Pre-Game Talk: Leafs VS Islanders|7pm EST|TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Dude....we are so going for the tank! Doesn't matter we are just a point away from the wild card spot or few points away from the playoff picture.

Plus the Isles are playing today, so tomorrow will be a back to back and the 3rd game in 4 nights for the New York Islanders. Pretty sure Poulin will get the start for them, and he's been struggling lately. Hopefully the Leafs have a strong bounce back game here

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Plus the Isles are playing today, so tomorrow will be a back to back and the 3rd game in 4 nights for the New York Islanders. Pretty sure Poulin will get the start for them, and he's been struggling lately. Hopefully the Leafs have a strong bounce back game here

Rangers played the night before they played the Leafs on Saturday.

When it comes to the Leafs, that`s barely something to rely upon to think we might win.

I think the fact that we got completely dominated in our own barn should be incentive enough to dominate this game. Or the next 10 games to be perfectly honest.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

When it comes to the Leafs, that`s barely something to rely upon to think we might win.

I think the fact that we got completely dominated in our own barn should be incentive enough to dominate this game. Or the next 10 games to be perfectly honest.

We haven't dominated 1.5 games in a row. Odds are we are not dominating the next 4 games.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
something that sort of went under the radar - the Leafs had a closed meeting after the game. hope that did something.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

True. Leafs aren't good defensively, but I expected them to have one of the better offences in the league. The core of this offence has been way too inconsistent (Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Lupul..)

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
True. Leafs aren't good defensively, but I expected them to have one of the better offences in the league. The core of this offence has been way too inconsistent (Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Lupul..)

To be good at offense you have to have the puck. The opposite of that is chasing the puck (in your own end for 70% of the game for the leafs). Of course there is no offense. :laugh:

They can't even rush the puck anymore the other 25% of the time.

Last edited:

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
David Alter: Maple Leafs Jerry D’Amigo took David Clarkson’s spot on their 3rd line. Clarkson briefly tested out his injured foot. Chris Johnston: Clarkson will have a CT Scan on the bone in his left foot.

Hope JD shines.

Bluejaysfan*

something that sort of went under the radar - the Leafs had a closed meeting after the game. hope that did something.

I believe you, but where did you find this out? Curious to find out more details regarding the issue. :)

Bluejaysfan*

I have this wierd feeling that Gleason - Phaneuf will shine as a pairing Tuesday

I have that same feeling too. Now only if it came to fruition. That would be amazing going forward, to have Gleason return to how he can play.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
What its likely going to boil down to is 5 teams fighting for 2 wild card spots. If the Leafs can't make these games count they might find themselves on the outside looking in sooner than later.

thunderhawk905*

Nabokov placed on IR, so it looks like Poulin again tomorrow night.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I believe you, but where did you find this out? Curious to find out more details regarding the issue. :)

it was on the Leafs post game show (the Fan590). I get the podcast so I can listen to it at work. they didn't specify if it was player only or just the entire team, but this was the first I've ever heard of ANY kind of closed door meeting, so, good.

i'm glad the scoreboard isn't going in our favour - I'm hoping the pressure on the team's spot makes them play harder.

just checking the standings under the wild card: if the Leafs lose and Carolina wins... either Washington/Carolina gets the 2nd WC tomorrow night.

Bluejaysfan*

it was on the Leafs post game show (the Fan590). I get the podcast so I can listen to it at work. they didn't specify if it was player only or just the entire team, but this was the first I've ever heard of ANY kind of closed door meeting, so, good.

i'm glad the scoreboard isn't going in our favour - I'm hoping the pressure on the team's spot makes them play harder.

just checking the standings under the wild card: if the Leafs lose and Carolina wins... either Washington/Carolina gets the 2nd WC tomorrow night.

As depressing as it sounds, I hope we can trade off our UFAs for picks and prospects at the deadline just to stock the cupboard. I remember when Burke was saying something after the trade deadline one year where essentially...he could have had 3 first round picks if he traded away all his UFAs or something. Yes I am speaking in hindsight but considering that guys like Grabo were just bought out when we could have had a 1st round pick for them kinda makes me wish the Leafs would not make the same mistake twice and trade off their UFAs for the best possible offer. Just my opinion though.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

We have Carolina/Washington back to back games this Thursday/Friday

Huge games. Hopefully Toronto shows up

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 27m
Carlyle is considering juggling his defence pairings. Look at practice today saw Gleason-Phaneuf, Gardiner-Rielly, Fraser-Franson.
Daviid Alter ‏@DavidAlter590 41m
No update yet on Carl Gunnarsson's MRI. Per Carlyle.
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 43m
Carlyle says Clarkson will go for a CT scan on injured left foot.
The top pair is a big step up for Gleason at this moment. He was a bottom pair defenseman for Carolina this season and was getting scratched due to his poor performances.
I had asked for Gardiner-Rielly awhile ago and it looks like Carlyle has finally listened. :laugh: Should be an interesting experiment. When they did pair together this year, they had good results. But I don't think they ever paired for a long stretch of time within a game. Just here and there a bit each game.
Fraser-Franson were a great pairing last season. If Mark Fraser is healthy, this could be great.
Gunnarsson's injury is a big blow to the team. Clarkson too. He's a great 3rd line checker. Can provide some size, grit and two-way play on the 2nd line.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
If you want to make decision on Kadri you have to give him every opportunity to succeed.
JVR...Kadri...Lupul

Recall Smithson for the 4th line.
Let's see what Holland can do on the wing. He has some size, can snipe and play 2 way.
Maybe a line of Holland...Bozak...Kessel.
Checking line of Raymond...McClement...Kulemin.
That would be interesting. Holland - Bozak - Kessel. If Holland can replicate JVR's work around the net, it could work. I think Kadri would blossom with some like JVR. He is a strong two-way player and maintain possession well in the offensive zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad