Leafs vs. Wings - "Centennial Classic" Outdoor Game Jan 1, 2017

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Detroit has been in the West for a long time. For many there is no rivalry there. It's just "that western team that isn't a western team anymore." No real interest in the matchup.

And I agree with a previous post....if I get some tickets will gladly send people the link to the stub hub for them :).

In the end it's the league throwing the bare minimum. There are plenty of outdoor games every year, nothing crazy to say about that.

i think that's really it. it's not that we're too cool for it or anything like that. It just seems very much like this was a last minute toss. all the reports were like "Oh when everything is announced it all makes sense."...

and now it's like. "is that it? is this the thing that makes sense?"

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't see it as an afterthought type of event. The Winter Classic, Heritage Classic, and Stadium Series outdoor games will continue to be staged annually, and those events have no link to the history of our storied franchise.

I like the fact that this will be the one and only Centennial Classic in NHL history, and it will be hosted in Toronto where it belongs, before any other outdoor games in 2017.

As for going up against the NFL, who cares about U.S. ratings? The ratings in Canada will be off the charts, and I think real hockey fans south of the border will tune is as well.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't see it as an afterthought type of event. The Winter Classic, Heritage Classic, and Stadium Series outdoor games will continue to be staged annually, and those events have no link to the history of our storied franchise.

I like the fact that this will be the one and only Centennial Classic in NHL history, and it will be hosted in Toronto where it belongs, before any other outdoor games in 2017.

As for going up against the NFL, who cares about U.S. ratings? The ratings in Canada will be off the charts, and I think real hockey fans south of the border will tune is as well.
Toronto was the first Canadian team to win a Winter Classic and Tyler Bozak was only the second NHL player to score a shootout winner in that game, so there is some history of it linked to the Leafs.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Toronto was the first Canadian team to win a Winter Classic and Tyler Bozak was only the second NHL player to score a shootout winner in that game, so there is some history of it linked to the Leafs.

Ok, allow me to rephrase. The Winter Classic has no link to the history of our storied franchise prior to 2014. :D

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan speaks on the first-ever NHL Centennial Classic coming to Toronto in 2017.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
When the Habs had their centennial. Was the league also celebrating it's 100 years or where there any other teams like the St. Louis Blue or LA Kings celebrating their 50th anniversaries.

Looks like it's a pretty busy year to claim the full sweep, even for our storied franchise.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Detroit has been in the West for a long time. For many there is no rivalry there. It's just "that western team that isn't a western team anymore." No real interest in the matchup.

You sound like a young guy who missed the Norris division days. I don't mean to correct you, but they haven't been in the West for a 'long time'. In the big picture of the history of the game, it's still fairly new. The Habs rivalry is pretty non existent for those wanting a Leafs/Habs match-up. The Leafs/Wings re-match especially with Babs now helping the Leafs has a much better story to it imo.

Wings-Leafs were rivals for many many years battling out in the Norris division/Campbell conference. They are also geographic rivals which makes the game very accessible to fans in this region.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad