Confirmed with Link: Leafs will pick 1st pick in the 2016 NHL draft! Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
While I was initially as excited and as happy as all of you, I've calmed down and I thought for the last few hours. To me, losing the first pick and ending up with the second one would've been the better outcome, as management would've undoubtedly picked Laine. I believe Auston Matthews will get picked first overall, and while he's an elite player, I don't see the all time great potential in him, which I see in Laine. We'll see if I'm right or wrong in the next few years, but I have a feeling management will regret picking Matthews over Laine.

Mathews = Malkin

Laine= Ovechkin

Can't go wrong folks

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
While I was initially as excited and as happy as all of you, I've calmed down and I thought for the last few hours. To me, losing the first pick and ending up with the second one would've been the better outcome, as management would've undoubtedly picked Laine. I believe Auston Matthews will get picked first overall, and while he's an elite player, I don't see the all time great potential in him, which I see in Laine. We'll see if I'm right or wrong in the next few years, but I have a feeling management will regret picking Matthews over Laine.

remember, good coaching goes a long way as well to player development

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Mathews = Malkin

Laine= Ovechkin

Can't go wrong folks

He doesn't play like Malkin at all.

Who was another center with size, a varied shot arsenal, good passing and an ability to know where to be on the ice, coupled with the strength and hands to be a menace down low and around the net?

The kid plays like Mats. He's not flashy, he just gets it done. And he is so damn good near the net.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Nonis was the one who MADE the mistakes.

Lupul, Phaneuf, Kessel, Robidas, Clarkson contracts, Bolland trade, compliance buyout debacle.. ALL Nonis.

We are almost denonisified and to accompish that, he had to pay Horton 25M+ not to play to get rid of Clarkson, luckily he was saved from another mistake by Bolland signing elsewhere. The team had to retain to trade Kessel, had to place Robidas and Lupul on LTIR, and still have a couple years of cap penalty due to his handling of the compliance buyouts.

Burke has a job running another NHL franchise, Nonis is a consultant.

Mess is just trying to dodge that he was one of the biggest supporters of Dave Nonis when he became GM... mostly because Mess hated Brian Burke and wanted to blame Burke for EVERYTHING. So he decided that Nonis was a great GM because he wasn't Burke.

For example:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=69695103&postcount=29
Mess said:
Inherited bad contracts is the problem not current spending!!!!.

If Nonis doesn't buyout Komisarek and Grabovski the 2 highest bad contracts = $10 mil combined recaptured cap space then Leafs would have had -$4 mil at present to resign Kadri, Franson and Fraser. (other things remaining the same)

If Liles a #7 Dman wasn't occupying $3.8 mil there would also be no cap concern to resign the current RFAs. Could have used a 3rd compliance buyout to rid the team of this mistake.

Cap dropped by over $6 mil and that meant the Connolly and MacArthur UFA had to walk away and not replaced to address the league lowering the ceiling.

If Nonis buys out Grabovski in order to afford Bozak raise in part, and if he doesn't resign Bozzie, then Leafs enter this season with Kadri, Bolland, McClement and Colborne as its 4 centers .. Good luck making the playoffs with that as your center ice group. Whereas keeping Grabs ($5.5 mil) and letting Bozak walk ($4.2 mil) would have eaten away an additional $1.3 mil to sign current RFAs.

Armstrong and Tucker's buyouts are on the books also because of more past GM mistakes and corrections.

The only issue anyone could have with Nonis is to debate the Clarkson signing.. But in that regard he is a Toronto boy, adds much needed size and grit, experience and leadership to the top 6/9 forwards.. He was who hockey experts considered the most coveted\top available UFA this summer.. Which is different than past years where the GM went out and spent big $ on 2nd rate UFA ie Connolly, Komisarek, etc with little help.

Nonis was handed a poor hand by the previous GM and is using all CBA available options to do the best he can to move the team forward, in his opinion. Whether that happens as he hopes is yet to be determined, but that criticism for failure would first need to play itself out to see what happens.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Forgotten in all these that we have 13 picks. Also few twos few threes for next couple of years.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Am I the only one who secretly wished to get the second pick ? To draft Laine and sign Stamkos this off season.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This is pretty much meaningless because it's not how the actual process works, you don't pick the top 3 teams and then decide when they slot in like how we get the info on TV. But when the commercial break between the reveal happened I wondered what our exact odds of #1 was given we knew the top 3 teams in an unknown order. It obviously wasn't 33%/33%/33% since we had higher odds at the beginning so I did some math.

Once the top 3 teams were known but not the order. TOR, WPG, CLB these are the odds we had to get each pick

1st: 38.056%
2nd: 33.282%
3rd: 28.661%

Here's why. There were 6 different possible orders of the top 3 picks from 3 teams. TOR/WIN/CLB, TOR/CLB/WIN, WIN/TOR/CLB, etc, etc 1 of these combinations had to happen, which 1 we had no clue. So to figure out the odds you just find the probability that each combo had of happening before the lottery. Which I did

TOR/WPG/CLB: 0.2456897%
TOR/CLB/WPG: 0.2526596%
WPG/TOR/CLB: 0.2124884%
WPG/CLB/TOR: 0.1856073%
CLB/TOR/WIN: 0.2233455%
CLB/WIN/TOR: 0.1897091%

add them all up to find the total chance of said 3 teams happening

1.3094996%

and then add the 2 1st pick% up and divide by the above number to get the odds of us picking 1st, same for the 2nd and 3rd and you get that result

Again, this means virtually nothing since this isn't how the lottery proceeds, but given this is the order in which the viewers got the info, that would be the odds of each pick with the knowledge ahead of time that those 3 teams would be top 3 in an unknown order

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Outscored Eichel by 15 pts in same number of games? I have zero knowledge of that league but is there a difference in teams or players that can account for this point difference?

Matthews holds the record of 55 Goals. Better than Eichel (38), Kane (52), Kessel (52), JVR (38).
His PPG is also off the charts and ahead of Eichel ...

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Am I the only one who secretly wished to get the second pick ? To draft Laine and sign Stamkos this off season.

I think this is what they call a no lose proposition. Both guys are going to be amazing. Matthews will be a possession beast and a leader, while Laine might hit 50 goals. Sundin and Ovechkin. Can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad