Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Montreal vs Ottawa Rookie Tournament Thread

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I've only watched the 3rd, but no one has looked good. Dermott has looked bad this period.

Based on what? That one pinch on the 4 on 4 that led to the 2 on 1?

Grundstrom has looked very good to me. He's generated a number of scoring chances off of nothing. Bracco has had his moments secondary to his skating/creativity. Everyone else doesn't really look like they belong.

Liljegren has looked very good.

The rest of the forwards on our team don't look like they have NHL futures. That includes Korostlev, Boby, Dzierks.

Nielsen has looked bad. Fed some scoring chances in the slot and he can't control the puck for a shot. Hasn't generated much on offense/PP on the 2nd unit......slow defensively.

Hogburn has made some great saves and KK hasn't- that first goal on him was terrible...he was so deep in the net and just gave up on tracking the puck.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
the ottawa player fell and got a penalty?

what happened? there was no one around him

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Based on what? That one pinch on the 4 on 4 that led to the 2 on 1?

Grundstrom has looked very good to me. He's generated a number of scoring chances off of nothing. Bracco has had his moments secondary to his skating/creativity. Everyone else doesn't really look like they belong.

Liljegren has looked very good.

The rest of the forwards on our team don't look like they have NHL futures.

Nielsen has looked bad. Fed some scoring chances in the slot and he can't control the puck for a shot. Hasn't generated much on offense/PP on the 2nd unit......slow defensively.

Hogburn has made some great saves and KK hasn't- that first goal on him was terrible...he was so deep in the net and just gave up on tracking the puck.
Dzierkals has had a good game

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A trade is a huge possibility.
Really it comes down to if the leafs want Liljegren here or in Europe.
I just think if its here they would rather sit an ahl vet if needed, that could be Holl or valiev. I just think they will make space for Tim if they relly want him to play here.

Sure they could, but I would bet Europe or a trade is more likely than seeing one of them sit.

LoVerde and Holl are going to be key pieces to help develop the LD we have down there. Valiev could sit, but there is still a lot of potential there that I doubt they want to see him sit.

Remember Nylander was sent back to Europe for half of his D+1 year, and he's a forward who had a spot on the Marlies more than Liljegren now. Forwards can translate a lot easier than defensemen, especially ones who need to work on their play in their own end. On top of that, Liljegren needs to get used to this ice and will not get top 4 minutes, because Holl/LoVerde with their respective young defensive partners are going to get a ton of time themselves. He may play on a crap team (not unlike Nylander when he was sent back), but he's going to be the #1 on that crap team... And the Leafs could very well bring him over at Christmas like they did with Nylander after maybe a trade or injuries start to set in.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What an embarrassment the Liljegren thread on the prospects page has become after 1 rookie tournament game.

Good to see he's started out strong in this second game. I was beginning to believe that he's a bust!

I thought it was embarrassing before the tournament started ;)

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
He was our best forward other than Grundstrom on Friday, and has been our third or fourth tonight.

He's been really good. I'm not sure what you've been watching

We'll agree to disagree. I'd probably put Bracco as a top 5 forward this tournament, but not top 2...

I'm simply looking for skills that could translate to the NHL. I've said before Bracco has good hands and vision when he has space... he doesn't' seem to do much 5v5, and I'm not convinced he has the skating(edit:Speed), motor/drive and defensive IQ to be an NHLer...

As a Leafs fan, I wish the best for all our prospects... so I'm hoping he proves me wrong.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
We'll agree to disagree. I'd probably put Bracco as a top 5 forward this tournament, but not top 2...

I'm simply looking for skills that could translate to the NHL. I've said before Bracco has good hands and vision when he has space... he doesn't' seem to do much 5v5, and I'm not convinced he has the skating, motor/drive and defensive IQ to be an NHLer...

As a Leafs fan, I wish the best for all our prospects... so I'm hoping he proves me wrong.

You just described JVR..

I could at least understand if you have a little person bias, but that's not even what this is.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Sure they could, but I would bet Europe or a trade is more likely than seeing one of them sit.

LoVerde and Holl are going to be key pieces to help develop the LD we have down there. Valiev could sit, but there is still a lot of potential there that I doubt they want to see him sit.

Remember Nylander was sent back to Europe for half of his D+1 year, and he's a forward who had a spot on the Marlies more than Liljegren now. Forwards can translate a lot easier than defensemen, especially ones who need to work on their play in their own end. On top of that, Liljegren needs to get used to this ice and will not get top 4 minutes, because Holl/LoVerde with their respective young defensive partners are going to get a ton of time themselves. He may play on a crap team (not unlike Nylander when he was sent back), but he's going to be the #1 on that crap team... And the Leafs could very well bring him over at Christmas like they did with Nylander after maybe a trade or injuries start to set in.

If the leafs prioritize Liljegren as the priority would he not then get the top 4 minutes with LoVerde?
Also, wouldn't the bolded then not be an argument to keep him here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad