Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign C/LW Miro Aaltonen to an ELC

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

According to scouts, Aaltonen is an excellent skater, is skilled and creative with the puck, and is a strong playmaker. He’s also been characterized as a player who plays a high energy game which helps compensate for being undersized.

A smaller player, Aaltonen is generously listed at 5-10 and 176 pounds. In several viewings last season, Aaltonen was crafty with the puck and a quick, efficient, productive handler. A more gifted passer than shooter, Aaltonen is one of those rare players who can find time and space in the slot to create his opportunities on quick, one-touch plays.

Last year, Aaltonen played a great deal of centre with Karpat but he also spent a decent chunk of the season playing on the wing with centre Mika Niemi on Karpat’s second line.

Aaltonen gives the Leafs more options down the middle, where they are most thin, while also providing another young depth forward — similar to the way Nikita Soshnikov joined the organization.

Former 6th round pick of the Ducks in 2013.

44 points in 59 KHL games this season.

5'10" ~175 lbs.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
why? we haven't collected all the 5'10" and smaller forwards yet?

I'm not saying he's Panarin, because 99.999% chance he's not. But would you decline to sign Panarin because you have enough small forwards already? You would look stupid in hindsight if you did.

If they really like him and think he has potential then he's another asset with upside.

But again I know nothing about him, just saying I wouldn't decline every small forward because we have a bunch.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Good housekeeping I guess but doesn't seem that necessary. I guess the plan is to go through as many Spencer Abbott's as necessary to find the next Artemi Panarin.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
why? we haven't collected all the 5'10" and smaller forwards yet?

Size is irrelevant. You get players you think are good. They obviously liked him enough to bring him here.

Why must some look at size and completely make up their mind that it's a waste of time?

Soshnikov has been a great KHL find and he's not exactly big. Panarin is super small and is now of the best offensive wingers in the NHL.

Can we talk about the player, not the scale for a second?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Good housekeeping I guess but doesn't seem that necessary. I guess the plan is to go through as many Spencer Abbott's as necessary to find the next Artemi Panarin.

Or maybe another Soshnikov or Komarov? Not every player has to be an all-star.

It's ok to find some good secondary pieces with interesting upside, you know?

I don't get why people don't understand this kind of signing.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm not saying he's Panarin, because 99.999% chance he's not. But would you decline to sign Panarin because you have enough small forwards already? You would look stupid in hindsight if you did.

If they really like him and think he has potential then he's another asset with upside.

But again I know nothing about him, just saying I wouldn't decline every small forward because we have a bunch.

panarin had 62 points in 54 games year before the NHL, this guy had 44 in 59 its not really the same tier though is it they were both 23 the year they left the K

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Sweet, doubt they'd give him a contract if they didn't think he had potential. Safe to say he'll be a Marlie next year?

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
23 years old (few months older than Sosh), you would think he would have been assured he'll be given a fair shot at training camp to make the Leafs.

Lots of LW competition next year with Leivo, Rychel, Leipsic, Johnsson, etc.

Have to figure that someone will be shipped out, our part of a bigger move this summer.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dont know anything about him aside from stats and the first post, however looks like a decent pickup.

You try to get talent no matter what size.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
23 years old (few months older than Sosh), you would think he would have been assured he'll be given a fair shot at training camp to make the Leafs.

Lots of LW competition next year with Leivo, Rychel, Leipsic, Johnsson, etc.

Have to figure that someone will be shipped out, our part of a bigger move this summer.

He can play center from what I've read, but he's probably more likely to be a winger in NA I assume?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Size is irrelevant. You get players you think are good. They obviously liked him enough to bring him here.

Why must some look at size and completely make up their mind that it's a waste of time?

Soshnikov has been a great KHL find and he's not exactly big. Panarin is super small and is now of the best offensive wingers in the NHL.

Can we talk about the player, not the scale for a second?

panarin is bigger than this guy (only an inch), We have marner, Nylander, Komarov , Brown and Soshnokov with Leipsic likely here next year how many do we want? as long as someone is traded it should be fine but id rather not have the smallest team in the league.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
panarin had 62 points in 54 games year before the NHL, this guy had 44 in 59 its not really the same tier though is it they were both 23 the year they left the K

Panarin also played for SKA. The team that has more talent then any other, and regularly puts a lot more pucks in the net then most teams.

Edit: Not implying they are on the same tier. But players on SKA regularly have higher production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad