Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign C/LW Miro Aaltonen to an ELC

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Sosh was signed at 21 and played in the NHL before the AHL (edit: nvm was looking at the wrong site for this).

Aaltonen is now 23 (24 next month), producing better than Sosh was in the KHL. I don't think he's going to the Marlies. I mean it makes sense to develop him down there but i'm sure he would prefer KHL to riding the bus in the A...

perhaps they are planning on moving out komarov and JVR (doesn't have to be those 2) in order to protect Rychel and Leipsic this guy obviously doesnt need protecting, I mean we have at least 2 (Kapanen, Leipsis) ready for NHL now and Rychel maybe too maybe not quite. Now this guy it will either be a huge battle in camp or they are planning on making some moves in the summer

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sosh was signed at 21 and played in the NHL before the AHL (edit: nvm was looking at the wrong site for this).

Aaltonen is now 23 (24 next month), producing better than Sosh was in the KHL. I don't think he's going to the Marlies. I mean it makes sense to develop him down there but i'm sure he would prefer KHL to riding the bus in the A...

Good points here. I just don't see how he displaces any players in our top 12 projected for next season... but it's not impossible. I still think a good portion of this upcoming season will be with the Marlies.

Aaltonen is legit. First KHL season on pretty average team, and he was one of the reason Vityaz made it to the playoffs first time in its history.

And Aaltonen was very good for Finnish NT at Euro Tours. Probably even the best.

Good to know. It sounds like a very good signing.

Makes you wonder if Anaheim tried to sign him or if he completely rejected them?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
With the Marlies, yes. Not with the Leafs unless it's on an emergency basis I believe. Very unlikely he would play even if he could.

if emergency was needed on the leafs they have Kap and Leipsic and others already accustomed to NA ice this guy doesn't get a chance at the leafs this year especially due to 50 contract limit as you pointed out in the Grundstrom thread he could sign a ATO for the marlies

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It's possible. It depends if he's going to the World Championships?

Miro Aaltonen is one potential candidate to play in Finland's world championships team.
And that Finland's head coach Lauri Marjamaki is his ex coach from Oulun Karpat won't hurt his chances to make in the team.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yes.
Miro Aaltonen is one potential candidate to play in Finland's world championships team and that Finland's head coach Lauri Marjamaki is his ex coach from Oulun Karpat won't hurt his chances to make in the team.

With the season he had, sounds like a very good possibility to me looking at the Finnish potential roster.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Why would he sign to play for the Marlies?

I think he's going to get a real good shot to play for the Leafs

haven't gotten the impression that he has been pursued by a lot of clubs - Panarin was a guy that assurances had to be made to get here because he played for a rich club and had lots of NHL competition for his services. Even Zaitsev had options I think...this is probably closer to a Soshnikov level signing where the chance to play in the NHL and payday associated with it were worth the risk of leaving the KHL

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Another forward.

Leaves me to believe Lou will be dealing some of our forward prospects this summer.

He should also fill the hole on the Marlies of whichever guy we might lose to expansion.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With the Marlies, yes. Not with the Leafs unless it's on an emergency basis I believe. Very unlikely he would play even if he could.

Thanks, just curious, I don't expect that he would play.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He played most of the season with Karpat as a center, so it's possible the Leafs see him as a center more than a winger.

Good point, but in any case a solid depth move for next year. That kind of versatility should help keep us from having a Smith type as one of our top 3 C's in a game

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Highlight reels for anyone who cares to peruse, mostly 2012/2013 vintage and no KHL. He looks a lot like Andreas Johnsson on the ice to me

Don't press play on this one unless your stomach is strong:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
why another winger, we have enough in the system.

Why do people look at it like this?

What if he's better than all of our wingers outside of Marner and Nylander? The worst winger gets pushed out of the organization and the Leafs get better. That's how building a Cup contending team works.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
That's unfair to Sosh given how he's used. He's got more to give if played further up.

Nice signing here though with Aaltonen.

That's true, but Sosh doesn't have the ability to be a top end forward, he plays a much more grinding style.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Just cant stop thinking about Petri Kontiola.....

I know Aaltonen's a lot younger, but year

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
That's true, but Sosh doesn't have the ability to be a top end forward, he plays a much more grinding style.

Yeah Sosh is all speed and shot. He's goes 100mph at all times and doesn't really think the game well. Perfect for a 3rd line energy guy that can score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad