Series Talk: Leafs vs. Bruins Round 1 PGDT Part 3 (No Outside Series Talk Here)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i find it really interesting that so many people are like. "That Matthews goal 100 percent should not have counted.." - which fine, if you wanna argue goaltender interference, but considering no one knows what it means game to game, whatever - but no one is saying "but the Bruins goal shouldn't have counted either." because that is offside as I've ever seen it.

like. if you're gonna be calling a spade - then call both spades.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
i find it really interesting that so many people are like. "That Matthews goal 100 percent should not have counted.." - which fine, if you wanna argue goaltender interference, but considering no one knows what it means game to game, whatever - but no one is saying "but the Bruins goal shouldn't have counted either." because that is offside as I've ever seen it.

Doesn't work like that Daisy, when the Leafs are playing there are no neutral bystanders

I don't think either goal should have counted according to the rules as written so the way I see it those goals ruled each other out and we were dominating that game whilst getting hammered with one third the PP opportunities

We deserved to win that game but good luck getting any non Leaf fan to admit that uncomfortable truth

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Does anyone else think if Toronto scores the first goal and has a lead going into the 3rd period that both will ensure they win the series tomorrow?

Hopefully the Leafs score first (and Boston not at all ;)). The lead going into the 3rd should mean even more than scoring first, but it's still not a guarantee. The best bet is to play well defensively. Having to score a handful of goals or more is going to be a tougher game to win. Boston has used up all of the losses afforded to them, so they'll be motivated. Considering the opponent and Game 7 history, Toronto should be just as motivated IMO.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Doesn't work like that Daisy, when the Leafs are playing there are no neutral bystanders

I don't think either goal should have counted according to the rules as written so the way I see it those goals ruled each other out and we were dominating that game whilst getting hammered with one third the PP opportunities

We deserved to win that game but good luck getting any non Leaf fan to admit that uncomfortable truth

oh for sure. but i mean even last night i was like if you take away the matthews goal, i am extremely positive that the Kapanen goal still happens. (and ironically enough. I don't think the Krecji goal happens, because i truly think they called it good because they felt that the Matthews one was wrong. Oh hockey. hahah).

Reactions: Kiwi

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Good point. There's grey area on the Hyman interference...but offside is either true or false. And that was a clear true.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Made a Gif of the Offside Goal. Clearly shows the puck doesn't enter the zone before Marchand enters, and this is offside. (Puck needs to full cross the blueline to be considered in the zone, just like it needs to fully leave the zone to considered out of the zone)

giphy.gif

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Made a Gif of the Offside Goal. Clearly shows the puck doesn't enter the zone before Marchand enters, and this is offside. (Puck needs to full cross the blueline to be considered in the zone, just like it needs to fully leave the zone to considered out of the zone)

giphy.gif

Are you considering Marchand "entering" after his left foot fully crosses the line?

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
anyone else notice Gauthier has been harder to knock off the puck since Krejci knocked him down.

I think the issue was "bad form". He never braced for hits or flexed his core when contact was coming therefore it was easy to knock him down.

I noticed after the Krejci "hit" he's playing smarter on contact. Using his big frame to absorb it now instead of going against physics.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Are you considering Marchand "entering" after his left foot fully crosses the line?

As soon as his left foot leaves the ice essentially. It's not until after that when the puck finally enters the zone.

It's very close, but offside. My guess is they couldn't tell 100% so they just left the call as is.

The puck essentially enters the zone at the same time as the Bruins closest to the puck carrier, and Marchand is like a full stride ahead.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I said it last night and I will say it again. Why did TSN and Sportsnet did not mention how that Bruins goal was offside? What if the score was still 1-0 and because of that the game goes to overtime and Toronto loses. That would be more controversial than the Matthews goal.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

giphy.gif
Are you going to post this on the series thread over on the Stanley Cup Playoffs boards and at poll on there a Boston fan created about Matthews goal?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I said it last night and I will say it again. Why did TSN and Sportsnet did not mention how that Bruins goal was offside? What if the score was still 1-0 and because of that the game goes to overtime and Toronto loses. That would be more controversial than the Matthews goal.

again. I think if the Matthews goal doesn't happen, the Krejci goal doesn't.

you'll probably hear it from
Landsberg/Carlo, Andi, and Hayes because they are fans and they give zero poops.
Andi will hedge a bit because she's still like really active in media land outside the radio, but the others will pretty much call both spades.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Are you going to post this on the series thread over on the Stanley Cup Playoffs boards and at poll on there a Boston fan created about Matthews goal?

That thread was closed.

Also, it was a Leaf fan who started that thread.

I could post it in the series discussion, but I don't see the point. We won. Let the discussion move on.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That thread was closed.

Also, it was a Leaf fan who started that thread.

I could post it in the series discussion, but I don't see the point. We won. Let the discussion move on.
I was the one who created the poll about the offside that was closed, lol.

I was referring to the goalie interference poll question, because others are bringing up the offside goal on there as well.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
again. I think if the Matthews goal doesn't happen, the Krejci goal doesn't.

you'll probably hear it from
Landsberg/Carlo, Andi, and Hayes because they are fans and they give zero poops.
Andi will hedge a bit because she's still like really active in media land outside the radio, but the others will pretty much call both spades.
I'm looking forward to OverDrive on Monday to hear what Hayes will say and if he will ask O'Neil why they never brought up the offside goal?

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017

it was goalie interference on the leafs goal. and it was offside on the boston goal.
the refs had to allow boston's goal to makeup for the goalie interference.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I was the one who created the poll about the offside that was closed, lol.

I was referring to the goalie interference poll question, because others are bringing up the offside goal on there as well.

Oh, well still no.

I’d rather the discussion move on from Game 5 now. Even Rask said it wasn’t enough contact to warrant a no goal call and all he told the ref was he felt contact.

If that doesn’t change people’s minds, then the actual goalie saying it wasn’t enough interference, then nothing will

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
it was goalie interference on the leafs goal. and it was offside on the boston goal.
the refs had to allow boston's goal to makeup for the goalie interference.
If that's true I hope those refs don't work anymore games when the 2nd round starts. It's one thing when they give even up penalties during the regular season, but I never heard of even up calls on video reviews and the evidence points to Boston's goal being offside. In my opinion that rule is black and white based on the criteria and goalie interference calls are always going to be subjective.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I am seeing a lot of comments from fans and analysts alike saying this has been a boring series, not as fast as exciting as other series. "Whoever moves on will be quickly dispatched by Columbus". Boston fans are frustrated that their team isn't dictating style play, not establishing a forecheck, making like difficult for the Leafs D. There's bad bounces and bad officiating everywhere. How is this possible, Boston is beating themselves, the Leafs are a weak defensive team right?

I think you have to give the Leaf coaches credit, they have got the team to buy in defensively, they are breaking the cycle and limiting chances giving Andersen opportunities to make the first save. There is more often than not a quick zone exit and I think they are frustrating the hell out of Boston, Im not so sure they wouldn't do the same to other teams. Watching Matthews break up plays in the slot, providing defensive help in his own end and scoring goals s well is a good sign that everyone is buying in. Confidence is so solid, at the end of the game last night, it wasn't a crazed over the top celebration, it was calm, quiet business like celebration. Just another step on the way to winning this series.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Oh, well still no.

I’d rather the discussion move on from Game 5 now. Even Rask said it wasn’t enough contact to warrant a no goal call and all he told the ref was he felt contact.

If that doesn’t change people’s minds, then the actual goalie saying it wasn’t enough interference, then nothing will
Rask also said if he feel more and sold the call maybe the goal would get disallowed.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
One thing I know about Boston being from Vancouver, they are cheats. We need to watch those refs very closely, they will attempt to rig the game in favor of Boston and it will be very evident.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I am seeing a lot of comments from fans and analysts alike saying this has been a boring series, not as fast as exciting as other series. "Whoever moves on will be quickly dispatched by Columbus". Boston fans are frustrated that their team isn't dictating style play, not establishing a forecheck, making like difficult for the Leafs D. There's bad bounces and bad officiating everywhere. How is this possible, Boston is beating themselves, the Leafs are a weak defensive team right?

I think you have to give the Leaf coaches credit, they have got the team to buy in defensively, they are breaking the cycle and limiting chances giving Andersen opportunities to make the first save. There is more often than not a quick zone exit and I think they are frustrating the hell out of Boston, Im not so sure they wouldn't do the same to other teams. Watching Matthews break up plays in the slot, providing defensive help in his own end and scoring goals s well is a good sign that everyone is buying in. Confidence is so solid, at the end of the game last night, it wasn't a crazed over the top celebration, it was calm, quiet business like celebration. Just another step on the way to winning this series.

Meh, it’s just folks trying to get a passive aggressive jab at the Leafs now they look like they’ve got the edge in the series

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON

Devil’s advocate: given the point in the game at which either goal occurred, Matthews’ goal was undoubtedly more important. I’ll concede that. Nevertheless, only one of the two reviews has definitely been proven to be incorrect, and it was Boston’s goal. Our goal could’ve gone either way, but the way the calls had been going that game, it felt like poetic justice that the review finally went our way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad