Series Talk: Leafs vs. Bruins Round 1 PGDT Part 3 (No Outside Series Talk Here)

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Oh ok. So we lost game 6 because they scored on us once. And the entire game was spent playing 'catchup'. And we lost 'momentum'.

I reiterate my choke statement.

Nope. But they sure as hell choked in game 6 at home.

Gutless performance. Honestly it was a disgrace.
No it wasn't a choke, in order for it to be a choke, the Leafs would have to be favoured to win. It's true that many hoped or even thought they'd win, but were they the favourites to win?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
We need to come out agressive and set the tempo. Needless to say, the special teams will be a huge factor in this game and will probably determine who wins. At this point, I think i would try JT on the PK to at least win the faceoff. Whoever is taking the draw is getting eating alive by Bergeron. Marleau playing so many minutes is very disturbing. Hopefully Babs swaps Moore with Marleau in game I think he could definately help us on the forecheck. Also, f*** the Bruins

Reactions: LeafsNation75

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
If the Leafs want to win game 7 and advance to round 2

Offensively:
They need to be:
1. Significantly better on the PP(capitalize on the PP as much as possible, get at least 1 goal or more)
2. Make sure everybody from lines 1-4 and our depth is playing a strong game and we're getting contribution from multiple lines
3. Come out strong, and quiet the building early
4. We need to play a speed game, dictate the game, and hopefully draw penalties
5. Win faceoffs and gain possession of the play(also applies defensively)

Defensively:
They need to be:
1. Significantly better on the PK(like not give up even one PK goal)
2. Shutdown the Pastrnak-Bergeron-Marchand top line
3. Be disciplined and not take penalties
4. Need stellar goaltending from Andersen
5. Be mindful of sudden line changeups in the middle of the game
6. Make sure each Leafs player is assigned to one of the Bruins and covering their man in the defensive zone

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's the PK man, THE PK! It is running below 60% right now. You can have a **** PP but as long as your PK is decent, Toronto's PP and PK are total and utter dog ****

You're right. The special teams are the reason we haven't wrapped this thing up yet.

What a choke.

They choked.

Oh ok. So we lost game 6 because they scored on us once. And the entire game was spent playing 'catchup'. And we lost 'momentum'.

I reiterate my choke statement.

Nope. But they sure as hell choked in game 6 at home.

Gutless performance. Honestly it was a disgrace.

I dunno man. To me, choke is the most overused cliche in sports and posts like yours are what I find disgraceful. JMHO.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Nylander's been getting unfairly shredded by the media.
The amount of criticism would be fair if Nylander had been getting owned in game after game, bleeding goals against while contributing very little. Instead his results are as positive as you can expect from a guy on the third line and outside the top PP unit. It's like working hard has become more important than results. Just seems like a convenient way to put blame on the least liked Leaf.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'm surprised by the lack of criticism Ennis is receiving.

I mean, we were absolutely dominating play... scored a goal... and then Ennis comes out and takes a penalty. I wasn't a huge fan of the call, but he put the ref in a position to make the call.

Ennis' penalty completely changed the momentum of the game.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Adjustments ? What adjustments ?

What adjustments if any would you like to see to push us through this 7th game ?

I would .....
Put Reilly with Dermott

Muzzin with Z

Gards with Hainsey

Switch AM with Marner on the PP
Put someone in front of the net on PP

Keep first PP on as long as possible

AM Nylander Kapp
Hymns JT Magic
Mango Marleau Moore
Ennis Goat brown

No matching lines

Dump and chase more

Double shift our first 2 lines here and there ..

What say you ?

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009

What adjustments if any would you like to see to push us through this 7th game ?

I would .....
Put Reilly with Dermott

Muzzin with Z

Gards with Hainsey

AM Nylander Kapp
Hymns JT Magic
Mango Marleau Moore
Ennis Goat brown

No matching lines

Dump and chase more

What say you ?
I say that sounds good to me.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015

I would .....
Put Reilly with Dermott

Muzzin with Z

Gards with Hainsey

AM Nylander Kapp
Hymns JT Magic
Mango Marleau Moore
Ennis Goat brown

No matching lines

Dump and chase more

What say you ?

IN: Chris Mueller, Nik Petan
OUT: Patrick Marleau, Frederik Gauthier

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Moore - Mueller - Kapanen
Ennis - Petan - Brown

Reilly - Hainsey
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Dermott

PK1 Tavares, Moore, Ennis, Hainsey
PK2 Mueller, Kapanen, Brown, Muzzin

PP1 Johnsson, Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Reilly
PP2 Nylander, Petan, Ennis, Kapanen, Zaitsev

Asking too much?

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Ennis - Petan - Brown

Reilly - Hainsey
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Dermott

PK2 Mueller - Kapanen, Brown, Muzzin

Asking too much?
Dats bold with only one d man on each Pk 1 and 2

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The amount of criticism would be fair if Nylander had been getting owned in game after game, bleeding goals against while contributing very little. Instead his results are as positive as you can expect from a guy on the third line and outside the top PP unit. It's like working hard has become more important than results. Just seems like a convenient way to put blame on the least liked Leaf.

This isn't the regular season where we can weigh the good and the bad and value a player as long as he's a positive impact player.

IMO, every play can and should be picked apart in the playoffs. A player who is 90% good and 10% bad can get picked apart, because that one bad shift can cost you the game.

Nylander deserves every bit of criticism coming his way.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
This isn't the regular season where we can weigh the good and the bad and value a player as long as he's a positive impact player.

IMO, every play can and should be picked apart in the playoffs. A player who is 90% good and 10% bad can get picked apart, because that one bad shift can cost you the game.

No player is 100% good.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Ennis - Petan - Brown

Reilly - Hainsey
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Dermott

PK2 Mueller, Kapanen, Brown, Muzzin

Asking too much?

Depends on bad you want to lose.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I can't believe we find ourselves here again. This time we gave up the series lead, albeit a slim one. My heart can't take another game 7....I am seriously contemplating not watching, just to switch up the luck. But there is no other game in sports like game 7 in a hockey series....what to do.? Watch or not watch....seriously conflicted. I will PVR the game regardless and make up my mind at 6:55 tomorrow. Friggin hell.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

I actually think it's the exact opposite. In the regular season we can forgive results for process because playing well leads to future success which is more important than what happens in one game. In the playoffs though? Immediate results dictate if your season is over or not.

You're arguing based on the position that bad plays might result in bad results that can cost games. I'm saying that with extremely important games in hand, what might or might not happen matters less than what actually happened.

Example: Our PK has been bad but not as bad as you'd think given the results. It's the kind of thing that screams that it'll regress towards the mean over time. But that doesn't matter right now. The only thing that matters is that it is on the verge of costing us the season. It's not like we'll talk in the summer and go: "Yeah the PK was bad but it was unsustainable, if we had played a 20 game series instead, it would have stabilized." The results are sinking us, Nylander's are not.

Example 2: In last years playoffs, Matthews had more scoring chances and higher individual xGF than anyone in the first round. He was still highly criticized because it didn't matter that he gave himself lots of chances, it never went into the net. Gardiner was arguably our best d-man through six games. That doesn't matter because he helped sink us in Game 7.

Results are always what matters in playoffs. I have no idea why an exception should suddenly be made for Nylander.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
To add to the above, I've been harsh on Marleau and Brown here. I think they kill the offense for a third line that could have been an advantage for us. However, if one of them scores two to win us Game 7, I couldn't care less if they killed every other play and made five plays that could have cost us but didn't. They would be one of the heroes of our first round, and I would praise them unequivocally.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
How can anyone look at that line on paper and expect dominance. Its like expecting Michelangelo to paint the ceiling of the sistine chapel with a bit of coal while blindfolded. I expect "happy to come out alive" from that line.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
If the Leafs want to win game 7 and advance to round 2

Offensively:
They need to be:
1. Significantly better on the PP(capitalize on the PP as much as possible, get at least 1 goal or more)
2. Make sure everybody from lines 1-4 and our depth is playing a strong game and we're getting contribution from multiple lines
3. Come out strong, and quiet the building early
4. We need to play a speed game, dictate the game, and hopefully draw penalties
5. Win faceoffs and gain possession of the play(also applies defensively)

Defensively:
They need to be:
1. Significantly better on the PK(like not give up even one PK goal)
2. Shutdown the Pastrnak-Bergeron-Marchand top line
3. Be disciplined and not take penalties
4. Need stellar goaltending from Andersen
5. Be mindful of sudden line changeups in the middle of the game
6. Make sure each Leafs player is assigned to one of the Bruins and covering their man in the defensive zone
Well I mean if they do ALL of those things they win 6-0

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I can't believe we find ourselves here again. This time we gave up the series lead, albeit a slim one. My heart can't take another game 7....I am seriously contemplating not watching, just to switch up the luck. But there is no other game in sports like game 7 in a hockey series....what to do.? Watch or not watch....seriously conflicted. I will PVR the game regardless and make up my mind at 6:55 tomorrow. Friggin hell.
This is why we watch. There is potential for the team to make history tonight and have one of those moments your remember for a lifetime. You need to watch (as if you could actually not watch)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This is why we watch. There is potential for the team to make history tonight and have one of those moments your remember for a lifetime. You need to watch (as if you could actually not watch)
I always watch and never walk away. And as a result, I've seen some pretty historic turnarounds in situations like that.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Cant watch this, but will watch the "dtmts.com" tomorrow. Will be the most nervwrecking 8minutes in a very long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad