Confirmed with Link: Leafs trade Clarkson, acquire Nathan Horton (no salary retained)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Leafs fans and those of other teams have been pretty ruthless, but I think the media in general was pretty easy on him to be honest. Nearly every bit of criticism he took was always qualified with "Listen, Clarkson is a great guy works hard and cares... But it's just not working out".

I don't know how much easier you can be on him without lying.

Pretty much.

"Clarkson was told pretty much he was a #3 player so you play like a #3 player what do you expect. (did i imagine him being on the 2nd line for ages?)

"Clarkson never had the opportunities he had in NJ" (....did i imagine him being on the powerplay?)

my whole thing is this - I hope he does well in Columbus - but everyone is making it out that people are just being grumpy. The man's individual play stank. Say what you will about his skating, but things died with him. that's on HIM not coaching, or his line mates.

and I will stress this out, if people are going to blame this on the system - then quite frankly - do your research about the team you're going to before you sign your contract. I get that GMs sell bridges and stuff in UFA season, but the Leafs didn't just "become" a rush team the minute Clarkson signed his deal.

whatever. i hope he does well, but this "Leafs did Clarkson wrong." refrain is driving me nuts.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, Bozak, Gardiner, Franson, and others were all under much, much worse scrutiny than he was. I'm sure it sucks but it's not like he was featured as a "coach killer" on the front page of The Hockey News.

pretty much.
and I am hard on all of those guys. I think Kessel is getting a lot of hate for things that is not his fault. (the coach killer thing - but Ovi had the exact same thing last season, and is playing very beastly).

Basically, this is all I remember seeing.

Everyone going "this is a nightmare for Clarkson." "who knew that the dream would be so dark, for Clarkson?" everyone sympathized with him when he was a healthy scratch.

the only real quibbles i remember is Ferarro saying (quite accurately), "I can't imagine one thing Clarkson does well." Oh, and Simmons and people wondering WHY he got that much money for basically being WHO he is.

now - maybe he's talking about the general overall bad Leafs press, then, for sure. but in regards to him? I don't remember. now. i'm not him nor his family, so maybe there's been more. but. (shrug).

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
One side note on Clarkson signing here. Hope it does not affect future UFA's from coming here. Some will probably think twice given the scrutiny if it does not work out. There is a lot of pressure that comes with playing in Toronto.

This team should not be sniffing the panties of any big name UFA's for several years.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
I'm happy Clarkson's gone but at the same time I can understand why free agents want to avoid this place. Any player with an above average salary here is scrutinized no matter what he does. Any the media with these joke headlines don't make things any better. Why would any free agent want this crap.

B-07JcWUIAAtIar.jpg

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
What idiot gives Nathan Horton a contract like this? Wow. UFA season is definitely the silly season. Some of these decisions cost organizations millions of dollars. Millions of dollars for nothing. Companies don't get rich by throwing millions away. I still think Nonis should lose his job over this whole mess.

Nathan Horton - 53 point pace/82 games over his career. 0.837 PPG in the playoffs. You don't understand how that isn't worth 5 million a year? The back injury is a complete fluke that he hadn't dealt with in the past. Horton can play on the wing or slot up the middle. That's a valuable skill to have. His career is likely over at this point but his contract was signed before his back injury. The disconnect that people have in terms of what top 6 point production is baffles me sometimes.

Even the better scoring teams usually only have 3-4 players who break 50 points.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Nathan Horton - 53 point pace/82 games over his career. 0.837 PPG in the playoffs. You don't understand how that isn't worth 5 million a year? The back injury is a complete fluke that he hadn't dealt with in the past. Horton can play on the wing or slot up the middle. That's a valuable skill to have. His career is likely over at this point but his contract was signed before his back injury. The disconnect that people have in terms of what top 6 point production is baffles me sometimes.

Even the better scoring teams usually only have 3-4 players who break 50 points.

But did he not have some injury history in the past?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Lebrun: there are several teams that are not happy (harbouring resentment) about the Leafs, because they don't have the financial muscle to do something like this, but so be it, that's life.

Me: who cares, suck it up, cheap teams. (hehe hayes: crybaby owners)

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Lebrun: there are several teams that are not happy (harbouring resentment) about the Leafs, because they don't have the financial muscle to do something like this, but so be it, that's life.

Leafs shouldn't have to apologize for having money. It is what it is, deal with it

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

Are they also complaining that their owners are lining their pockets with revenue sharing cash coming from the Leafs?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Not shocked really.

I've heard some ex-mangers like Neil Smith and Doug Maclean who have some sour grapes going; So I can imagine active ones aren't happy.

But we pump 15 million a year into revenue sharing a year to keep some of these low budget teams a float; It might not be those teams that have the issue but the ones that do are just envious we found this competitive advantage.

EDDIE20*

Exactly. Who gives a **** about the other teams? I'd be willing to bet those who complain about this also profit from revenue sharing thanks to the Leafs.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I know, right? like. shut, the hell up. it irritates me.

The thing is, there's far shadier stuff that happens around the league and no one says a word.

Pronger is on LTIR with the Flyers but he's also working in the NHL front office.

That means he receives a paycheck from the Flyers, but he's also making decisions about suspensions in the league office. That's a ridiculous conflict of interest.

But the Leafs do something a bunch of other teams are doing and suddenly it's this travesty.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

Whats the Leafs opinion on all those free loading franchises spending our TV and Merchandise money to pay their bills?

EDDIE20*

Whats the Leafs opinion on all those free loading franchises spending our TV and Merchandise money to pay their bills?

Yeah, a team like Phoenix needs us just to be able to afford to keep the lights on in their arena. I wouldn't doubt if some have complained to Bettman about this deal. I hope they whine for a long time.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
These teams can complain now but if they needed Toronto to bail them out of a similar situation, they would be all for it.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
He did, which is likely why his contract wasn't insured.

From what I've been reading (briefly), only his shoulder was uninsurable. Columbus could have insured the rest of his body but chose not to. I'm not 100% on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad