GDT: Leafs@Stars 8:30 PM TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Thursday NHL game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Dallas Stars

Alexander Radulov tough test for Leafs defence at American Airlines Center.

Thursday NHL game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Dallas Stars | Toronto Star

radulov_stars.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x774.jpg

Goalie Kari Lehtonen, forward Alexander Radulov and the Dallas Stars host the Maple Leafs on Thursday night. (Jeffrey T. Barnes / AP file photo)

By Dave FeschukSports Columnist
Wed., Jan. 24, 2018

AMERICAN AIRLINES CENTER
FACEOFF:
8:30 p.m.
TV: TSN4
RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN
KEY PLAYERS
Radulov/Leafs defence
Alexander Radulov, the former Canadiens winger, broke hearts in Montreal when he signed a five-year deal in Dallas last summer worth an annual average value of about $6.25 million U.S.. Lately he’s been breaking through opposing schemes at an alarming rate. In his most recent eight games the 31-year-old winger — who plays on the No. 1 line with Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn — has racked up six goals and nine assists.
NEED TO KNOW
Maple Leafs winger Leo Komarov turned 31 on Tuesday, when the team spent the night in Chicago. Longtime linemate Nazem Kadri, who was separated from Komarov in a lineup shakeup at practice on Tuesday, said celebrations were low-key. “He’s getting too old to celebrate now anyways,” Kadri said of Komarov. Leafs defenceman Jake Gardiner, overhearing Kadri’s remark, begged to differ, suggesting Komarov had been pointing out his impending milestone in the lead-up to the big day: “(Komarov) is obsessed with his birthday.” . . . The Stars have won six of their last eight games, outscoring opponents a combined 31-16.
UP NEXT
Jan. 31 vs. New York Islanders, 7:30 p.m.

GAME DAY: Maple Leafs at Stars
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby

GAME DAY: Maple Leafs at Stars

902014256_61625188-e1516893868934.jpg

Ron Hainsey #2 of the Toronto Maple Leafs waits for a faceoff against the Vancouver Canucks during an NHL game at the Air Canada Centre on January 6, 2018 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The Maple Leafs defeated the Canucks 3-2 in an overtime shoot-out. (Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images

MAPLE LEAFS AT DALLAS STARS
8:30 P.M. AMERICAN AIRLINES CENTER
TV: TSN RADIO: TSN 1050

THE BIG MATCH-UP
D John Klingberg vs. D Ron Hainsey

The surprise leader among NHL blueline scorers at a near point-a-game pace, Klingberg also has points in 10 of his last 11 and leads the Stars in ice time at 23:33. Hainsey – and all the Leafs – will be tested on the second of back to back nights, but both clubs should leave everything out there with the all-star break following.
KEYS TO THE GAME
REMEMBER MCELHINNEY?

Leaf back-up goalie Curtis McElhinney has not played since Dec. 20 and not won since Dec. 10. He gets a tired team in front of him again, but is used to making the best of it. His career mark is 4-2 against the Stars with a .926 save percentage.
SPEZ-TACULAR
Jason Spezza, having overcome being a healthy scratch earlier this month, enters this game with 58 career points against the Leafs (mostly with Ottawa), which is the third highest of all active NHLers versus Toronto and his most against any NHL team.
RADICAL RADULOV
Coach Ken Hitchcock’s humour must have lightened the mood of the former Predator and Canadien Alexander Radulov, who has already reached 20 goals and had a couple of three-point games this month. He’s also counted in 10 of his last 11 games, 18 points in all.
CLOSING THE DOOR
Hitchcock has brought the expected improvement to the Stars’ defensive game, holding opponents to an average of just under 30 shots per game, best in the Western Conference.
FIRST THINGS FIRST
It won’t be easy to beat the Stars at home, where they have an impressive record of 17-6-1. That starts in the first period where they’ve given up just 33 goals in those 24 games.
STARS GAME DAY LINES
LW C RW

Jamie Benn Tyler Seguin Alexander Radulov
Antoine Roussel Radek Faska Tyler Pitlick
Mattias Janmark Jason Spezza Remi Elie
Brett Ritchie Jason Dickenson Devin Shore
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Esa Kindell John Klingberg
Dan Hamhuis Greg Pateryn
Dillon Heatherington Stephen Johns
GOALIES
Ben Bishop
Kari Lehtonen
SICK BAY
D Marc Methot
F Martin Hanzal
LEAFS GAME DAY LINES
Zach Hyman Auston Matthews William Nylander
Patrick Marleau Nazem Kadri Mitch Marner
James van Riemsdyk Tyler Bozak Connor Brown
Leo Komarov Dominic Moore Kasperi Kapanen
DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Jake Gardiner Ron Hainsey
Travis Dermott Connor Carrick
Andreas Borgman Roman Polak
GOALIES
Curtis McElhinney
Frederik Andersen
SICK BAY
D Morgan Rielly
D Nikita Zaitsev
F Nikita Soshnikov
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power Play

Toronto 20.4% (10th)
Dallas 20.7 (8th)
Penalty killing
Toronto 83.8% (4th)
Dallas 81.7% (15th)

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Dallas has been pretty good recently, going to need a pretty big effort to keep up with them tonight I think.

Hoping Dermott and the other young guys can keep their energy up on a back to back, we'll be needing them.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
When you think Dallas, you think "offensive powerhouse". You don't think this is the team with the lowest CA/60 and xGA/60 in the entire league.

They're so dangerous because they give up so few chances to score, and can come back with Seguin, Benn, Radulov, and Klingberg to score a shit ton of goals.

The key is to take advantage of Bishop, who (as per usual) is having a mediocre season because he's a mediocre goalie.

This will be a very tough game, especially on the 2nd half of a B2B. Really hoping the boys bounce back with a hard fought game.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Probably won't see the whole game because I need my beauty rest :sarcasm:. But hoping for a dominant game from the Matthews line after Nylander's huge OT winner last night.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They need the Backup to play like he did against Edmonton a few Sundays ago for a chance here.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I am, as ever, cautiously optimistic. If I could have just one wish, it would be to give Dermott 20 minutes again. Good stuff happens when he's on the ice.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
When you think Dallas, you think "offensive powerhouse". You don't think this is the team with the lowest CA/60 and xGA/60 in the entire league.

hitchcock-weights.jpg

Game is too late. Not worth staying up to watch us get humiliated by a better team.

Now you know why Dallas wanted to get out of the old Pacific Division so badly. Every divisional road game started at 9:30 in DFW. I was a huge night owl back then, so I didn't mind, but it sucked for TV ratings & local interest.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Should be a good game in both teams play to their strengths. I wonder if they will change up the defense pairs?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
NEED TO KNOW
Maple Leafs winger Leo Komarov turned 31 on Tuesday, when the team spent the night in Chicago. Longtime linemate Nazem Kadri, who was separated from Komarov in a lineup shakeup at practice on Tuesday, said celebrations were low-key. “He’s getting too old to celebrate now anyways,Kadri said of Komarov.

LOL.

so i am gonna say we're gonna see 1 Goalie Interference goal against the Leafs tonight. :nod:

Daisy getting the natives stirred up before the game even starts, nice work. ;)

Game is too late. Not worth staying up to watch us get humiliated by a better team.

Yeah well, I don't know WTF you're talking about, seems like two pretty evenly matched teams to me. I also like watching our Leafs play hockey but whatever, you do what you like.

I am, as ever, cautiously optimistic. If I could have just one wish, it would be to give Dermott 20 minutes again. Good stuff happens when he's on the ice.

I would also like to see another strong game from Kadri's line, would really like to see that group stay together.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yeah well, I don't know WTF you're talking about, seems like two pretty evenly matched teams to me. I also like watching our Leafs play hockey but whatever, you do what you like.

I seriously don't get why posts like theirs aren't considered trolling. I can understand criticizing a player or coaching move even if sometimes it's a little excessive but that's just trashing the team.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I would also like to see another strong game from Kadri's line, would really like to see that group stay together.

Same. They were excellent last night, best line and not even close. Kadri led the team with a nice 60% CF, Marleau with 59%. Marner was a little lower at 50%, but still 6th highest amongst forwards and was still 4th overall in corsi for generated.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Playing up to their potential sure. Leafs have been a tire fire for a month now. Can't score and defend at the same time. Their system will suffocate the Leafs to death in the Neutral zone making the game into dump and chase. They have the offensive fire power to match the Leafs, and the Leafs have McBackup in net who hasn't played for a month, after playing an away game yesterday and traveling.

I'm just calling it like I see it. I was very high on them and will change my mind when I see their play improve. They are better than they are playing but I don't see my take as unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad