Confirmed with Link: Leafs will pick 1st pick in the 2016 NHL draft! Pt.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Laine is a sexy pick. He's got the flash, he scores big goals, has great size and skill.

That said, I take Mathews 10 outta 10. I don't even think it's debatable.

Mathews can score like Laine can score, and he does everything else better at a more important position.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Laine is a sexy pick. He's got the flash, he scores big goals, has great size and skill.

That said, I take Mathews 10 outta 10. I don't even think it's debatable.

Mathews can score like Laine can score, and he does everything else better at a more important position.

I think two-way centers are sexy. I like the Leafs' tradition of centers that played responsible defense. Ted Kennedy. Dave Keon. Red Kelly. Doug Gilmour. Now, on top of that, could Matthews be better than all of them offensively?

And while we're at it, all 4 of them were dynamite playoff performers. Among the greatest playoff performers of all-time. Perhaps a correlation between playoff success and strong two-way play up the middle.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
By the time AM is eligible for free agency the Arizona coyotes may cease to exist. Then the temptation will be removed to even think about going home.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
As soon as Matthews arrives at the ACC and visits all the facilities and sees the city, the fan support, Arizona will be a distant memory for him.

He will fall in love with the city and I think as a first overall pick, he will be treated like royalty.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As soon as Matthews arrives at the ACC and visits all the facilities and sees the city, the fan support, Arizona will be a distant memory for him.

He will fall in love with the city and I think as a first overall pick, he will be treated like royalty.

I don't worry about that. Everyone had their childhood teams. Kadri was a Habs fan growing up. I don't know Toews favourite team growing up but that was a kid from Winnipeg and he's happy to call Chicago home.

Matthews will be loved here, he's the #1C this city has been craving, and from all indications he has a great head on his shoulders. He will be a great pro :)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't worry about that. Everyone had their childhood teams. Kadri was a Habs fan growing up. I don't know Toews favourite team growing up but that was a kid from Winnipeg and he's happy to call Chicago home.

Matthews will be loved here, he's the #1C this city has been craving, and from all indications he has a great head on his shoulders. He will be a great pro :)

Agree with this
Also look at all the young talent that will be around him
When we have Mathews Nylander Marner Reilly JVR on the PP if we want to
I'm sure he will love every minute of that
He's going to be loved
He's going nowhere

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
If those "real" fans who were cheering for wins, would have seen their beloved Leafs win just a mere +5 more games this year, then the Leafs would have finished with 79 points and been drafting #8 overall.

If their loyal cheering had returned +10 more wins on the season their cherished Leafs would be drafting #13 and just ahead of the Bruins.

Cheering for wins, but enduring losses and the Leafs finishing 30th must have been worst case possible scenario for them and most disappointing end for their year long support.

On the silver lining side of things, those so called "non-real" Leaf fans that were cheering for losses, can't stop jumping around with unbridled enthusiasm, struggling to maintain composure, and control their excitement and emotions, knowing that the team they cheer for will be drafting #1 overall. Its exactly what they were cheering for and exactly what the end result was. Wining the draft lottery the next best thing to winning the Stanley Cup this year for a non playoff team fan base.

Looks like on paper the non-real diehard Leaf fans, and the Leafs themselves are the ones coming out the big winners on the season. Those who were cheering for wins better luck next year, and things are looking better for them in the future. So its a win win for everyone I suppose.

Mess, Mess, Mess. What a tangled web we weave.

People who are against the notion of tanking fully understand the concept that higher picks have higher chances of becoming impact players. What they don't support or in many cases do not want to be associated with is the lowering of oneself to certain levels for a notion that is foolhardy at best.

You can argue if you want that being a tanker is a somehow "enlightened" position, that of a person who sees the forest for the trees, that in cheering against the team you are really cheering for them.

Problem is, you are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.

To date there have been 52 first overall selections. Do you know how many have won Cups? 13. A grand 25%.

So having a first overall in and of itself simply doesn't carry much weight. You know what all those that won had in common? Incredibly deep teams outside of themselves.

They were all very good at doing what some of us have been saying for years: draft well (no matter where you land), sign well, trade well. There's no great secret.

If Matthews is successful in Toronto it will be because of all the other depth we build around him by drafting well no matter where we land (see Brown), signing well (see Soshnikov) and trading well (see Carrick).

The notion that you have to draft #1 overall or even in the lottery has never had any merit and has been disproven by many teams that stay successful for years without being there.

You'll just have to pardon the "anti-tankers" for not supporting cheering against their team. For not applauding injuries to their team. For not being upset at wins that may alter their draft position but that provide crippled children with possibly the highest moment of their lives. Or forever bemoaning a player who has toiled their whole life to play at the top and who has a great night after being rewarded with one final shot at the show. These are all things I've watched "tank nation" do and all levels I have no interest in stooping to.

Most of us who have lived enough life to know what is and isn't important know hockey is just grown men chasing a rubber disk and certainly not worth debasing ourselves over by hoping people get hurt and ignoring the joy of kids who dream of hockey. We also know that good teams are historically successful no matter where they draft. So no, losing a bunch of games is not very hard to endure when you support your team or when you have some life perspective or when you can find happiness in people doing something great or kids having a great experience.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Mess, Mess, Mess. What a tangled web we weave.

People who are against the notion of tanking fully understand the concept that higher picks have higher chances of becoming impact players. What they don't support or in many cases do not want to be associated with is the lowering of oneself to certain levels for a notion that is foolhardy at best.

You can argue if you want that being a tanker is a somehow "enlightened" position, that of a person who sees the forest for the trees, that in cheering against the team you are really cheering for them.

Problem is, you are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.

To date there have been 52 first overall selections. Do you know how many have won Cups? 13. A grand 25%.

So having a first overall in and of itself simply doesn't carry much weight. You know what all those that won had in common? Incredibly deep teams outside of themselves.

They were all very good at doing what some of us have been saying for years: draft well (no matter where you land), sign well, trade well. There's no great secret.

If Matthews is successful in Toronto it will be because of all the other depth we build around him by drafting well no matter where we land (see Brown), signing well (see Soshnikov) and trading well (see Carrick).

The notion that you have to draft #1 overall or even in the lottery has never had any merit and has been disproven by many teams that stay successful for years without being there.

You'll just have to pardon the "anti-tankers" for not supporting cheering against their team. For not applauding injuries to their team. For not being upset at wins that may alter their draft position but that provide crippled children with possibly the highest moment of their lives. Or forever bemoaning a player who has toiled their whole life to play at the top and who has a great night after being rewarded with one final shot at the show. These are all things I've watched "tank nation" do and all levels I have no interest in stooping to.

Most of us who have lived enough life to know what is and isn't important know hockey is just grown men chasing a rubber disk and certainly not worth debasing ourselves over by hoping people get hurt and ignoring the joy of kids who dream of hockey. We also know that good teams are historically successful no matter where they draft. So no, losing a bunch of games is not very hard to endure when you support your team or when you have some life perspective or when you can find happiness in people doing something great or kids having a great experience.

The point is people like you were dead wrong, who never missed an opportunity to glorify Brian Burke's accelerated rebuild and villify those of us who had the sense to realize the Leafs need to bottom out in the standings to draft elite talent. And I mean 100% completely WRONG about everything.

I know it must be hard being a Leafs fan for you guys these days knowing our management team has been applying the same strategy you've been demonizing for YEARS but something tells me you'll still enjoy watching Auston Matthews play anyway.

No offence but it is pretty hypocritical and like Mess suggested, you're basically selling out on your belief system by continuing to support this team, their rebuild, and the bright future that is going to materialize as a result of it.

You can't have your cake and eat it to. If you were true to your belief system, you would no longer be a fan of this team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

At the end of the day, the entire hockey world is just a silly little distraction, and no matter how much a tanker wants the cookie to crumble, it doesn't hurt anyone. There isn't really bigger moral issue, the concept of sportsmanship hasn't been tarnished, it didn't ruin a kid's dream or experience of his favorite team.

Tankers like to take a longer view, a strategic approach and appreciate delayed gratification while finding the silver lining in many years of bad hockey. An anti tanker like you looks at things tactically, probably taking it one game at a time, and every time you want them to win. You want to be gratified every time. It's just a different preference, but I wouldn't put a moral spin on it.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Drafting high is certainly not the only way to win. But considering that of the last 10 Cup winners, 8 have had home grown top five picks playing very important roles, it's safe to assume it doesn't hurt.

There is no single method to building a Cup winner. Most should know that. Those aforementioned champions *all* built their teams through draft, trade and free agency. I have never believed that you HAVE to have a top five draft pick to win the Cup. But it does speed up the journey to success a fair bit.

The Leafs needed to scrap everything and start from scratch. I think that was obvious. This was a team filled with losers who were more complacent than the Muskoka 5 ever was. So I am very pleased with the results of this season. Finishing last and being in a position to take a guy like Matthews is a sign that the team is totally committed to a fresh start.

animalanimal

Jul 5, 2015
Well you never know do you? Shanahan was picked 2nd overall after Turgeon. I guess they ended up being very similar production wise even do Shanahan had the better career and become more famous. But the best guy in the draft was picked 15th overall, Joe Sakic.

But I feel very confident in picking Matthews and I think management feel the same. And everything they say should not be taken literally either since there is a lot of diplomatic and political formalities being thrown out by our guys.
i considered that, but going out of your way to mention the consensus thing unprompted just makes me wonder. kinda feels like something you'd say because you're planning to go against the consensus pick..

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
By the time AM is eligible for free agency the Arizona coyotes may cease to exist. Then the temptation will be removed to even think about going home.

It's sad that we're already talking about a teenager we haven't even drafted yet who'd gonna bail. We need to calm down here. Superstars rarely leave, because they get security. Free agents like Stamkos come along once in a blue moon.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Don't know why some are worrying about Auston leaving the Leafs. He is not going to pull a Lindros and TO is the Mecca of Hockey. Esp. After playing in the WC in Sept and a few seasons of sold out crowds at the ACC, I doubt anyone would want to leave the Leafs.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's sad that we're already talking about a teenager we haven't even drafted yet who'd gonna bail. We need to calm down here. Superstars rarely leave, because they get security. Free agents like Stamkos come along once in a blue moon.

Yep, things are going so well people need to invent problems. There is 0 reason to be concerned about Matthews hating Toronto. This is just Debbie Downer stuff that people are swallowing.

leafs rule 11

Jul 28, 2007
Alot of the media and scouts dont understand that laine coming close to matthews was based off the fact matthews was done playing in like early march where as laine was playing like a month and a half longer then him...and thats why his stock has risen but mark my word matthews will be a star at the worlds and show he is the man

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Damn you guys are paranoid :laugh:

You're seriously wasting time worrying about a very unlikely event that could only occur after 7 years? Calm down guys.

This is Toronto. We're talking about the Maple Leafs here, we do not lose players we want to keep. It doesn't happen (CuJo is an exception and he admits he regretted it).

So just relax, we have our #1C for the next 10-15 years. Enjoy it, because by now we know how hard Matthews level players are to come by.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Every time I read this thread title i get butterflies. :laugh: 5 nights later and I still can't believe it.

You know, by the time Matthews becomes an FA; Coyotes might not even be around. :sarcasm:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Alot of the media and scouts dont understand that laine coming close to matthews was based off the fact matthews was done playing in like early march where as laine was playing like a month and a half longer then him...and thats why his stock has risen but mark my word matthews will be a star at the worlds and show he is the man

The media is creating the hype for Laine because they need to create interest for the draft. They attempt to do this every year no matter how clear cut it is. 2 out of 10 scouts recently said they'd take Laine and the hockey world loves it. 80% of scouts said they'd take Matthews. 80%. As if there's doubt? The only people who'd take Laine first at this point are people who like to throw money down and gamble. That's how stupid it's gotten. Things that are guaranteed in life: death, taxes and a debate of whether the clear #2 should go first no matter if it's Crosby or McDavid's draft year.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto

265681d1398449745t-what-whaa-positive-blackberry-mr-burns-excellent-1.jpg

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Damn you guys are paranoid :laugh:

You're seriously wasting time worrying about a very unlikely event that could only occur after 7 years? Calm down guys.

This is Toronto. We're talking about the Maple Leafs here, we do not lose players we want to keep. It doesn't happen (CuJo is an exception and he admits he regretted it).

So just relax, we have our #1C for the next 10-15 years. Enjoy it, because by now we know how hard Matthews level players are to come by.

This. Just enjoy the moment. Lots can happen, no sense worrying about things like that. Like he will leave after 7 years, or not be as flashy as another player. Judging by the Poll on Matthews vs Laine, it looks like most aren't worrying. The bottom line is he is the best centre in this draft, and by all accounts, a franchise one at that. The guy just wants to play in the NHL right now. Playing in Toronto and having even a hint of success at this point will be amazing for him and us fans. He isn't going to pull a Lindros, or play in Europe because Arizona didn't draft him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad