Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Victor Mete.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The Ottawa Senators claimed defenceman Victor Mete off waivers from the #32 Montreal Canadiens.

The Ottawa Senators have claimed Adam Gaudette off waivers from #29 overall Chicago.

The #28 overall Ottawa Senators' Mete and Gaudette not receiving qualifying offers, will become UFAs. The Ottawa Senators are not sending qualifying offers to defenceman Victor Mete and forward Adam Gaudette, general manager Pierre Dorion announced Monday, making them both unrestricted free agents come Wednesday.

The #4 OA Toronto Maple Leafs .. Can use both Mete and Gaudette and sign them both to 1-way NHL contracts, "maybe they see more upside, and worst case depth".

The Leafs a top 5 overall playoff team, see the value in players waived and not wanted on bottom 5 non-playoff teams as potential useful depth?

Unless these are simply players signed to fill out the Marlies, this makes no sense to have a playoff team robbing from bottom feeding teams to help their NHL team of unwanted players.

Mete is a #8/9, he is also 24, he is not done developing, maybe they see some potential to be a bottom pairing D (doesn't have to be this year), and maybe he is a finished product, you brought up Gaudette to push your narrative.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
The Toronto Mar-whats?... ummmmm please 🤦🏻‍♂️ this is just my opinion but...

might as well try Hollowell or Niemela as your 8th, 9th depth defenseman type if through multiple injuries the team may need a player like Mete as your "Depth guy"... at least this way, you know what you have in your players... sometimes guys just need a chance... remember vegas first year?.. imho Mete is just not worth the contract spot...

I hope the leafs never need to use him on the roster next season...
You realize the Marlie's also have player's that get injured etc. as well right? Hence the word "Depth".

He's going to play in the AHL which means he will be a better player in the AHL then he has ever been in the NHL... It's like when a professional soccer player goes to the MLS.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
You realize the Marlie's also have player's that get injured etc. as well right? Hence the word "Depth".

He's going to play in the AHL which means he will be a better player in the AHL then he has ever been in the NHL... It's like when a professional soccer player goes to the MLS.
Why do so many people ask condescending questions here??? We'll see if he plays for the marlies...

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Why do so many people ask condescending questions here??? We'll see if he plays for the marlies...
He will.

BUT, if he manages to play for the leafs, it means he played extremely well in training camp. It means he was so impressive that dubas plays him over guys he favors. This is a gm who has favorites. It would be a good situation because it means he’s a good player. But this is unlikely.

The marlies d was bad last year. If only they fired the marlies coach.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Mete was fun to watch on the Habs. I was surprised they let him go. I really don’t remember noticing him on the sens.

There’s still one ex Hab d man from Toronto out there that I was expecting the Leafs to bring in on a minimum deal.

Reactions: banks

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
With both of these signings it seems unlikely they end up with the Marlies but rather snatched up on waivers. Mete is probably a worthwhile project for somebody. He did not look in over his head as a 19 year old rookie as he was rushed to the NHL. Let's face it he's better than someone like Mac Hollowell.

Jordie Benn hasn't played in the AHL for 10 years. At the end of training camp, some team(s) will probably go back to this well once they see their speculative signings perform at camp.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Not gonna lie, I loved watching him in London. Caught a couple games in the aud in his draft year and it was IMO clear that he was the much better player and prospect than Juolevi.

I think there might be something there to salvage in an organization that isn't a tire fire and appreciates mobility in a d. If nothing else he hopefully boosts the Marlies

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
Mete was fun to watch on the Habs. I was surprised they let him go. I really don’t remember noticing him on the sens.

There’s still one ex Hab d man from Toronto out there that I was expecting the Leafs to bring in on a minimum deal.
PK would be a great fit.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
He will.

BUT, if he manages to play for the leafs, it means he played extremely well in training camp. It means he was so impressive that dubas plays him over guys he favors. This is a gm who has favorites. It would be a good situation because it means he’s a good player. But this is unlikely.

The marlies d was bad last year. If only they fired the marlies coach.
If Dubas has favourites (for anything other than how good a hockey player you are or could be) that would mean to me that he is biased and sentimental... which would probably explain a lot 🤔 lol

I just hope these signings of Mete and Benn aren't happening because of potential upcoming trade(s) of guys like Sandin, Holl or Muzzin and they're expected to be anything other than full time Marlies...

I like our goalies now to be honest, but right now our "depth" is weaker than last season it seems...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad