Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Chicago (Prospect game) Sat sept 13 7 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
But hes not playing centre... Good start to him being the Leafs future #1 centre.

If he makes the team this year, it will be as a winger, so no surprise.

If he plays on the Marlies this season, he will likely play Center

Pholus

May 23, 2014
But hes not playing centre... Good start to him being the Leafs future #1 centre.

Oh no! For 1 game in a prospects tournament he's going to play wing? Guess he'll never make it as a centerman in any half-decent league :sarcasm:

Jul 10, 2003
KW

If he goes back to Sweden, he will more likely play wing as well.

I'd prefer to keep him on the Marlies, and being groomed as a centre is a big part of the reason why.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
If he goes back to Sweden, he will more likely play wing as well..

If he ends up going back to Sweden, I would think the Leafs would like to try to find him a team where he could play as a center, even if that means going to the Allsvenskan (2nd division) instead of SHL.

bobbyt911

I can't watch any games till I get HS on the 19th so will there be vids posted in this thread of cool plays?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
If he ends up going back to Sweden, I would think the Leafs would like to try to find him a team where he could play as a center, even if that means going to the Allsvenskan (2nd division) instead of SHL.

Its not the Leafs choice as to what team he plays with lol... Are the Leafs also going to tell the team's coach that he should have 1st line minutes and 1st line PP time?

bobbyt911

Its not the Leafs choice as to what team he plays with lol... Are the Leafs also going to tell the team's coach that he should have 1st line minutes and 1st line PP time?

You would be amazed how much influence NHL clubs have regarding their drafted players, especially in the CHL. You see it all the time where a team has a younger player who is awesome but they have to give the drafted payer the ice time/playing situations.
I actually asked a CHL exec once why and he said it is a developmental league 1st. Basically gotta keep the NHL teams happy to ensure that the CHL remains the #1 jr development route.

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007

I just watched an interview with Nylander where the actual words "it will be up to the leafs as to where I'll be playing next year" came out of his mouth so uh yeah...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Actually it is Leafs choice as Nylander has signed a pro contract with the team so he is now officially their property and they decide what they feel is best for his development.

If Nylander wanted control he wouldn't have signed his ELC.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
You would be amazed how much influence NHL clubs have regarding their drafted players, especially in the CHL. You see it all the time where a team has a younger player who is awesome but they have to give the drafted payer the ice time/playing situations.
I actually asked a CHL exec once why and he said it is a developmental league 1st. Basically gotta keep the NHL teams happy to ensure that the CHL remains the #1 jr development route.

Nylander won't be going to the CHL though, he's come out and said as much. If he's in the AHL, the Leafs will have a good amount control over how he's used, and how much he plays. If he's in the SHL, we'll have a very, very small amount of input into how his SHL team uses him; the SHL is not a developmental league, it's competing with the NHL. I think both scenarios have their merits.

I'm excited for the game tonight, hopefully there will be a stream of some sort. Does anyone have any info on jersey numbers for the tourney?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Actually it is Leafs choice as Nylander has signed a pro contract with the team so he is now officially their property and they decide what they feel is best for his development.

If Nylander wanted control he wouldn't have signed his ELC.

If he doesn't make the Leafs, and he says he wants to go play in the SHL, you really think the Leafs are going to tell him no? Sure they'll try to convince him to stay but I'm sure they'll let him do whatever he pleases.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

He's as much a center as Kessel was when he was drafted.... I posted this in the Gauthier thread that IMO it would be ideal to have Gauthier center Nylander down on the farm. Nylander would help bring out the offensive game of Gauthier who has everything else down to an art really as a center.... Nylander IMO is best served on the wing and become the Leafs version of P. Kane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad