GDT: Leafs@Stars 8:30 PM TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Playing up to their potential sure. Leafs have been a tire fire for a month now. Can't score and defend at the same time. Their system will suffocate the Leafs to death in the Neutral zone making the game into dump and chase. They have the offensive fire power to match the Leafs, and the Leafs have McBackup in net who hasn't played for a month, after playing an away game yesterday and traveling.

I'm just calling it like I see it. I was very high on them and will change my mind when I see their play improve. They are better than they are playing but I don't see my take as unrealistic.

then why post? you're not going to watch, you think we're gonna lose, and you think the team is bad. the GDT is supposed to be no negative/slamming of the team, which is what you basically are doing while you 'call it as you see it.'

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'd start Andersen. No game till Wednesday and I prefer a slightly tired Andersen over the fresh McElhinney. We need to get on a roll. What does a loss here do? We're back to losing and no game till Wednesday.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
then why post? you're not going to watch, you think we're gonna lose, and you think the team is bad. the GDT is supposed to be no negative/slamming of the team, which is what you basically are doing while you 'call it as you see it.'

The mods needs to bring back or start enforcing that rule. Every bloody GDT is filled with negativity.

Reactions: egd27

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd start Andersen. No game till Wednesday and I prefer a slightly tired Andersen over the fresh McElhinney. We need to get on a roll. What does a loss here do? We're back to losing and no game till Wednesday.

You need to play your backup. Andersen has started 42 games all ready. That's a huge workload, even if there's a big break afterwards. There's some science behind goaltenders being worst in a back to back situation and there's a risk of injury in those games as well.

If you're not comfortable with your backup, then you should find one that you are comfortable with. Call up Sparks or Pickard if McBackup isn't good enough. We're not desperate for Andersen to play every game.

Reactions: canadon

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

As far as I am aware blind optimism is not a requirement for posting here. If the threads are only to be blind positivity, no meaningful discussion can be had. I posted my thoughts, and defended it when asked.

As for you, you are in the blind optimism range. I think you are a good poster but you let the Leaf goggles get in the way. They aren't a very good team this year, middle of the pack. Poor underlying numbers. Been on pace for a bottom 5 finish since Dec 1st if not for their hot start.

So to answer, I am posting because I am a fan of the team and as far as I am aware this thread is to discuss tonights game.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
As far as I am aware blind optimism is not a requirement for posting here. If the threads are only to be blind positivity, no meaningful discussion can be had. I posted my thoughts, and defended it when asked.

As for you, you are in the blind optimism range. I think you are a good poster but you let the Leaf goggles get in the way. They aren't a very good team this year, middle of the pack. Poor underlying numbers. Been on pace for a bottom 5 finish since Dec 1st if not for their hot start.

So to answer, I am posting because I am a fan of the team and as far as I am aware this thread is to discuss tonights game.

There's supposed to be no negativity in GDT, they are for cheering the team on. Nothing stops you from creating a thread all about why you think the Leafs suck.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You need to play your backup. Andersen has started 42 games all ready. That's a huge workload, even if there's a big break afterwards. There's some science behind goaltenders being worst in a back to back situation and there's a risk of injury in those games as well.

If you're not comfortable with your backup, then you should find one that you are comfortable with. Call up Sparks or Pickard if McBackup isn't good enough. We're not desperate for Andersen to play every game.

Yes, but he should get a back to back once in a while because in the playoffs they do happen. You won't start your backup in a playoff situation on a back to back, would you?

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
There's supposed to be no negativity in GDT, they are for cheering the team on. Nothing stops you from creating a thread all about why you think the Leafs suck.

If that's the case then a MOD can clean up the thread, but as far as I am concerned this rule is not enforced at ALL, and hasn't been since I have been a member. Maybe a few games, but the reality is there is no discussion if posts can only be one sided.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
If that's the case then a MOD can clean up the thread, but as far as I am concerned this rule is not enforced at ALL, and hasn't been since I have been a member. Maybe a few games, but the reality is there is no discussion if posts can only be one sided.

Can a Mod weigh in on this? You created this rule because people kept cheering the team on because of tanking. What is the current policy when someone just says the team sucks why bother watching them get destroyed in multiple GDT?

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Can a Mod weigh in on this? You created this rule because people kept cheering the team on because of tanking. What is the current policy when someone just says the team sucks why bother watching them get destroyed in multiple GDT?

Multiple GDT? I am one of the biggest supporters. I just know this team. How is it any different from all the posts yesterday about how we'll get scored on from their PP or when there is a rookie or player from Toronto they will score?

There isn't.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

oh so because I don't go "oh woe is us we suck" all the time, i'm blindly optimistic? geeze that's news to me thank you for letting me know that. (FYI - you're wrong. if you want to know what my feelings are re: this team, it would behoove you to ask me, not just state it as fact that i'm blindly optimistic). though thank you for the compliment.

the Game Day Thread from what I've been told by moderators is supposed to be one of support. No bashing of the team, no overt negativity so on and so forth. I am not saying you don't have the right to your opinion, or your thoughts, but the question is why post in this thread, when you flat out aren't going to watch (because it's late) because the team isn't good (in your opinion)? What are you discussing? (not the game day goings on, because you're of the assumption we're going to be dummied by a better team). You're not going to watch, so you're not really contributing in a thread that's supposed to be positive in nature with people who intend to at least watch part of the game (or listen to it).

I mean if you want to discuss what i've bolded, we can talk that in the season discussion thread and I can very clearly tell you my thoughts on what I think (or if you wanna have a PM conversation start one up, and we can go there too). it's one thing if you were gonna miss it, but if you're intentionally gonna miss it because you feel we'll lose then. i'm just confused is all.

Reactions: leaffaninvancouver

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Yes, but he should get a back to back once in a while because in the playoffs they do happen. You won't start your backup in a playoff situation on a back to back, would you?

it's v. rare that playoffs have a back to back situation though

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Agreed. Andersen leads the league in shots faced. The fact that he has maintained a .920sv% through that speaks volumes about his performance this season. Team MVP no doubt.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

you do not need to be 100% positive all the time but there is no need to lie.

When you say this isn't a good team despite them being on pace for close to 100 points, at that point you are lying

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
oh so because I don't go "oh woe is us we suck" all the time, i'm blindly optimistic? geeze that's news to me thank you for letting me know that. (FYI - you're wrong. if you want to know what my feelings are re: this team, it would behoove you to ask me, not just state it as fact that i'm blindly optimistic). though thank you for the compliment.

the Game Day Thread from what I've been told by moderators is supposed to be one of support. No bashing of the team, no overt negativity so on and so forth. I am not saying you don't have the right to your opinion, or your thoughts, but the question is why post in this thread, when you flat out aren't going to watch (because it's late) because the team isn't good (in your opinion)? What are you discussing? (not the game day goings on, because you're of the assumption we're going to be dummied by a better team). You're not going to watch, so you're not really contributing in a thread that's supposed to be positive in nature with people who intend to at least watch part of the game (or listen to it).

I mean if you want to discuss what i've bolded, we can talk that in the season discussion thread and I can very clearly tell you my thoughts on what I think (or if you wanna have a PM conversation start one up, and we can go there too). it's one thing if you were gonna miss it, but if you're intentionally gonna miss it because you feel we'll lose then. i'm just confused is all.

My original comment was that Dallas is a better team. I only said we "suck" when pressed about it, and provided evidence for my opinion.

Anything further is just people looking for something to be upset with. I didn't come in here and go "LOL Leafs are going to get destroyed. We are terrible, Matthews sucks, demote Marner to the AHL" etc etc. I said we were going to get beaten by a better team.

I then said the reasoning which is all above. Poor pacing and stats since the midway point so far, McBackup, tired team on a back to back, system is made to kill our team, and they can out score us.

If anyone wants to equate those two things as the same thing, then I think that is a you (not you specifically) problem.

Reactions: coupe93

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Stars are good yeah, but Leafs can absolutely win this. McBackup has to be solid and we have to play all three periods.

I understand a compliment here and there, but if your gonna suck up to the opposition go to their thread.

GLG, f*** da stars.

Reactions: leaffaninvancouver

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Due to their good start. Since December 1st all underlying stats point to a bottom 10 team.

That'll probably even out the next two months. They've been playing much better the last half a dozen games. They weren't as good as their start but they aren't as bad as their record since December 1st. They are exactly what most pegged them to be, a team that should be a playoff team but not comfortably.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Lol there's a difference of cleaning up GDTs because people were actively cheering for losses during Tank Nation's prime and cleaning it up for criticism

GDTs would be a hell of a lot more boring if it was a circle jerk of blind optimism

Reactions: coupe93

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am, as ever, cautiously optimistic. If I could have just one wish, it would be to give Dermott 20 minutes again. Good stuff happens when he's on the ice.

Really that is your one wish for the Leafs? for Dermott to play 20 minutes? not for a win today? or for a cup? I mean if we are limiting our 1 wishes to the hockey team then it would seem there would be better options than Dermott playing 20 minutes.

I like Dermott but I personally do not care if he never sees the ice if it means they win tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad