Confirmed with Link: Leafs trade Clarkson, acquire Nathan Horton (no salary retained)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yup. In any league that imposes a salary cap, cap space becomes a commodity. The Leafs just bought themselves a slice.

exactly

I tell you there is so much catering to the poor/budget teams because they expanded to stupid places. the rich teams have to play by the same rules?

screw that.
(this is why i am so not allowed to run the NHL. I would burn it to the ground in a week) :laugh:

boohooboo hoo Toronto spent money to save themselves out of trouble
boohooboohoo, Toronto can i have some more money? we have none. again.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Lebrun: there are several teams that are not happy (harbouring resentment) about the Leafs, because they don't have the financial muscle to do something like this, but so be it, that's life.

Me: who cares, suck it up, cheap teams. (hehe hayes: crybaby owners)

I'm with you Daisy and i'll also add i don't think the teams that get a slice of revenue sharing mainly due to us are grumbling when they cash that cheque .

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
No one is probably going to read this, but I have broken down the trade in the main forum and explain why Columbus is, far and away, the winner in this trade,

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1843401

We should all be disgusted Toronto was ever in this situation to begin with and I hope this is a lesson that burns in deep. The Leafs were so lucky that Horton wasn't insured, lucky Columbus isn't a cap team, and lucky Columbus management was smart enough to recognize this and approach Nonis with this trade offer (it wasn't Nonis going to Columbus as we all thought).

We should all be ashamed.

This is horrendous.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I'm with you Daisy and i'll also add i don't think the teams that get a slice of revenue sharing mainly due to us are grumbling when they cash that cheque .

*grumble, stupid, rich Toronto, let me just cash this cheque, while i complain how you shouldn't have an advantage.*

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Clarkson needs to own up to his terrible play. Not buying all of this talk that the media was out of control...Hey Dave...if you played a bit better you might have gotten a bit better press. All I'm reading on here is how bad Nonis is and how terrible the contract was...you guys realize Edmonton offered more money! it's not like the Leafs were the only ones going hard after him. Clarkson can blame whatever he wants, but he needs to accept the fact he played like ****. He needs to be a lot better in Columbus and prove people wrong because excuses are for losers.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Pretty much.

"Clarkson was told pretty much he was a #3 player so you play like a #3 player what do you expect. (did i imagine him being on the 2nd line for ages?)

"Clarkson never had the opportunities he had in NJ" (....did i imagine him being on the powerplay?)

my whole thing is this - I hope he does well in Columbus - but everyone is making it out that people are just being grumpy. The man's individual play stank. Say what you will about his skating, but things died with him. that's on HIM not coaching, or his line mates.

and I will stress this out, if people are going to blame this on the system - then quite frankly - do your research about the team you're going to before you sign your contract. I get that GMs sell bridges and stuff in UFA season, but the Leafs didn't just "become" a rush team the minute Clarkson signed his deal.

whatever. i hope he does well, but this "Leafs did Clarkson wrong." refrain is driving me nuts.

Your quotes are from one (stupid) person. Plenty of media members were very critical of him including Mirtle and Ferraro. His play on the ice probably warranted criticism, but warranted or not, constantly hearing negative things about yourself must be hard.

We also don't know how he was treated when he was out and about in the city.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Your quotes are from one (stupid) person. Plenty of media members were very critical of him including Mirtle and Ferraro. His play on the ice probably warranted criticism, but warranted or not, constantly hearing negative things about yourself must be hard.

We also don't know how he was treated when he was out and about in the city.

Poor him...suck it up and be a pro. He sucked on the ice so he heard about it from the press, how is that their fault? I am one to not defend the media but it is a complete joke to blame the media for what happened to Clarkson.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
For example Dion has been crapped on a lot during this year from the media and fans alike and what does he do in his first game back from injury he pounds the back of the net for a goal..it's the way you handle situations not the situation itself that defines you

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
LOL teams are upset at the Leafs because they can't do things the Leafs can..First off be thankful the Leafs are paying big time into revenue sharing and secondly...BOOOOO HOOOO!

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
For example Dion has been crapped on a lot during this year from the media and fans alike and what does he do in his first game back from injury he pounds the back of the net for a goal..it's the way you handle situations not the situation itself that defines you

lirl

he now has a hat trick on the season!

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
LOL teams are upset at the Leafs because they can't do things the Leafs can..First off be thankful the Leafs are paying big time into revenue sharing and secondly...BOOOOO HOOOO!

Just wait until the Leafs get good one day. There's going be so much hate aka jealously it will be amazing. One can dream of that day :nod:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I will only speak for me.
I defended Clarkson's play last season because I feel he was always a step behind. But there got to a certain point where that stopped being a reason. Lupul always misses huge chunks of games, and he never looked that loss.

This season he was given every single opportunity to succeed and he was "good" for the first month and then just fizzed out. His play was putrid. He was on the powerplay and had 1 point ALL. SEASON. (someone had the numbers, but Clarkson was near the bottom of the list (like 300+ above him had more).

Compared to the entire load of poop this team has dealt with - the only thing that Clarkson really got (overall) from the media was that "oh, he's just not good enough." Yes, Mirtle was harsh on him, and Ferraro was hard on him, but on the whole? Kessel has gotten a tonne crap more than Clarkson. Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul, etc have gotten a lot more criticism.

For all the things i hate about Phil and Dion at least these two go "well at least we're not good." out of 118 games how many "good" games has Clarkson had, and he gets benched twice, and "well it's not because of ME it's just a message to the team." No dear, it's a message to you too. you. stink.

I truly hope he (Clarkson) can be "good" in Columbus, whatever "good" means for him. but let's not make it that Clarkson never had opportunities to do well. He was never going to live up to the contract (fair), he was never going to score 30 again (not his fault), but let's not make it like all he did was play 3 minutes on the 4th line either.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
He was our 2nd highest paid forward and played arguably worse than every other forward in our lineup. Getting outplayed by Troy Bodie is embarrassing.

It was a freaking joke.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Yeah nice of Kessel/Phaneuf to show up 3 months later in the same game and pound the back of the net for us. Inspiring performance to show us that hard work and leadership can get us to 7th last in the league instead of 5th.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Clarkson needs to own up to his terrible play. Not buying all of this talk that the media was out of control...Hey Dave...if you played a bit better you might have gotten a bit better press. All I'm reading on here is how bad Nonis is and how terrible the contract was...you guys realize Edmonton offered more money! it's not like the Leafs were the only ones going hard after him. Clarkson can blame whatever he wants, but he needs to accept the fact he played like ****. He needs to be a lot better in Columbus and prove people wrong because excuses are for losers.

Contract/play aside, it must of sucked to be hated by the media/fans.

I was like well at least his got good character, and well we're supposedly rebuilding.

After he got benched and seeing the lack of ANY accountability, I was taken back a bit tbh. The guy simply refused to take any blame/ownership for his play and being benched.

Just crazy.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I defended Clarkson's play last season because I feel he was always a step behind. But there got to a certain point where that stopped being a reason. Lupul always misses huge chunks of games, and he never looked that loss.

This season he was given every single opportunity to succeed and he was "good" for the first month and then just fizzed out. His play was putrid. He was on the powerplay and had 1 point ALL. SEASON. (someone had the numbers, but Clarkson was near the bottom of the list (like 300+ above him had more).

Compared to the entire load of poop this team has dealt with - the only thing that Clarkson really got (overall) from the media was that "oh, he's just not good enough." Yes, Mirtle was harsh on him, and Ferraro was hard on him, but on the whole? Kessel has gotten a tonne crap more than Clarkson. Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul, etc have gotten a lot more criticism.

For all the things i hate about Phil and Dion at least these two go "well at least we're not good." out of 118 games how many "good" games has Clarkson had, and he gets benched twice, and "well it's not because of ME it's just a message to the team." No dear, it's a message to you too. you. stink.

I truly hope he (Clarkson) can be "good" in Columbus, whatever "good" means for him. but let's not make it that Clarkson never had opportunities to do well. He was never going to live up to the contract (fair), he was never going to score 30 again (not his fault), but let's not make it like all he did was play 3 minutes on the 4th line either.

totally agree and I mentioned something similar to this in a previous post. Clarkson seems/seemed to make a lot of excuses, whether it was the system or the media or his suspension or the PP gelling without him..whatever his reasoning is, he sucked and he still has owned up to it. I haven't heard a single quote from him that admits he has to be better. He likes to make excuses and excuses are for losers. See ya Dave good luck in Columbus because you're going to need it.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

I'm with you Daisy, I defended him too. I also saw that he wouldn't/won't fit on a rush style team. I had high hopes for him and Bolland together. But this year, while he started off well enough, he was unable to make it work with anyone.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Even as distinguished an analyst as Scott Morrison saying that fans could never get past the contract, what a pile of hogwash. Fans came out in droves to support the guy at the start of the season when Aquariumhead Clarkson went on a 10-game tear. If he'd have kept up that pace and been a useful 3rd-liner, he'd have had more fans on his side than against him. He just sucks at hockey, plain and simple.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Contract/play aside, it must of sucked to be hated by the media/fans.

I was like well at least his got good character, and well we're supposedly rebuilding.

After he got benched and seeing the lack of ANY accountability, I was taken back a bit tbh. The guy simply refused to take any blame/ownership for his play and being benched.

Just crazy.

and that's where my empathy ended.
i mean - Kyle Lowry has played like garbage since the all star break. You know what Kyle Lowry said in the media? "I'm playing like garbage." (I don't follow basketball, this is what my friend said so if i'm wrong, I'm sorry).

he never goes. "hey, well, my play isn't that good, so i have to serve my time." I get that press box duty is very political and everything, but it's not like Clarkson was unfairly placed there (and as i remember most of the media was beating the drum that it shouldn't even be him. Including Mirtle and Ferraro, people who don't like his play)

to me, it's attitude like that that needs to be out of here too. Have some sort of accountability for yourself.

totally agree and I mentioned something similar to this in a previous post. Clarkson seems/seemed to make a lot of excuses, whether it was the system or the media or his suspension or the PP gelling without him..whatever his reasoning is, he sucked and he still has owned up to it. I haven't heard a single quote from him that admits he has to be better. He likes to make excuses and excuses are for losers. See ya Dave good luck in Columbus because you're going to need it.

Yup. and I love Columbus, and maybe the style will work there, but .. (shrug) i'll be intrigued to see how he actually adapts, and if he doesn't work out whose fault is it then?

I'm with you Daisy, I defended him too. I also saw that he wouldn't/won't fit on a rush style team. I had high hopes for him and Bolland together. But this year, while he started off well enough, he was unable to make it work with anyone.

Exactly. to which - i think agents and players and teams all need to be honest with themselves. I get there's awhole hell of a lot that we don't know, but I would seriously hope for the betterment of themselves + the team, people can go. "okay so here are the players that we've got. this is the style that you play. this is how WE play -do you feel like you can play with us?" like. goodness gracious. as much as we get on Nonis and company for offering the contract (and that's where scouts and stuff get blamed), do your own freaking research. It's like... off the wall scenario, Duchene (and he skates like the wind), signing in New Jersey, and can't figure out why he can't work within a trapping system.

BayStBully

Dec 7, 2010
Toronto
Genius trade.

The fact that some of you guys think this was Nonis is pretty cute. If Nonis was running the ship still we would have traded for Mike Richards weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad