Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Montreal vs Ottawa Rookie Tournament Thread

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I like Grundstrom, but his skill level I think leaves a lot of question marks marks about what kind of NHLer he'll be (assuming he gets there).

Folks are also being a bit too harsh on Bracco. He's a prospect who needs more cooking time, which is why most guys take several years to make the NHL. His skill level can't be denied.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I like Grundstrom, but his skill level I think leaves a lot of whestion marks marks about what kind of NHLer he'll be (assuming he gets there).

Folks are also being a bit too harsh on Bracco. He's a prospect who needs more cooking time, which is why most guys take several years to make the NHL. His skill level can't be denied.

Yup Bracco needs time. He is better than useless players like Nolan Vesey. Bracco had a solid 2 games and it showed he has improved a good amount. The problem is Leafs fans have no patience so by their illogical standards, he is already a failure. They are the wrong people to ask about players analysis.

Interesting how the small players are outplaying the big players. Maybe size doesnt matter after all.

Lilly also had a very good game.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Yup Bracco needs time. He is better than useless players like Nolan Vesey. Bracco had a solid 2 games and it showed he has improved a good amount. The problem is Leafs fans have no patience so by their illogical standards, he is already a failure. They are the wrong people to ask about players analysis.

Interesting how the small players are outplaying the big players. Maybe size doesnt matter after all.

Lilly also had a very good game.

Literally nobody has ever said this.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I like Grundstrom, but his skill level I think leaves a lot of whestion marks marks about what kind of NHLer he'll be (assuming he gets there).

Not too mention, overhyping guys like Vesey, and others.
Nice comments by Babcock on Bracco. Coach opinion>fans opinion

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Really, the Leafs had the talent to win both games. Just so sloppy. I guess that's what happens when the bulk of your team are junior aged players and the other teams are not.

We essentially went up against the Sens' AHL team minus a bunch of mid-20's AHL vets who put up 25-35 points a year on average and the older NHL prospects like Nick Paul who may crack a bottom 6 some day. The Habs' team was a little bit younger, and have some decent prospects, but both of their pools are among the worst in the league.

Wait until their teams see what Keefe has to work with this year... Outside of Dermott, there is a chance that none of the guys who played in this tournament will be in the Marlies top 6, top 4 or starting goalie positions next year. Either because they are not old enough and will be heading back to the CHL or elsewhere, or because the Marlies are that good.

Good luck to Laval and Belleville, because I doubt they'll be picking up many W's if the Marlies actually play even half decently next year.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You could really see that it was just a bunch of kids in that third period. Whole team got stressed out and structure started to fall apart.

Some impressions:
- I've been harsh on Gordeev, but I liked his mobility, reach, and ability to use his skating to rush the puck.
- Much better game from Lilygrin. He's very similar to Gardiner in his breakout game at this point. A lot of brilliant stuff, but also a tendency to force plays. Looked great on the PP.
- Dermott was head and shoulders above any other player for 40 minutes. Fell victim to the same thing as everybody else in the third.
- Nielsen underwhelmed in both games. On the good side, it's quite obvious how it's skating that holds him back. If he can improve on it enough over the coming years, he could be an impact player.
- Didn't really like Rasanen in any way during these games.
- Goaltending hasn't been a strong point. Scott had a clean sheet, but was making really awkward saves.
- Expected more from Timashov. Don't see much progression there.
- I'm surprised by the criticism against Bracco. I saw a player that read the flow of the game well, and made a lot of nifty plays with the puck to solve tough situations.
- Grundstrom looked as expected. Should be knocking on the door for a complementary role on a scoring line.
- Dzierkals is another who is not projecting well. Thought he had upside as a agitator with skill, but right now he looks more like a possible energy player who can participate.
- MacGregor is very interesting. Really smart, really good skater, functional skill. Felt like he was always one step ahead of the play, which is something I think translates very well.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
You could really see that it was just a bunch of kids in that third period. Whole team got stressed out and structure started to fall apart.

Some impressions:
- I've been harsh on Gordeev, but I liked his mobility, reach, and ability to use his skating to rush the puck.
- Much better game from Lilygrin. He's very similar to Gardiner in his breakout game at this point. A lot of brilliant stuff, but also a tendency to force plays. Looked great on the PP.
- Dermott was head and shoulders above any other player for 40 minutes. Fell victim to the same thing as everybody else in the third.
- Nielsen underwhelmed in both games. On the good side, it's quite obvious how it's skating that holds him back. If he can improve on it enough over the coming years, he could be an impact player.
- Goaltending hasn't been a strong point. Scott had a clean sheet, but was making really awkward saves.
- I'm surprised by the criticism against Bracco. I saw a player that read the flow of the game well, and made a lot of nifty plays with the puck to solve tough situations.
- Grundstrom looked as expected. Should be knocking on the door for a complementary role on a scoring line.
- Dzierkals is another who is not projecting well. Thought he had upside as a agitator with skill, but right now he looks more like a possible energy player who can participate.
- MacGregor is very interesting. Really smart, really good skater, functional skill. Felt like he was always one step ahead of the play, which is something I think translates very well.

I think this is a very fair and thorough synopsis.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bracco's insanely skilled offensively. The "he's only good on the powerplay" is BS, and has no standing. There's nothing that backs it up. He needs work defensively. Luckily, Keefe has done a great job of getting guys focused on defense.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Didn't get to see the games and can't find the game sheets. Anyone have a summary of Leafs scoring over the two games?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Some impressions:

Haven't you heard it's too soon to make playing style comparisons especially to players some people don't like.:sarcasm:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Some impressions:

Good assessment. Neilsen is a player with bad feet and as such we should trade him after this year if he puts up a decent amount of points. Grundstrom is a hard to play against player who Babcock will love. He is a keeper.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Didn't get to watch any of the games this weekend but I'm just glad to see Bob McGill is doing well and called the games after his 2 strokes this summer. Especially after his scary tweet after them.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Some impressions:

Nailed it as usual Nith. Timashov has a massive opportunity to be one of the next tier of players reading for call-up but there's a maturity missing from his game I expected to see by this point. Hoping for a breakout year with the Marlies.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I could see bobcat really liking gordeev's game.

I think gordeev had the most mobility of all the oversized D men we had in camp ..he just needs real good coaching ,I think in a few years he ll play in the AHL at least , I didn't realize he could skate as well as he does .or maybe its his time ,I gotta admit he deserves an invite to main camp .

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Some impressions:

Only got to see about 8 minutes of the 1st. and all of the 3rd. and overtime.

Liljegren looked okay, made some nice plays that others fumbled. Carrying the puck out of the zone looked like a strength, coming back on the backcheck wasn't. Playing the 2 on 1 wasn't great either, but the Sens did make a pretty good play.

Senators owned them in the 3rd., so unfortunately can't say anyone really looked impressive. Bracco must have been much better when I wasn't watching. Dermott looked okay, but he didn't look like he was a step above more that he wasn't as inept.

Would have liked to have seen Borgman and too bad about Brooks.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Love Bracco on the PP. Don't love him so much at other times. That's why there's an AHL. The truth is that no forward on this Leafs' rookie team was remotely close in offensive talent. My ceiling for him is something like Brad Boyes in his prime.

Someone else called Grundstrom "basic". Sounds like a dismissal but it might not be far off the truth. He takes straight lines and doesn't avoid contact. He seems solid and hard to knock off his skates. I'm wishing for at least a player like Nik Kumelin became. There appears to be a little bit of Gary Roberts in him too.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If memory serves me, Dermott didn't look very good at all in his first rookie tournament and his skating didn't stand out. Now look. Even the most critical of Liljegren recognized that his skating was outstanding at this tournament. Liljegren's mistakes shouldn't be too scary. If in two years they are still this frequent then I'll start to wonder about his progression.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00