GDT: Leafs@Stars 8:30 PM TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Lol there's a difference of cleaning up GDTs because people were actively cheering for losses during Tank Nation's prime and cleaning it up for criticism

GDTs would be a hell of a lot more boring if it was a circle jerk of blind optimism

There's a difference between being critical and whining that the game is too late and why bother watching because we'll get destroyed.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
There's a difference between being critical and whining that the game is too late and why bother watching because we'll get destroyed.
True, didn't look at the start of the argument, but other than Kamicolo's first post about 'I'm not watching bc ___' I wouldn't want anything else out of the thread

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Due to their good start. Since December 1st all underlying stats point to a bottom 10 team.
I hate when people say "The team/player is ____ since ____ blah blah blah".

Since the start of the season they are not a bottom 10 team. The playoff race starts at game 1, the league doesn't step in and say "we're only going to count points from Dec 1st and on".

The team is better than they've been playing lately, and likely not as good as their hot start. Figure it out.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I hate when people say "The team/player is ____ since ____ blah blah blah".

Since the start of the season they are not a bottom 10 team. The playoff race starts at game 1, the league doesn't step in and say "we're only going to count points from Dec 1st and on".

The team is better than they've been playing lately, and likely not as good as their hot start. Figure it out.

I don't disagree. In fact on the first page I said the same thing as you, that the team is better than they are playing. However, that doesn't mean anything if they continue to play as they have.

At the end of the day I will be happy to be proven wrong, but I am also keeping expectations in check based on their play this lately.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Really that is your one wish for the Leafs? for Dermott to play 20 minutes? not for a win today? or for a cup? I mean if we are limiting our 1 wishes to the hockey team then it would seem there would be better options than Dermott playing 20 minutes.

I like Dermott but I personally do not care if he never sees the ice if it means they win tonight

I am amazed that you took my post so literally lol.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My original comment was that Dallas is a better team. I only said we "suck" when pressed about it, and provided evidence for my opinion.

Anything further is just people looking for something to be upset with. I didn't come in here and go "LOL Leafs are going to get destroyed. We are terrible, Matthews sucks, demote Marner to the AHL" etc etc. I said we were going to get beaten by a better team.

Right, you said we'd "get humiliated". I'll never understand people like you. You say you won't waste time watching the game but you're more than happy to waste time posting about how you won't waste your time.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, your posts are a waste of time. Enjoy your day. :laugh: Don't forget to come here tomorrow to tell us how terrible we played.

Me I'm really looking forward to this one. Not sure why exactly but I was really looking forward to last nights game and it was a good one. Maybe it's a sense of mystery, don't know the teams in the west as well so always interesting in that sense.

Looking at the standings by PTS%, what a logjam of teams there are between Dallas in 8th with 60 points in 49 games and LA in 16th with 57 points in 49 games. And we're 14th with 59 points in 50 games. Gonna be a dogfight for the playoffs until the bitter end it looks like. Good thing were in the division we're in so we can basically coast in. Or to put it another way, there's zero reason not to cash in our JVR chip for some assets. ;)

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I don't disagree. In fact on the first page I said the same thing as you, that the team is better than they are playing. However, that doesn't mean anything if they continue to play as they have.

At the end of the day I will be happy to be proven wrong, but I am also keeping expectations in check based on their play this lately.
Then you should realize that their results will eventually turn around.

I am of the same opinion on tonight's game as it will be a tough one on a back to back with 2 of our top 4 D missing and our backup in nets while being on the road. It just doesn't look like a game we should win, although I still think there is a chance.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I seriously don't get why posts like theirs aren't considered trolling. I can understand criticizing a player or coaching move even if sometimes it's a little excessive but that's just trashing the team.

Yeah I mean I get that ridiculous opinions are allowed but when thread is specifically devoted to today's game and people show up trashing the team and while the same time, telling us that they won't be watching, it would seem more than reasonable to tell them to waste their time trashing our team someplace else.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
This GDT is something else ...
Anyways,

Tough game tonight, would be huge if we could somehow come out with a win. Wonder if we see the D-pairs thrown into the blender all game again.

member 262271

I'm somewhere in the middle of this debate, sometimes it's hard to say anything positive because you don't know what leafs team is going to show up on any given night. That said, negativity and being derogatory within it are two different things. Anyhoo, I'll be missing this game - I truly hope for all those watching that there isn't another questionable GI call, but we all know there will be many missed calls against both teams, this is the NHL now.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'm somewhere in the middle of this debate, sometimes it's hard to say anything positive because you don't know what leafs team is going to show up on any given night. That said, negativity and being derogatory within it are two different things. Anyhoo, I'll be missing this game - I truly hope for all those watching that there isn't another questionable GI call, but we all know there will be many missed calls against both teams, this is the NHL now.

The rule I always try to use is if I was a fan of another team, would my posts be considered trolling? (I'm not saying I'm perfect by any stretch but that's the guide I try to use)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hate Thursday night games (No games this weekend either....hate the All Star game more.).
Last night was the most entertained I've been in a while, didn't doze off once so was looking forward to this one.
Hopefully it remains close until I get to the bar for the 3rd.

Reactions: coupe93

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If the Sequin line is able to stay away from the Gardiner-Hainsey pairing (which they will to some extent with last change) this is going to be a long night

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
What is worse than a negative post here or there is 3 pages of discussion about it. If I didn't want to see negative sensationalism posts I would stay far away from internet forums, which I quite often do lol.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
The game in Dallas last season was a nightmare. The Stars lead 5-1 after the first and coasted to a 6-3 victory.

Hopefully that embarrassment is pointed out by Babcock and they show up at puck drop, or it could be a very long night against Benn, Seguin, Klingberg and Radulov, especially without Rielly and Andersen.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I don't think there is anything wrong with complaining and being negitive in a GDT. The only thing @Kamiccolo wouldn't you agree that he leafs have been playing much better over past 5 or so games. We have won in 2 of last 3. And frankly we outplayed the hawks from the 2nd period on last night. I get complaining when we were playing poorly and Babcock was not making any adjustments. However, Babcock accepted that the lines needed a switch up. He created new lines that looked a lot better on the ice. I cant disagree that the timing of this game sucks( it is fair though since it' a Dallas home game), but I like our chances against Dallas. This could be a game where we pot 8 or get scored 8 on. The players need to come put focused and ready to play. Can't be too relaxed and ready for the upcoming break. When things look bad I think complaining was fine. However the team has played better for a bit now and management are trying new things on ice. Your usually a intelligent poster so I don't see you as one of those fake leaf fan accounts always bashing a certain leaf player or coach. I think the leafs will go on a run now. They had a bad stretch where (leafs players were poor, Babcock made odd choices and played too defensive of a system, and Lou was giving Babcock worse players by not calling up kapanen and Dermott). I have a good feeling about this team. Not good enough to say they are going to win a cup, but I am seeing chemistry forming between the players, players being more puck conscious, Babcock letting the skilled guys try and make plays and playing them high end mins. If the leafs get 100 points this season they have met expectatons. 100 points is realistic and if we play at that level we will have momentum going into.the playoffs. I feel the leafs win this 6-3.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I don't think there is anything wrong with complaining and being negitive in a GDT.

Why would you join a GDT just to piss on the team? I'm not saying if someone makes a bad play they shouldn't be criticized , if Bozak or Kadri screw up a play we should definitely comment on it.

I just don't get why people join a GDT to say the team sucks or were going to get destroyed tonight.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Why would you join a GDT just to piss on the team? I'm not saying if someone makes a bad play they shouldn't be criticized , if Bozak or Kadri screw up a play we should definitely comment on it.

I just don't get why people join a GDT to say the team sucks or were going to get destroyed tonight.

I guess technically, it's a game. And they perceive a likely outcome so want to comment on it. So where else would they put comments related to the game about to be played?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I guess technically, it's a game. And they perceive a likely outcome so want to comment on it. So where else would they put comments related to the game about to be played?

They could just keep them in their heads. We're going to get destroyed isn't adding anything of value and it's just running the team down for no reason.

It's like the people who only post when we're scored on to say we suck. What's the point?

Anyways this is my last post on this for a while, I don't want to harp on an issue if I can avoid it.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm not sure how this crazy discussion got going, but going to try to avoid it.

In the end let's see how this goes. It'll be a tough game. There has been plenty to be frustrated about as of late and the Leafs are against a tough opponent. But they did overcome adversity against Chicago. Dallas is going to be tough, but it isn't as if the Leafs can't win. Score some goals, try to be as solid defensively as they can with the injuries they've got, and see what happens.

Could turn into a frustrating result, but will deal with that when it happens.

Reactions: leaffaninvancouver

member 262271

The rule I always try to use is if I was a fan of another team, would my posts be considered trolling? (I'm not saying I'm perfect by any stretch but that's the guide I try to use)
To some, I gather. Not a thing wrong with it, though. I'm too old to play the "your team sucks" game, definitely too humbled by the past that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad