Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Grundstrom to ELC (see post #98)

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Grundstrom is a prospect who really intrigues me.

Could be a really good pick up and may slot higher in the lineup than the third line.

Curious to see a line with Nylander and Grundstrom sometime in the next year or two.....

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Compared to a Claude Lemieux. Damn that would be sweet, that means he is a dirty, 2-way, clutch playoff performer with soft hands... I'll take it

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
The best comparison I can come up for him is Hornqvist. He has much better hands than Komarov and is actually better along the boards. Better vision too.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The best comparison I can come up for him is Hornqvist. He has much better hands than Komarov and is actually better along the boards. Better vision too.

Better hands than Uncle Leo...there may be timbits players with better hands lol. Hornqvist is a good comparable though. Isn't that who people compared him to at the draft?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This player is exactly the type of young winger the team is missing. The team's physical forwards are getting long in the tooth.

I hope he doesn't sign then play in Sweden. Sounds like he would get a great benefit from NA ice time.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This player is exactly the type of young winger the team is missing. The team's physical forwards are getting long in the tooth.

I hope he doesn't sign then play in Sweden. Sounds like he would get a great benefit from NA ice time.

No idea what his contract situation is in Sweden but it's very likely he finishes his contract before coming over, similar to Andreas Johnson.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
This is kind of "an aside" question re: Grundstrom (and other Swedes/Finns too).

Does Sweden (Finland too?) still require 2 years military service? Was this not the case, at least in the '90s/2000s?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Grundstrom is a prospect who really intrigues me.

Could be a really good pick up and may slot higher in the lineup than the third line.

Curious to see a line with Nylander and Grundstrom sometime in the next year or two.....

Kapanen-Nylander-Grundstrom

yes please

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs are at 50 contracts max right now.

Which means this signing will be effective starting next year, unless they can figure out how to get rid of a contract.

Signing him and leaving him in Sweden wouldn't count against the 50 contracts this year.

They would need to sign him to an ATO for this season if they intend to use him in Marlie games. (I believe is the work around procedure).

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Which means this signing will be next year, unless they can figure out how to get rid of a contract.

Signing him and leaving him in Sweden wouldn't count against the 50 contracts this year.

But they don't have to sign him to leave him in Sweden so why would they bother?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Which means this signing will be next year, unless they can figure out how to get rid of a contract.

It wouldn't count for this year. His contract would start July 1st.

If he's coming over to play for the Marlies, he'd be signing an ATO, which doesn't count towards a contract spot. Similar to Johnson last season. Same with Bracco when he signs.

With that said, the Marlies have winger depth coming out of their ears. I don't think the plan is for him to come over right now regardless of our contract restrictions.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
But they don't have to sign him to leave him in Sweden so why would they bother?

help him out with some debts? get that signing bonus.

I have no idea why though. Maybe signing him now so he doesn't sign a new SHL deal? and comes to NA next season?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
help him out with some debts? get that signing bonus.

I have no idea why though. Maybe signing him now so he doesn't sign a new SHL deal? and comes to NA next season?
All I can think of is to ensure he comes over next year? A show of our high interest in him?
It's not like we can lose him to another team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What is most interesting about this is that yesterday Swedish representatives attended the GM meetings in Florida in hopes of convincing NHL GMs to leave Swedish drafted kids longer in Sweden and not sign and play them in the AHL early.

This signing news comes out 1 day after that was reported by Bob McKenzie yesterday. Lou Lam likely didn't take the request to heart.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
What is most interesting about this is that yesterday Swedish representatives attended the GM meetings in Florida in hopes of convincing NHL GMs to leave Swedish drafted kids longer in Sweden and not sign and play them in the AHL early.

This signing news comes out 1 day after that was reported by Bob McKenzie yesterday. Lou Lam likely didn't take the request to heart.

This issue has been going on for years now. I think there is already a clause that they can't be pulled out of a season to play in the ahl unless their shl contract has an out clause.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
This issue has been going on for years now. I think there is already a clause that they can't be pulled out of a season to play in the ahl unless their shl contract has an out clause.

did Nylander have an out clause? I always wondered what happened there. Maybe next season the SHL and NHL have an agreement no Swedish players in AHL and if we sign him now they avoid that and Grundstrom can play AHL nest season

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
did Nylander have an out clause? I always wondered what happened there. Maybe next season the SHL and NHL have an agreement no Swedish players in AHL and if we sign him now they avoid that and Grundstrom can play AHL nest season

I'm not 100% there are loopholes and clauses out the yin yang. I think either he had an out clause or since he was a top 10 he was exempt.
Contract and CBA stuff is not my strong suit so I'm half guessing.
If someone with better knowledge on this is reading please pipe in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad