Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign C/LW Miro Aaltonen to an ELC

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
panarin is bigger than this guy (only an inch), We have marner, Nylander, Komarov , Brown and Soshnokov with Leipsic likely here next year how many do we want? as long as someone is traded it should be fine but id rather not have the smallest team in the league.

I don't care. Talent is talent. Bring all of the 5'10-5'11" players in the world if it means it'll give us a good players.

I'm sure the size balance will be met. It'll be OK.

You don't turn down a good free wallet due to the scale.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Panarin also played for SKA. The team that has more talent then any other, and regularly puts a lot more pucks in the net then most teams.

sure, im not saying you say no to this guy based on size I hope we don't go into next year with 7 of 12 forwards sub 6' that is all. Willy may be a legit 6' or bigger now he seems bigger than Marner even though they are both listed at 6'. Its not the end of the world give him a shot sure

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
23 years old (few months older than Sosh), you would think he would have been assured he'll be given a fair shot at training camp to make the Leafs.

Lots of LW competition next year with Leivo, Rychel, Leipsic, Johnsson, etc.

Have to figure that someone will be shipped out, our part of a bigger move this summer.

Perhaps the Leafs fear they are going to lose one of Leipsic or Rychel to the expansion draft and signed this guy because of that.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Perhaps the Leafs fear they are going to lose one of Leipzic or Rychel to the expansion draft and signed this guy because of that.

Or maybe they just wanted to sign a player they think can develop into something.

What a concept. :laugh:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
why another winger, we have enough in the system.

Why not?

Jeez I thought this was a nice signing with a lot of interesting potential. I didn't think I needed to put some perspective into signing a player to an ELC.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Possibly, it was mentioned he has played C, as well. Always good to have more C/W options in the organization.

Yeah. Though there's no long term future for him here at C if his game translates. If this is the case, he likely sticks at wing and moves to the middle if one of Naz, Willy, or Matthews go down with injury.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
why another winger, we have enough in the system.

What if that player is Kane, do we turn him down too because he is a winger?
You get talent no matter what size or position.
To the size person, just because we signed 1 player under 200 pounds doesnt mean we will be the smallest team in the NHL. Some of you would have not signed Panarin and made a decision based on how much weight and height he had. Good thing Hunter doesnt do that.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
What's everyone's problem with bringing in a solid prospect on an ELC. He's here to compete with other prospects in the system with the hope of locking up a job with the Leafs someday.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Why not?

Jeez I thought this was a nice signing with a lot of interesting potential. I didn't think I needed to put some perspective into signing a player to an ELC.

We don't want wingers, stop, wingers are worthless, you only need 6 in the entire system, once that happens we turn down Kane if he were offered I tell you. This is why we're going to pass on 4 of our picks in the next draft, and release Timashov. We don't want any damn wingers I tell you.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
given the recent success of our pro scouting staff in the region, how is anyone seeing this as a bad thing? The only thing at risk is a contract spot

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Why would he sign to play for the Marlies?

I think he's going to get a real good shot to play for the Leafs

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Perhaps the Leafs fear they are going to lose one of Leipsic or Rychel to the expansion draft and signed this guy because of that.

Or maybe they just wanted to sign a player they think can develop into something.

What a concept. :laugh:

Why not both? Our wing depth is likely going to take a huge hit this offseason. Not just expansion draft but waivers, potential trades etc

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He'll get his chance, I'm sure. But he'll very likely start with the Marlies for at least a big portion of the 2017-2018 season, similar to Soshnikov.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

No guarantee he makes the Leafs, so hopefully he's fine with playing with Marlies.

But have to figure he signed this contract with the idea of playing for the Leafs next year. He is older than Sosh, Rielly, Brown, etc.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
He'll get his chance, I'm sure. But he'll very likely start with the Marlies for at least a big portion of the 2017-2018 season, similar to Soshnikov.

Sosh was signed at 21 and played in the NHL before the AHL (edit: nvm was looking at the wrong site for this).

Aaltonen is now 23 (24 next month), producing better than Sosh was in the KHL. I don't think he's going to the Marlies. I mean it makes sense to develop him down there but i'm sure he would prefer KHL to riding the bus in the A...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why not both? Our wing depth is likely going to take a huge hit this offseason. Not just expansion draft but waivers, potential trades etc

He played most of the season with Karpat as a center, so it's possible the Leafs see him as a center more than a winger.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Aaltonen is legit. First KHL season on pretty average team, and he was one of the reason Vityaz made it to the playoffs first time in its history.

And Aaltonen was very good for Finnish NT at Euro Tours. Probably even the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad