Leafs vs. Wings - "Centennial Classic" Outdoor Game Jan 1, 2017

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Yeah so, essentially, I have no real interest in attending the event.

Not sure why the Wings were selected when we know there is a more interest of a Toronto-Montreal or Toronto-Boston or even Toronto-Buffalo before Detroit comes into the equation.

Not really excited about this!

Have you been to a Winter Classic type event? It's cold, but good fun. Definitely something to get to if you haven't before. I think it will change your outlook on it. As for watching them on tv, that's a different story.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
I'm interested in buying Marner, Stamkos(hopefully since only he will have legit number on his back), Nylander or Rielly jersey of centennial classic. Not going to the game because it's a joke.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah so, essentially, I have no real interest in attending the event.

Not sure why the Wings were selected when we know there is a more interest of a Toronto-Montreal or Toronto-Boston or even Toronto-Buffalo before Detroit comes into the equation.

Not really excited about this!

In my view, after Montreal, Detroit is the most in demand ticket in Toronto.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I like Detroit better. That's the franchise we are trying to model after. I like the idea of starting the new century taking the baton from them, as opposed to Montreal.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Not sure why people are hung up on the names of these things.

Winter Classic is apparently the best, then you have the other ones even though they're the same thing.

And who gives a **** about the NFL and how they affect the ratings? Does not matter to me and probably many Leafs fans.

This is about the Leafs and it will be a huge event, because it's the Leafs playing outdoors in Toronto.

We should have got the draft though considering the centennial and how important the draft suddenly is to the Leafs future, I don't get that one (draft to the top team in the league? ok)

Tickets are going to be crazy expensive for sure.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Does anyone know roughly when tickets go on sale for these events? I missed out on the first outdoor game at the Big House and would love to go to this one. I'm not from Toronto (Quebec) so this would be a bit of a vacation as well, so I need to plan ahead :help:.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Many of you were too young or weren't around when Detroit was by far our greatest rival. Now that we are back in the same division again after a hiatus spanning almost two decades, I hope the younger generation of Leaf fans will get a chance to experience a similar rivalry.

To many of us, Toronto-Detroit never gets old.

McLeafy

Sep 26, 2014
Cant believe so many people arent interested in this. Well if any one of who arent interested in it are able to score tickets, ill take em off your hands :)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Cant believe so many people arent interested in this. Well if any one of who arent interested in it are able to score tickets, ill take em off your hands :)

I'll send you the link once I get them up on StubHub.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Ok I see. Well, agree to disagree, then. Personally, I like the thought of hosting a "Centennial Classic", and I even like the thought of the league making a new game just for us. Seems more special that way.

I didn't actually care about hosting anything next year. But given the news yesterday and their justification for it, I approve.

Certainly a positive way of looking at it. Perhaps I'm just looking at it backwards.

I guess I'm just a little disappointed about it being yet another winter classic game (a cool idea when it first launched that has already been milked), and a repeat with Detroit (I like Detroit, but it'd have been cool to play someone else....especially Montreal, the other team to have reached 100 years).

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Besides the name of it does anyone else think it won't get all the attention it should being that it's for the Leafs 100th anniversary. While obviously in Toronto it will get a lot of attention I wonder how much attention it will get around the NHL? With the Winter Classic going on the next day and since it's the marquee outdoor game for the NHL, will that get more attention compared to the Centennial Classic?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Besides the name of it does anyone else think it won't get all the attention it should being that it's for the Leafs 100th anniversary. While obviously in Toronto it will get a lot of attention I wonder how much attention it will get around the NHL? With the Winter Classic going on the next day and since it's the marquee outdoor game for the NHL, will that get more attention compared to the Centennial Classic?

i dunno. to me this just seems like an outdoor game. we're the bridesmaid to the actual Classic.

but whatever. at least we freaking got something.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
i dunno. to me this just seems like an outdoor game. we're the bridesmaid to the actual Classic.

but whatever. at least we freaking got something.
I'm also happy the NHL finally gave us something. However since they don't want the Winter Classic going up against the NFL on January 1, 2017, aren't they hypocrites making the Leafs - Red Wings go up against it for those living in the United States? Couldn't they could have made it during another day or does it sound better taking place on January 1, 2017?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The outdoor game novelty has worn out . I'll watch though and hope for a Leaf victory.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I gotta say, when they said they had something planned for the centennial a little while ago, the last thing I expected was yet another outdoor game.

And especially not one against Detroit again.

If anything, they really should have given us the draft since it's the only time in the entire season we're likely to actually do something significant. :P

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I gotta say, when they said they had something planned for the centennial a little while ago, the last thing I expected was yet another outdoor game.

And especially not one against Detroit again.

If anything, they really should have given us the draft since it's the only time in the entire season we're likely to actually do something significant. :P

I don't understand this love affair with the draft, who cares where that is? Yes I'll watch it on tv, I would never attend one. Has to be the most boring day ever, at least on tv you get some history some facts some video. Live you get a name called every 5 minutes, big whoop.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I don't understand this love affair with the draft, who cares where that is? Yes I'll watch it on tv, I would never attend one. Has to be the most boring day ever, at least on tv you get some history some facts some video. Live you get a name called every 5 minutes, big whoop.

I wouldn't go live, ever.

I just mean it'll be the most important event, so that would be the one to give the Leafs...half-jokingly. :laugh:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I wouldn't go live, ever.

I just mean it'll be the most important event, so that would be the one to give the Leafs...half-jokingly. :laugh:

The draft has now replaced trade deadline and free agency as the most exciting day in hockey IMO. Obviously not counting actual games of course.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Many of you were too young or weren't around when Detroit was by far our greatest rival. Now that we are back in the same division again after a hiatus spanning almost two decades, I hope the younger generation of Leaf fans will get a chance to experience a similar rivalry.

To many of us, Toronto-Detroit never gets old.

Agreed. Fans from the Norris division era will always love this rivalry.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Well, all you 'too cool for school' Leafers that are thumbing their noses at the Centennial Classic I'll gladly take your ticket. I'm pumped for the sight lines that will be at a venue like BMO Field. This will be a great experience. Not to mention an exciting Leaf team on display (finally).

I also am confused by the disliking of Detroit as the opponent. I was at the Big House, and I'm so glad there will be a re-match of these two teams. Always felt Wings to be more a rival from Norris Division days (dating myself).

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well, all you 'too cool for school' Leafers that are thumbing their noses at the Centennial Classic I'll gladly take your ticket. I'm pumped for the sight lines that will be at a venue like BMO Field. This will be a great experience. Not to mention an exciting Leaf team on display (finally).

I also am confused by the disliking of Detroit as the opponent. I was at the Big House, and I'm so glad there will be a re-match of these two teams. Always felt Wings to be more a rival from Norris Division days (dating myself).
Detroit has been in the West for a long time. For many there is no rivalry there. It's just "that western team that isn't a western team anymore." No real interest in the matchup.

And I agree with a previous post....if I get some tickets will gladly send people the link to the stub hub for them :).

In the end it's the league throwing the bare minimum. There are plenty of outdoor games every year, nothing crazy to say about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad