, this could be a "Stamkos" situation, and he leaves. but that's seven years from now. Let's cross that bridge when we get there.

none of that is hear nor there. stars have left toronto for a variety of reasons.

usually in the last 20 years, they haven't left because they retired here. and not in a good way.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

Yea, not many guys leave a city and start crying during their exit press conference. Not to mention he went from being revered in Toronto to the scapegoat in Detroit in 1-season flat.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Barkov just signed for 6 years for 5,9M and we all said that it was a bargain. And if Matthews is actually as good as they advertise him, I believe he will cost even more after he comes out of his ELC. But I would love to get him for 8 years after his ELC, that is still lower than signing him to a bridge and then paying 8M+ on his next contract, because you bought less RFA and more UFA years.

for sure. if he's the real deal and the leafs and everyone will know that within 2 years of his skates hitting the ice, then there's no way the leafs don't lock him up long term.

avoids a) arbritration b) offersheets and allows for long term cap planning.

if toronto tried to do something so moronic as offer him a cheesy bridge deal, then he can go to arbitration following that. yes, that would be pretty smart .. wouldn't it? :sarcasm:

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Yea, not many guys leave a city and start crying during their exit press conference. Not to mention he went from being revered in Toronto to the scapegoat in Detroit in 1-season flat.

he also went from godlike status to hated here in toronto pretty quick.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
really? he was runner up for vezina 3-4 times, multiple allstar appearances and 4th in the all times wins category for goaltenders.

Cujo?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Yeah, Cujo is the one case I can think of (post-Ballard) where a star player left when we wanted him to stay.

On the topic of Cujo, I think his legacy took a big hit after he left Toronto. I know he wanted the cup more than anything so he really shouldn't have regrets for trying, but for some reason, he's gone on record as saying he regretted leaving Toronto. He would've been far more fondly remembered had he stayed here. We would've thought of that era as the Sundin-Cujo era and not just the Sundin era.

Hopefully he can have a chat one day with his Newmarket neighbour and friend of his son, (ahem, CM97), and tell him how much he regretted leaving Toronto back in the day. :sarcasm:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
he's 5th all time in wins, at several times in his career he was considered one of the best goaltenders on the planet.

if osgood can make it into the HHOF, then so can joseph.

Possibly.

I was never much of a fan so my opinion is definately tainted.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

and when he came back I don't think it was "the same"

like, i get what rcc is saying, people leave, but I think it's... I don't think "rare" is the word i'm looking for - but it's more because management was 100 percent stupid. [and in CuJo's case... being petty]

Roberts + Nieuwendyk left because JFJ was MORONIC and wanted to underpay roberts and overpay Nieuwendyk, forgetting (apparently) that they were BFFs, they would talk to each other, and since they publicly stated they wanted to play together... they went to Florida and did just that.

Joseph left - again I would say it was 80% being pissed off at Quinn, 20% cup chasing. Because at the time, Detroit + Toronto were relatively similar. the contracts offered were similar, and Quinn offered the same amount of contract - but he left anyway. which was stupid because A: Joseph STILL got a gold medal, B: he REALLY wasn't that good in salt lake, and Brodeur was awesome. like. sorry get over it.

Sundin - Fletcher/Burke didn't want him anymore. he would have stayed.

I cant remember why Mogliny left. I don't think he retired with us though [no he didn't, his contract ended during the Great Lockout].

I think (I really can't remember) - Stumpy didn't leave under the happiest of banners either, and I think that was because of Quinn.

hell. if you really want to put the Toronto Fanbase/Media into it. there's you know
Larry Murphy,
Kessel
Phaneuf
Riemer to a certain extent

and all of them (but Kessel, and even Kessel flat out stated he loved Toronto and the fans several times) - basically know what's up with this city. (and the Fanbase). we're Massive. like it's not just. "Toronto" and then a sprinkle of fans wherever you go. It's "Toronto" and say 50% of any market (maybe except for Montreal). wherever you go. So it's just. LOUDER. and there are some stupid people out there. and it can get circusy at times. (something that Lou/Shanahan seriously stamped out last year)

i personally feel players like a Matthews. (or a Stamkos, or a player who has almost always had the magnifying glass on them) - can handle playing here, because they've had to handle it all their lives. they've dealt with the uber praise (and uber criticism) since they were 12. I firmly believe that the idiots who are mondo abusive and what not, aren't Leafs fans at all, - and I think for the most part the players AND their wives know it. (April Reimer for example has stated that for every one idiot who pipes up there's almost always another bevy of Leafs Nation rushing to her rescue - she knows what's up).

ultimately rightly or wrongly/fair or not fair, Toronto gets painted with this certain brush. we care too much, we're obsesseive too much, the management is a joke. then they get here and they realise for the most part, it's just a "bigger" "Louder" market than say St Louis (pulling a name out of my head). and instead of being buried in the sports section because Baseball + Football + basketball reign supreme, you're on the front page.

but the ownership gives you a tonne of stuff more than other teams can (minus a few). I remember Jokienen being amazed how good it was here in terms of Perks. Winnik (aka the gift that keeps on giving) said that he truly enjoyed his time here (twice) and if he can make it work here again he'll sign here a third time because when it's good - it's REALLY GOOD, and when it's bad, there's usually a reason and the fans KNOW the reason. which - can actually be a good thing, because "shock" you want fans who care.

Kadri - who gets it more than any first round pick I've known (probably more than Gauthier - who people hate because he's just gonna be a 4th liner, and Schenn), signed here because he loves it. Rielly signed here and gave up ufa years and all he's ever known was GongShow Toronto. Probably because they can see what we see now, and changes are coming for the better.

this is just a long winded way of saying - that I don't see why Matthews couldn't handle it here. he seems like a very grounded, mature person, who has had to put up with being in the spotlight and criticism for a very long time. and once he's here, he'll be put into the bubble of "yah the fans are nuts, but it comes from a place of love and obsession ;) ) and he'll probably retire a Leaf.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Ok. By no means do I ever want to trade Matthews to Arizona- but wouldn't it be hilarious if this new baby-faced 26 year old Arizona GM was some Matthews fanboy, and was willing to offer us the moon for Matthews? Perhaps Strome, Domi, Dvorak, OEL and their 7th overall? Would be fun to see this GM get schooled by someone 3x his age. :naughty:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If anything I would expect this move (new GM) to kill this ridiculous talk of Arizona acquiring our 1st. Likely to be cautious to start, and hopefully values his farm system.

zero interest in making a deal for me. I'll take Matthews and keep building.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Some people don't remember the days between about 1996 and 2006 very well.

Cujo is the single reason I am a Leaf fan today. He was my favorite player for the Oilers (Oilers were my favorite team as I lived in Alberta), and I followed him to the Leafs. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

He is a HOF caliber goalie and anyone disrespecting him would cry tears of joy if we ever had a goalie as good as him again. Sure we only had him for a short period and he never won us any cups, but he got us a heck of a lot closer than the majority of previous attempts.

Again, not very happy to come in here and read any slight over my favorite player and reason I am a Leafs fan.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Yeah im not going to individually reply to all those posts but i still disagree. I think there are 2 scenerios here. 1st scenerio is that he is putting up ppg numbers by year 3. In that case i agree that it would probably go to an 8 year deal right away. But I think you guys are setting tour expectations a bit high. What if by year 3 he becomes a 30g 30a guy. A 60 point producing 1c would have a lot of questions. Also you are assuming he plays every game and doesnt get injured. What if he Tears his mcl and is out for 5 months and his development gets delayed. Would you sign that 60 point player who has only played 2 seasons to an 80 million dollar deal? Probably not. You guys are thinking in terms of absolutes to much. Its possible that he goes beast mode but you also need to temper expectations. To say that he is definitively getting an 8 year deal off of his elc is conditional rather than a certainty at this point. My whole point is that it is foolish to worry about this ufa issue when he is going to be locked up for at least 11 years.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Yeah im not going to individually reply to all those posts but i still disagree. I think there are 2 scenerios here. 1st scenerio is that he is putting up ppg numbers by year 3. In that case i agree that it would probably go to an 8 year deal right away. But I think you guys are setting tour expectations a bit high. What if by year 3 he becomes a 30g 30a guy. A 60 point producing 1c would have a lot of questions. Also you are assuming he plays every game and doesnt get injured. What if he Tears his mcl and is out for 5 months and his development gets delayed. Would you sign that 60 point player who has only played 2 seasons to an 80 million dollar deal? Probably not. You guys are thinking in terms of absolutes to much. Its possible that he goes beast mode but you also need to temper expectations. To say that he is definitively getting an 8 year deal off of his elc is conditional rather than a certainty at this point. My whole point is that it is foolish to worry about this ufa issue when he is going to be locked up for at least 11 years.

:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad