Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign G Martin Jones (1 year, $875k)

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I didn't realize that he played 63 playoff games.
Yeah he was great for the Sharks in the playoffs. He was their starter the year they lost to the Pens in the cup finals. His playoff numbers are pretty good.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Because we dont even have a Kallgren in the minors, our next guy up would be Petruzzelli or Hildeby.
Either he's so good that he would help to salvage our season if both samsonov and woll go down, or he's so bad that nobody would bother claiming him as we shuffle him to the marlies and back. It can't be both.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
At some point an organization has to go with the young cheap players that they have. You have to give them time and see what you've got. I see no reason we can't have the confidence in woll to be a solid backup and a potential stopgap starter.

I swear, if the Leafs managed to sign two depth defensemen and Lilly became our number eight with almost no hope of playing more than 20 games next year, some of you would be applauding it because it strengthened our depth. You've got to actually give guys like this the minutes and let them fail sometimes.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Love this. Jones can actually win games, and it’s not like throwing a goalie in and not expecting to win, like Macilhenny (sp?) was. He’s not what he once was, but he can take the crease and play competently enough that we shouldn’t expect the goalie play to fall off a cliff, if we need him.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Either he's so good that he would help to salvage our season if both samsonov and woll go down, or he's so bad then nobody would bother claiming him as we shuffle him to the marlies and back. It can't be both.
Where did I say any of that?

And it could be both, just ask Seattle. He helped save their season and was a major reason for them making the playoffs, then went back to being garbage.
I get that, But why would the Leafs put him on waivers?
Because Woll wont pass through waivers and Samsonov is the starter. They signed Jones to be number 3, and to be number 3 he must pass through waivers.

Which part is difficult for you to understand? I will help as much as i can.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Unfortunate that the reward is likely to no longer be anywhere close to what it once was. For that price though and his probable place (#3) on the team's depth chart? Okay!

Last edited:

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
At some point an organization has to go with the young cheap players that they have. You have to give them time and see what you've got. I see no reason we can't have the confidence in woll to be a solid backup and a potential stopgap starter.

I swear, if the Leafs managed to sign two depth defensemen and Lilly became our number eight with almost no hope of playing more than 20 games next year, some of you would be applauding it because it strengthened our depth. You've got to actually give guys like this the minutes and let them fail sometimes.
I don’t think this signing means they don’t have confidence in Woll. It means they don’t want to thrust one of their prospects in the AHL into playing games they may not be ready for if Samsonov or Woll get hurt.

Ideally Jones plays in the AHL all year. Either no one gets hurt or one of the prospects steps up, out plays Jones and shows that they are ready.
This isn’t like signing a Dman to push Liljegren out of the lineup, it’s like signing Gambrel to play in the AHL and be ready to be called up if needed. It would be great if no one ever got hurt and they needed to call Gambrel up, it would be great if a forward prospect stepped up and got the call up instead. But otherwise it’s nice to have experience down there if we need it

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Do you even have any understanding of our "young cheap players" with respect to goalies?

Which one of these guys do you want to be our #3 Goalie, when there is inevitably going to be injuries to one of our top 2?

Goalie A/ Total North American experience
Toronto MarliesAHL25.280.849

Goalie B/ Total AHL Experience.

30 games2.93.908

and the other two have never played a game in the AHL.

So a combined 32 games in the AHL... and no games in the NHL. Seriously, give your head a shake, if you think these guys have earned their shot yet. Maybe Goalie B gets a look later in the season, if they excel with the Marlies.... but you would still prefer to have someone with experience.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I have a weird feeling that Jones vs Woll will become a McElhinney vs Sparks type debate.
I'm hoping then that Treliving is even higher on Woll than Dubas was Sparks because management is trying to figure out if Samsonov is an Andersen or something better.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Nice, he and Woll can battle at camp for the #2 spot, and it's good to have an NHL-worthy #3. If Woll wins the #2 spot in camp, and we send Jones down to the Marlies, hopefully nobody claims him on the waiver wire.

I do hope Woll wins though, he has significant upside IMO, and I'm pretty sure he's no longer waiver exempt. If we waive Jones, decent chance he goes unclaimed, but if we waive Woll, he's almost for sure getting claimed.

Reactions: Pholus and saltming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad