Confirmed with Link: Leafs trade Fehr to the Sharks for a 7th round pick in 2020

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
We can roll the dice on another 6’5+ Dman with this pick. One of ‘em has to pan out sooner or later right?

Seriously though, good on Lou for getting something for nothing. Can never have enough draft picks and kicks at the can, look at Conor Brown and Andreas Johnsson. Two recent examples of late rounders with talent and heart who improved after they got drafted and were late picks that normally don’t amount to anything more than AHLers or Eeropean club team players

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Lou does the dump and chase thing, dumps cumbersome contracts and chases better ones.
Hope it works out and Leafs nab a 7th round gem in 2020, :sarcasm:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Leafs now at 48/50 contracts, with the Fehr and Soshnikov deals.

Does give the team a bit more flexibility heading into the deadline

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga

Pretty cool how we've sold off two players and are the 6th place team in the NHL. Goes to show how much depth the organization has. The picks aren't anything spectacular, but this is damn good asset management.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Can't believe this is happening. Someone pinch me. 7th and a contract spot. Fehr was decent and a good pro. Thanks for your efforts and sacrifice (Finger). Good luck

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
There you go. Anyone that wanted the Leafs to sell a bit have gotten their wish ;).

But really, solid to get any return for a guy we aren't using. Plus hey another contract spot opened up. More options for the Leafs to work with.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

Nice, Lou is coming to the party with a fist full of dollars.

I have a feeling something relatively big is coming, like hopefully Martin+Carrick+prospect for a big upgrade at the 4c or the 3rd defence pair

I’d personally prefer that than going big and dumping JVR or Bozak in a deal because as frustrating as those guys can be, losing them without an adequate replacement would leave a huge hole on the 3rd line

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Fehr is bad, and has been for years. Why someone is wasting a perfectly good asset and a contract spot I have no idea.

Not sure why the Sharks love giving us picks though: 2nd last year, 2nd this year, 3rd this year, and 7th in 2020.
Sharks called and asked Lou why they should give anything for Fehr
Lou answered "Fehr is Fehr"

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Pretty cool how we've sold off two players and are the 6th place team in the NHL. Goes to show how much depth the organization has. The picks aren't anything spectacular, but this is damn good asset management.

Personally I don't think they managed the Soshnikov situation very well at all - if he played in the lineup quite a bit more, there's a chance he could have translated his AHL form to the NHL, even further increasing his value and allowing you to get something more in return / package.

But overall, you are right - it's very unusual for this fanbase to have a team that has depth all over the place; players are ready to jump into the NHL in many positions.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Free up a contract spot, cap space for a player in the AHL and get a draft pick... yup good job Lou.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm a fan of these moves. Clearing the roster clutter and stocking up on some picks. Even if they're late rounders, they're still assets.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Sharks called and asked Lou why they should give anything for Fehr
Lou answered "Fehr is Fehr"

Was that before or after Lou was laughing his ass off because he got an asset and didn't have to take back a contract for a guy not even playing in the organisation?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad