Pre-Game Talk: Leafs Vs Bruins; Nov. 12th, 8pm

• Thread starter leafstilldeath*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue leaves

Oct 31, 2013
vancouver.bc.ca
A bit off topic, but the bolded is such a huge improvement over the last couple of years. I think as the season goes on, this is the reason we will pull out some wins that we probably wouldn't have last season.

pre-injury Bolland is better than Holland. ...and now that ugly game against Van City has reared its head in my memory.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
practice lines and pairs this morning:

Vanryk - Bozak - Kessel
Winnik - Kadri - Clarkson
Komo - Holland - Santo
Panik - Smith - Leivo

Phaneuf - Robidas
Rielly - Franson
Gardiner - Polak

Don't get that line combo, Kadri has been struggling a bit offensively (though he's looked much better defensively last few games), why not put him back with Kessel maybe to get him going? JVR-Bozak-Clarkson when they were together I thought looked pretty solid, as did Winnik-Kadri-Kessel....almost gave us 1A and 1B lines...not sure why Randy switched it up to begin with. Obviously the chemistry with JVR-Bozak-Kessel is more..but don't think those lines were given enough time

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Don't get that line combo, Kadri has been struggling a bit offensively (though he's looked much better defensively last few games), why not put him back with Kessel maybe to get him going? JVR-Bozak-Clarkson when they were together I thought looked pretty solid, as did Winnik-Kadri-Kessel....almost gave us 1A and 1B lines...not sure why Randy switched it up to begin with. Obviously the chemistry with JVR-Bozak-Kessel is more..but don't think those lines were given enough time

Randy is probably thinking that Winnik shoulders more of the defensive responsibility on the line, which frees up Naz to do his thing out there. Lupul and Kadri I don't have faith in 5 on 5 they are both offence-first players.

Clarkson has been going to the net and creating chances out there of late also.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I agree with Mess for once. If the Leafs want to be taken seriously, they need to beat the big guys once in a while, and the Bruins are ripe for the picking.

except they might not ripe for the picking at all.

The Bruins are on a 5-0-0 run, outscoring their opponents 18-9 (3.6gfa/1.8gaa, +1.8gdiff), outshooting them 147-117 (29.4spg/23.4sapg, +6.0shdiff).

of course, that has come against a really easy sked - BUF, FLA, EDM, OTT, NJ - and they needed OT to beat BUF and FLA, so maybe it's a bit of an illusion.

Then again, we still have to prove that we're better than any of those teams, and last time we played the Bruins we didn't play awful but we did kind of fold our tent halfway through after they got a couple of good bounce goals.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

To be honest I think I'm more interested in reuniting the Komo-Santo-Clarkson line that was so good when they were together to start the year. I don't think that line has been nearly as good possession-wise with holland on there.

And I wouldn't mind seeing Holland given a shot on a scoring line, maybe beside Kadri.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
practice lines and pairs this morning:

Vanryk - Bozak - Kessel
Komo - Holland - Santo
Panik - Smith - Leivo

Phaneuf - Robidas
Rielly - Franson
Gardiner - Polak

Not a fan of Kadri and Clarkson on the same line.

Clarkson needs to play a cycle game to be effective... him and Kadri just do not compliment each other well. I thought that become abundantly clear last season.

Just switch Kadri and Holland... or switch Kadri and Bozak

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Have to think that Randy has to try and start the third line of Holland-Komarov-Santorelli.

As mentioned, the starts to the last 4 games have been awful. Need to set the momentum against a team that is playing on back to back nights. Get the puck into the corner and hammer Dougie Hamilton and Krug and make them think about going into the corners.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Chicago weren't playing their best hockey. Bruins on the other hand have just started to turn it on.

Given the thrashing we received by Bruins last game I want to see what is the response by this team.

Yeah but if we win the reason is because Chara and Krecji are out.

Since when does it matter how Chicago is playing if they have Kane, Toews, Hossa, Seabrooke, and Keith in their lineup? Beating them in impressive regardless of when/how it happens.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Komo - Holland - Santa
Panik - Smith - Leivo

Not sure why the JvR - Bozak - Clarkson line ended, it was solid. Also Winnik - Kadri - Kessel was solid.

IMO I'd like to see...

JvR - Kadri - Kessel
Winnik - Bozak - Clarkson

One line with tons of speed and skill, one line cycles.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Not a fan of Kadri and Clarkson on the same line.

Clarkson needs to play a cycle game to be effective... him and Kadri just do not compliment each other well. I thought that become abundantly clear last season.

Just switch Kadri and Holland... or switch Kadri and Bozak

Kadri is fully capable of playing a good cycle game, while I agree Bozak and Kadri should be switched, no reason he can't play with Clarkson. No one could play with Clarkson last season, he was awful.

I don't understand why Carlyle would split Kadri-Kessel up 5-5, everyone knows it was working. Winnick-Kadri-Kessel looked like a great line.

Delicious Dangles*

pre-injury Bolland is better than Holland. ...and now that ugly game against Van City has reared its head in my memory.
Even if that were true, post-injury Bolland is much worse, and we didn't have any Bolland for most of last year. Plus, Bolland at the beginning of the year was being used more as a #2.

This bottom-6 as a group is much more solid. At least so far.

First time we've really had a somewhat competent 3rd line. Only other time we came close was the lockout year, but even then, it was more good depth and a GREAT 2nd line than an actual well constructed 3rd line. Good physicality, good defense, good PKing, and good offensive ability for a 3rd line are what we need.

Komarov and Clarkson are likely long-term good 3rd liners. Still need that center, which ideally would be Gauthier in a couple years, but too early to rely on that. I'm not convinced Holland can be that guy, but he (and other newcomers this year) are better stop-gaps than anybody else we've had for significant time.

Even if Carlyle is beyond stupid at deploying proper lines...

Last edited by a moderator:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
5v5

Bolland 13-14: 22.7oz%, 35.8dz%, 44.2cf%, +1.5cfrel (zone-adj: 44.7cf%, +1.0cfrel)
Santo 14-15: 25.6oz%, 37.4dz%, 48.1cf%, +1.9cfrel (zone-adj: 49.6cf%, +2.3cfrel)

5v5 Close

Bolland 13-14: 20.5oz%, 37.9dz%, 43.8cf%, +1.9cfrel (zone-adj: 44.7cf%, +2.1cfrel)
Santo 14-15: 26.1oz%, 40.5dz%, 48.0cf%, -1.1cfrel (zone-adj: 48.5cf%, -1.1cfrel)

PPG

Bolland 13-14: ES - 12:41, 0.39ppg, PP - 0:35, 0.09ppg @PP
Santo 14-15: ES - 12:46, 0.40ppg, PP - 0:03, 0.00ppg

a little bit of a mixed message between 5v5 Total and 5v5 Close but overall we can probably say they've been similar effective as leafs.

Of course, Bolland cost us 3 draft picks and $3.4m in caphit, while Santo just costs us $1.5m in caphit and nothing else.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Holland-Kadri-Kessel
JvR-Bozak-Clarkson
Komarov-Santorelli-Winnik
Panik-Carrick-Smith

Holland looks very good. Give him a go with talented guys. Kadri and him and split the draws dependong on strong sides.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Maybe, but Holland is a better fit than 5.5 million dollar post injury Bolland. Our bottom 6 now contributes on the scoreboard instread of just in the penaly minute department.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Maybe, but Holland is a better fit than 5.5 million dollar post injury Bolland. Our bottom 6 now contributes on the scoreboard instread of just in the penaly minute department.

Yes but the risk is that the minutes are still going to essentially 3 lines. JVR and Kessel are within about 2 minutes of their TOI numbers through all of last season. That is hard to sustain over the course of the season.

ChiTownLeafer

From Toronto to Chicago
Dec 26, 2011
Chicago, IL
When healthy:

Panik - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Bozak - Clarkson
Komarov - Santorelli - Holland
Booth - Winnik - Lupul

Gives us four balanced lined that could all do damage.

For now:

Panik - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Bozak - Clarkson
Komarov - Santorelli - Holland
Leivo - Smith - Winnik

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
krejci not in boston's lineup tonight. he might miss our game too.

Bruins fan here, he's already been ruled out. Lucic has looked pretty ineffective when Krejci's not in the lineup, but it's somewhat negated by Soderberg looking great this season and carrying his line. Defense is still banged up as well; Krug is back now but didn't quite look up to speed against New Jersey.

The Bruins will most likely be rolling with:

Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Fraser-Soderberg-Eriksson
Lucic-Kelly-Griffith
Paille-Campbell-Gagne

Seidenberg-Hamilton
Krug-McQuaid
Morrow-Trotman

Svedberg
Rask

Bruins always seem intent to start Rask vs. Montreal for some reason, so I would expect Svedberg if I were the Leafs.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Holland Komorov and Santorelli were great the last 2 games. I'd leave them as is. If it were me I'd go with

JVR Bozak Kessel
Leivo Kadri Clarkson
Komorov Holland Santorelli
Winnik Smith Panik

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Have to think that Randy has to try and start the third line of Holland-Komarov-Santorelli.

As mentioned, the starts to the last 4 games have been awful. Need to set the momentum against a team that is playing on back to back nights. Get the puck into the corner and hammer Dougie Hamilton and Krug and make them think about going into the corners.

I think it's pretty clear, Carlyle's biggest challenge is he can't outsmart 'Clode'.

Games against Boston is more of a coaching thing/mental than personnel IMO.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think it's pretty clear, Carlyle's biggest challenge is he can't outsmart 'Clode'.

Games against Boston is more of a coaching thing/mental than personnel IMO.

I'm going to agree with you to a certain extent.

When the game starts getting away from the Leafs, they don't stick to their structure. It becomes the 1 dimentional single rushes and the 1 and out. That doesn't come down to coaching. That comes down to players not trusting themselves and others.

But when you do face a team like Boston, you have to look to exploit their system. You need to activate your defence a little bit more to get them out of their positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad