Leafs vs. Wings - "Centennial Classic" Outdoor Game Jan 1, 2017

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I also wonder why in the second tweet there is no mention of the Leafs 100th anniversary? If you notice only the 100th anniversary of the NHL and 50th anniversary of expansion is mentioned.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
lol. So basically the plan for our 100th season is an outdoor game, which half-a-dozen other teams also get.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Detroit again? how boring
It would have made a lot more sense if it was going to be against them in the Winter Classic, because the NHL could have marketed it as the first ever Winter Classic rematch. Although I guess we will have to settle as just a rematch of an outdoor game with a different name.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
YAWN!!!!!!

Sorry what???

This is our big celebration nod from the league??

something Chicago has done

what 6, 7 times already?

UTTER YAWN!!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think I'm going to be in the mood to pay what it's going to cost to see this game. Glad I went to Detroit for that likely once in a life time Winter Classic at the big house with the Leafs and Wings.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
YAWN!!!!!!

Sorry what???

This is our big celebration nod from the league??

something Chicago has done

what 6, 7 times already?

UTTER YAWN!!

Wouldn't our proper celebration occur during the 2017-2018 season?

I don't know...if this is all we're getting this is a massive letdown

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wonder how many we'll be able to buy and how much I'll be able to sell those for?

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
So the BMO expansion will be done by then (obviously)

What will the new capacity be?
31,000 just as it is now.

I'm fairly certain that most of the current expansion has nothing to do with adding seating capacity and more to do with adding canopies to cover three of the stands.

I also want to echo the sentiment about how it had been said that Toronto's 100th anniversary wouldn't be lost among everything else going on with the league and its place would make sense in the grand scheme of things... but all that's given as recognition is an outdoor game? Yeah, they're fun, but they're not exactly special anymore.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Chicago gets this every single year

Pitt gets it every year except like one

Out door games suck and I definitely won't be there. The original WC was great vs Det in the big house, but come on. The NHL is such a joke lol

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I also want to echo the sentiment about how it had been said that Toronto's 100th anniversary wouldn't be lost among everything else going on with the league and its place would make sense in the grand scheme of things... but all that's given as recognition is an outdoor game? Yeah, they're fun, but they're not exactly special anymore.
Given how the NHL seems to be paying more attention to the teams celebrating their 50th anniversary's because of the 1967 expansion, I think the Leafs 100th anniversary won't get the same attention compared to Montreal when they had their 100th anniversary. Los Angeles was given next years All Star Game due to their 50th anniversary, when everyone thought the Leafs would get it since Montreal had it for their 100th anniversary in 2009.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, in the end I just kind of shrug. Woo...outdoor game. So many of these every year, who really cares at this point? I haven't even bothered watching any of them the past few years.

I'll watch this one because it's a regular season Leaf game and that's about it.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
The Arenas/Leafs were founded on November 22, 1917, I believe. My guess is there will be something special on the night of Nov 22, 2017, or the Saturday closest to that. That would be not next season, but the season after that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It will be funny to see Brendan Shanahan suit up for the Detroit Red Wings in the alumni game... maybe they can make an exception and have him suit up for the Leafs...

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
was at least nice hearing Bettman comment on how persistent Shanahan and Tannenbaum were to have something special done

pretty sad they had to badger the guy to do something for the team that built the league he stole

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Watching Bettman announce the Leaf-Detroit Centenial game as a great celebration of the NHL and Leafs 100th anniversary was laughable! I think Shanny was embarrassed knowing this January 1 game is not going to have the same importance as the January 2nd game with Chicago and the Blues (since it is not up against the NFL like the January 1 game). laughable in a sad way.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Okay so I guess the 'Centennial Classic' really only does come around once a century.

I'll take it.

Still pissed about the draft though.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
It will be funny to see Brendan Shanahan suit up for the Detroit Red Wings in the alumni game... maybe they can make an exception and have him suit up for the Leafs...

Well he was just dressed as a wing when they played the Avs in the alumni game recently, so I don't see why they'd do that. It's all in good fun. Him and Sundin would be a sweet combo together though ;).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad