GDT: Leafs @ Vegas - 10 pm - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Matthews has jumped into a tie for 5th in overall scoring. Nylander just behind him. Great to see because they were way down the list a month ago.

Screenshot_2024-02-22-08-49-19~2.png

Vegas has been losing lately hope we can keep the winning streak going. Should be a good one.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Interesting.. we are tied in points with them right now. They are 5-4-1 in their last ten, losing three of their last four, we are 8-2, winning 5 in a row. However, Vegas is the type of big physical team that we often have problems with, so we are really going to have to bring a full effort, for the full game tonight.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Interesting.. we are tied in points with them right now. They are 5-4-1 in their last ten, losing three of their last four, we are 8-2, winning 5 in a row. However, Vegas is the type of big physical team that we often have problems with, so we are really going to have to bring a full effort, for the full game tonight.
I truly don't want this to come off as a jab, but is there any concrete evidence from recent seasons that the Leafs actually struggle against big, physical teams? Aside from the typical "Leafs are too soft" tropes, I really don't see it.

They've made a mockery of the West so far this year, which its typically the 'big/heavy' conference (25-5-2)

Reactions: Tlo1

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
Holy cow Vegas has a bunch of tough injuries right now (Eichel, Stone, Carrier, Dorofeyev). I think they may play with 11 forwards. They’ve been stumbling a bit lately too because of these injuries and the goaltending has cooled down a bit. Really got to take advantage of that.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The D pairings today will really show if Keefe is starting to evolve. You can't touch the 2 pairs. Rielly with Rifai might be the play until you get an upgrade. If he puts Rielly back with Brodie, it's same old Keefe.
I can almost guarantee that he is the same Keefe that you know and love...

;)

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Everything is going as planned.

Leafs are built to withstand the long grind better than most teams and their previous forms. Bertuzzi and Domi for example are still fresh because the core does the major carrying of the team and both are still in their prime. McMann is still at like 99% HP points which is allowing him to stand out against other teams bottom 6es at this point in the season. Knies' went through a stamina learning curve. Really struggled for a stretch there. However his lungs seemed to have finally adapted.

Not going to be a popular opinion but we're just missing a more truculent hustler for Jarnkrok. He's a weak link imo, especially with Nylander Pking now. I prefer Nylander on the PK over him. Nylander is smarter and a scoring threat. Jarnkrok is a poor mans Kerfoot.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Leafs are built to withstand the long grind better than most teams and their previous forms. Bertuzzi and Domi for example are still fresh because the core does the major carrying of the team and both are still in their prime. McMann is still at like 99% HP points which is allowing him to stand out against other teams bottom 6es at this point in the season. Knies' went through a stamina learning curve. Really struggled for a stretch there. However his lungs seemed to have finally adapted.

Not going to be a popular opinion but we're just missing a more truculent hustler for Jarnkrok. He's a weak link imo, especially with Nylander Pking now. I prefer Nylander on the PK over him. Nylander is smarter and a scoring threat. Jarnkrok is a poor mans Kerfoot.

What? Kerfoot is so bland. I’d take Jarn over Kerfoot any day. A poor man’s Kerfoot is an awful player, and Jarnkrok is pretty decent.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I truly don't want this to come off as a jab, but is there any concrete evidence from recent seasons that the Leafs actually struggle against big, physical teams? Aside from the typical "Leafs are too soft" tropes, I really don't see it.

They've made a mockery of the West so far this year, which its typically the 'big/heavy' conference (25-5-2)

Just using hits... against teams in the top 10 in hits in the league this year.... we are 9-6-3, 21 points in 18 games. Against the rest of the league 22-10-5, 49 points in 37 games. So, our record is indeed better against less physical teams... also you look at our playoff exits...

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Just using hits... against teams in the top 10 in hits in the league this year.... we are 9-6-3, 21 points in 18 games. Against the rest of the league 22-10-5, 49 points in 37 games. So, our record is indeed better against less physical teams... also you look at our playoff exits...
But we're 5 hits away from being top 5 in the league (6th, just behind Van), so if we're using hits alone we are one of the biggest, most physical teams in the league.

(I say this as someone who hates the hit stat, and really any stat that is counted in-arena)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
But we're 5 hits away from being top 5 in the league (6th, just behind Van), so if we're using hits alone we are one of the biggest, most physical teams in the league.

(I say this as someone who hates the hit stat, and really any stat that is counted in-arena)

I appreciate that we are near the top... and hit stats are problematic... yet, there isn't an easy way to do it otherwise.... and I do think we know that we have struggled in the playoffs particularly when the game gets heavy and more physical... I mean look at the record there.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I appreciate that we are near the top... and hit stats are problematic... yet, there isn't an easy way to do it otherwise.... and I do think we know that we have struggled in the playoffs particularly when the game gets heavy and more physical... I mean look at the record there.
Can't argue with struggling in the playoffs, but I just don't know if I buy it's because we struggle with the physicality.

I quick look at our PP turning into a pile of poo when It matters remains, to me, the biggest factor in why we stink.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Might need a mid day nap to get through the entirety of this game

Shouldn’t have stayed up and watched the oilers choke to the bruins yesterday

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Marner looks amazing.

Last year needed maintenance days at the end of season. Looks like he's going into the playoffs with full tank this year. Managed himself well.

Reactions: Smif

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just looking at the scoreboard... currently in points percentage in the league...

1. Florida
2. Boston
4. NYR

No matter where we finish, assuming we make the playoffs, we will be once again playing one of the top four teams in the league... assuming the season finished now.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Vegas is struggling with a depleted lineup. Leafs have a schedule disadvantage, but they continue to be elite on the road. Only the Bruins (5) have fewer road regulation losses than the Leafs (6)

I'm confident they can get it to OT at least

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Nylander on the penalty kill is a massive upgrade over Jarnkrok.

As for this game, I think the combination of the way the Leafs are playing and Vegas' injuries will be too much for the Golden Knights. I also think Vegas is probably not putting max effort into regular season games at this point as I'm sure they know that they are better off keeping as fresh as possible until the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad