Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Victor Mete.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I thought they liked Rubins...

Topi Niemela and Axel Rindell also similar smaller RHD in the pipeline and already under contract.

Of the players the Leafs decided to move on from, Rubīns was the only mild surprise. He is just 24 years old, he had worked his way up from the ECHL to earn an NHL contract and finally made his debut for the Leafs last season. The Leafs do have an influx of recently drafted defensemen coming to the Marlies that they will need to find ice time for and moving on from Rubīns will open the door for a player like Mikko Kokkonen to step into a role in his first full AHL campaign.

The 6-5/225 lbs Rubins signed with Ottawa yesterday, as these two teams seem to be robbing from each other with 5-9/170 Mete now coming to Leafs.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
FXqwEHXVQAAJEh4.jpg

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Of course not, Slick. Of course not. Only sane and rational people around here.
I mean, all you have to do is look at the Malgin thread and you see the downside of humanity.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good depth for the Marlies. Might push for #7 spot depending what happens in the next few weeks.

He'll probably be claimed though when he's on waivers and everyone will lose their minds.
That is how Ottawa got Mete in the first place from last place Montreal.

The Ottawa Senators claimed defenceman Victor Mete off waivers from the Montreal Canadiens April 12, 2021

Last edited:
Reactions: The Masters

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Shitz. And lots were so high on Rubins. Oh well, onto the next guy.

I liked what Rubins brought, but I don’t blame the guy. With Mo, Sandin, Muzzin and Gio ahead of him, the writing was on the wall at some point. His QO meant a one way contract, which he didn’t earn yet. He got a two way with Ottawa.

Reactions: Buds17

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I liked what Rubins brought, but I don’t blame the guy. With Mo, Sandin, Muzzin and Gio ahead of him, the writing was on the wall at some point. His QO meant a one way contract, which he didn’t earn yet. He got a two way with Ottawa.
So the Leafs gave Victor Mete a 1-way contract for the same amount $750k, to avoid giving it to Rubins instead a player they have been developing for 4 years now?

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
You clearly do not remember everybody losing their minds when Malgin left for the Swiss League.

Really? I took a break on the boards last summer and always just thought he was waived and on some clubs AHL team.

Is Mete the guy the commentators were gushing about the one time when Toronto played Ottawa?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So the Leafs gave Victor Mete a 1-way contract for the same amount $750k, to avoid giving it to Rubins instead a player they have been developing for 4 years now?

They are the same age, Mete is better, and maybe they see more upside?

Worst case he is depth along with Benn, nice to have a #8/9 who can play in the NHL

Reactions: Buds17

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They are the same age, Mete is better, and maybe they see more upside?

Worst case he is depth along with Benn, nice to have a #8/9 who can play in the NHL

The Ottawa Senators claimed defenceman Victor Mete off waivers from the #32 Montreal Canadiens.

The Ottawa Senators have claimed Adam Gaudette off waivers from #29 overall Chicago.

The #28 overall Ottawa Senators' Mete and Gaudette not receiving qualifying offers, will become UFAs. The Ottawa Senators are not sending qualifying offers to defenceman Victor Mete and forward Adam Gaudette, general manager Pierre Dorion announced Monday, making them both unrestricted free agents come Wednesday.

The #4 OA Toronto Maple Leafs .. Can use both Mete and Gaudette and sign them both to 1-way NHL contracts, "maybe they see more upside, and worst case depth".

The Leafs a top 5 overall playoff team, see the value in players waived and not wanted on bottom 5 non-playoff teams as potential useful depth?

Unless these are simply players signed to fill out the Marlies, this makes no sense to have a playoff team robbing from bottom feeding teams to help their NHL team of unwanted players.

Reactions: mapleleaf979

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You clearly do not remember everybody losing their minds when Malgin left for the Swiss League.
Just curious as to why you have to lie to attempt to support any position....mostly because there is no evidence to support any of your positions.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Just curious as to why you have to lie to attempt to support any position....mostly because there is no evidence to support any of your positions.

It was sarcasm. There was none just like there most likely won't be if Mete is claimed on waivers as the poster claimed. Was that a lie or a shot at the people who bitched about losing Brooks on waivers twice??

I have nothing to gain by lying on this board. I see the mistakes Dubas makes and I call a spade a spade. Sorry if it bothers you but I am not a Dubas ass licker.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Whose better Benn or Mete, I have no idea anymore..
Mete. He can skate, good vision, carry the puck...but his shot can't break a fart and his accuracy is barn size.

Benn is physical....mehh skater and he handles the puck like it's a grenade.

This comprison is between a Pinto and a K-car.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad