Series Talk: Leafs vs Lightning Pre-Playoff Thread

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Our last game against Tampa, do we dress a “full”lineup or fill it with Marlies and depth players. Do you play Samsonov or Murray.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Our last game against Tampa, do we dress a “full”lineup or fill it with Marlies and depth players. Do you play Samsonov or Murray.
As a coach, you probably want to play your depth players and avoid tioping your hand. As players, you have prde and enough animosity to want to play against them even before the series. T.B will try to take the opporunity to get in Leafs heads before the series, their coach is greasy that way. Maybe part of the reason.Simmonds has been in of late. He probably gets in that game just as a reminder that he can still be a menace if he is forced into the series.

Reactions: banks

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
As a coach, you probably want to play your depth players and avoid tioping your hand. As players, you have prde and enough animosity to want to play against them even before the series. T.B will try to take the opporunity to get in Leafs heads before the series, their coach is greasy that way. Maybe part of the reason.Simmonds has been in of late. He probably gets in that game just as a reminder that he can still be a menace if he is forced into the series.
With a potential first round matchup with Pittsburgh, the Bruins wanted to send them a message last night. Same could be true for Leafs and Tampa but I think both teams won't show their cards until game #1. Everybody who is anybody should sit for the Leafs.

Reactions: CincoHolio

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I think that we have the talent to win round one. Our biggest threat is being outcoached. Again.
According to most, it's all on the players now. GM, coaching, scouting, management have done their jobs. It's on the players.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I wish I had the confidence to go Leafs in 5 or 6

I went leafs in 7.

I am 60% confident we win this series

Better forwards, better/equal defense, and goaltending this year have been solid, and we have some playoff-style warriors along with Tampa being very reliant on Kuch + Point this year.

I'd say last year the series going into game 1 was 55-45 Tampa

This year I will say it is 60-40 Toronto

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I ain't playing this game this post season. Every post season I choose and Leafs find a way to lose in 7. This time I shall not choose and here is hoping for a different result

:crossfing

So it was you!!!

!
I think that we have the talent to win round one. Our biggest threat is being outcoached. Again.

The problem is that Keefe whispering to his keepers not to let in soft backbreaking goals in big games doesn't appear to be working....but does appear to work for the other coaches as they get .940+ save%

Maybe the sub .890 in elimination games goes away with these new keepers.

The Leafs new goalies will ultimately decide the Leafs success IMO.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Wow pt % wise Tampa is 12th in the league this year

They would be 6th in 7th in the Western Conference right now.

This is our 2nd or 3rd best matchup in round 1 of the Matthews Era.

1. 2021 Habs (extreme favorite)
2. 2023 Tampa/2020 CBJ (both series we are/were heavy favorites)
3. 2020/CBJ/2023 Tampa (both series we are/were heavy favorites)
4. 2022 Tampa (slight underdog)
5. 2019 Boston (heavy underdog)
6. 2018 Boston (Extreme underdog)
7. 2017 Caps (expectations were to get swept)

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Wow pt % wise Tampa is 12th in the league this year

They would be 6th in 7th in the Western Conference right now.

This is our 2nd or 3rd best matchup in round 1 of the Matthews Era.

1. 2021 Habs (extreme favorite)
2. 2023 Tampa/2020 CBJ (both series we are/were heavy favorites)
3. 2020/CBJ/2023 Tampa (both series we are/were heavy favorites)
4. 2022 Tampa (slight underdog)
5. 2019 Boston (heavy underdog)
6. 2018 Boston (Extreme underdog)
7. 2017 Caps (expectations were to get swept)

Considering Tampas playoff pedigree, this season is a coin flip. Almost everyone has it a 6-7 game series either way.

The Columbus series was also considered a coin flip (I believe we were tied for points that season)

Only against the Habs have we been a legit favorite.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Considering Tampas playoff pedigree, this season is a coin flip. Almost everyone has it a 6-7 game series either way.

The Columbus series was also considered a coin flip (I believe we were tied for points that season)

Only against the Habs have we been a legit favorite.
That pedigree will eventually wear off. Red Wings of 06-10 had it go away, Pens for 2015-2018 had it go away

Tampa this year has been quite poor in the reg season. They look beatable and don't have a major deadline add who is producing well or a superstar who will return from injury

Leafs in 6/7 is a prediction as Toronto has struggled to close the series off before but leafs winning in 5 shouldn't be out of the question.

Toronto this year is Boston in 2019 to Tampa coming into the series. We are the better team and can end their run at the top of the East.

So it was you!!!

!

The problem is that Keefe whispering to his keepers not to let in soft backbreaking goals in big games doesn't appear to be working....but does appear to work for the other coaches as they get .940+ save%

Maybe the sub .890 in elimination games goes away with these new keepers.

The Leafs new goalies will ultimately decide the Leafs success IMO.
Keefe should whisper to his power play coach instead of the goalies

Have we scored a power-play goal in game 7(5 vs CBJ)?

Special teams, Keefe needs to get right. Our PK shits the bed to often (2019 Boston, 2022 Tampa) and the PP goes from top 3-5 in the league to struggling

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
That pedigree will eventually wear off. Red Wings of 06-10 had it go away, Pens for 2015-2018 had it go away

Tampa this year has been quite poor in the reg season. They look beatable and don't have a major deadline add who is producing well or a superstar who will return from injury

Leafs in 6/7 is a prediction as Toronto has struggled to close the series off before but leafs winning in 5 shouldn't be out of the question.

Toronto this year is Boston in 2019 to Tampa coming into the series. We are the better team and can end their run at the top of the East.

Vasy worries me.

He's one of the greatest clutch goalies in big playoff games in history.

I'm still picking the Leafs in 7 this year but it's a coin flip IMO.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Final-Form.jpg

Just remember boys, we still get have a very rested, very motivated, natural born leader waiting to come back any day now.

O'Rielly is a true difference maker. An impact player and someone who will turn tides in battle for us this post-season.

The guys are no longer boys, they are men now. They have failed enough times to finally lay it all on the line in the heat of the moment.

I see us striking first, taking first blood and learning our lesson of never taking your foot off the gas.

This is the year. Go Leafs Go.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Vasy worries me.

He's one of the greatest clutch goalies in big playoff games in history.

I'm still picking the Leafs in 7 this year but it's a coin flip IMO.
Fair

We had Vas figured out for the most part last year, he just got hot game 7 and we couldn't finish on the PP.

Tampa loss of McD will hurt him as the bolts defense is suspect and he'll have more dangerous shots more often this year.

Hopefully, we go a stacked 2nd line rather than force one of our great guys on the third line for "depth"

Jarnkrok/Bunts - Matthews - Marner
JT - RoR - Nylander

That needs to be the top 6

Bottom 6 Keefe can mix and match with Kampf, Acciari, Jarnkrok/Bunts, ZAR, Kerfoot, Laff, and maybe Knies if Keefe feels very confident about his game (might be a risk playing him in the playoffs but he should be better than ZAR at minimum offensively).

Reactions: Zybalto

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Keefe should whisper to his power play coach instead of the goalies

Have we scored a power-play goal in game 7(5 vs CBJ)?

Special teams, Keefe needs to get right. Our PK shits the bed to often (2019 Boston, 2022 Tampa) and the PP goes from top 3-5 in the league to struggling

Columbus team save % from that year remains the highest in playoff history against the Leafs and Bolts of all teams. The Leafs skated them into the ground but we got short side Andersen in the big game remember?......while Korpisalo is doing circus saves standing in his head. Not saying we didn't blow chances but you could certainly feel the main difference there.

I just want to see a Belfouresque performance for once. If lose, we lose but the soft goals just deflate the hell out of me (can you imagine how the team feels on the ice).

Fair

We had Vas figured out for the most part last year, he just got hot game 7 and we couldn't finish on the PP.

Tampa loss of McD will hurt him as the bolts defense is suspect and he'll have more dangerous shots more often this year.

Hopefully, we go a stacked 2nd line rather than force one of our great guys on the third line for "depth"

Jarnkrok/Bunts - Matthews - Marner
JT - RoR - Nylander

That needs to be the top 6

Bottom 6 Keefe can mix and match with Kampf, Acciari, Jarnkrok/Bunts, ZAR, Kerfoot, Laff, and maybe Knies if Keefe feels very confident about his game (might be a risk playing him in the playoffs but he should be better than ZAR at minimum offensively).

Yea, we've never had this kind of solid depth since these runs began. Gonna help both in case of injury, which has burned us bad, and also to play different styles if the series takes that turn.

Reactions: hamzarocks

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Leafs in 6. But more importantly it would be nice to read these threads without the constant whining about diving and refs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad